Trapezoid side bars

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just bought some of these. I noticed the ends were open. Apparently they are genuine oem. Can anyone tell me do the genuine ones have open ends or are they blanked off?

Mine are open as well. Genuine OEM
Get some good wax in the ends as they tend to rust after 18mnths. True story.

well i'm on with fitting them and they don't sit central to the van. wondering if the brackets are for a long wheel base ?

It sits closer to the back arch than the front.

IMG_20200213_144828.jpg

Hmm. Unsure about that. I know they sit a little short to miss the jacking points. Pics of mine below if that helps....

0E20B529-E480-4A34-9E14-9967317B5C30.png

5FC32479-F360-4A7F-98CE-7392FBE64AF7.png

That is right. The front has to clear the jack support at the front of the sill.

Alan

Cheers. The instructions clearly state it should be in the middle. And I definitely didn't get the brackets wrong

IMG_20200213_185927.jpg

Is a certain one for a certain side?
No.i like your thinking though. They are both exactly the same and both sit more towards the back. Looking at the jack points it makes sense. I had side bars on my beach and for the life of me I never noticed if they also sat back a bit

How does stainless steel rust? :stop
I have rusted stainless steel, I thought stainless steel couldn't rust?
stainless-steel-rust-before-after-2.jpg

Yes! Stainless steel can rust. If you are experiencing rust on your 'stainless' steel, you are not alone as we often have customers call us looking for help with that very same issue; rust on their stainless steel.

There are over 150 grades of stainless steel and some are more prone to corrosion than others. Generally, the higher the chromium content, the less likely the steel will rust. However, over time, rust can and will develop on stainless steel. To prevent stainless steel from rusting, you need to passivate it. Passivating stainless steel is a process that allows stainless steel to retain its corrosion resistance.

Factors Affecting Stainless Steel Rust
There are a few factors that can affect the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. The composition of the steel affects corrosion resistance. Even within grades of stainless steel, impurities in the steel can affect the corrosion resistance. The environment is another big factor in stainless steel rust. Environments with chlorine, like swimming pools, are highly corrosive. Salt water environments affect stainless steel, just to a lesser extent than carbon steel. In all environments, properly passivating your stainless steel will prevent it from rusting.

Our VW trapezoid side bars are 4 years old. 40,000 camping miles. No rust, only been washed.

@WelshGas are you sure your example is not due the manufacturer using a steel wire wheel to clean up? Common problem as it impregnates the surface with Iron particles that will oxidise and give the impression of rust.

Our VW trapezoid side bars are 4 years old. 40,000 camping miles. No rust, only been washed.

@WelshGas are you sure your example is not due the manufacturer using a steel wire wheel to clean up? Common problem as it impregnates the surface with Iron particles that will oxidise and give the impression of rust.
No idea. Just making the point that not all stainless steels are equal, and that some can rust under certain conditions and water & road salt are one of them.
I have genuine VW tubular side bars. Over 5 yrs old and 95,000 miles and no rust .