Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to the EU

Trojax

Trojax

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Morning all, I am sure this has been discussed many times, but always worth a discussion. What is the best way out of the UK in to the EU ?? and the best pricing. Ferry or Tunnel what discounts are going around and best time to Book one the day or in advance.....checking the sites both are coming in at around 400 to 450 return......Thankyou

A lot depends on where you live and where you want to go. I live in South Wales so my only option is either Portsmouth or Plymouth. Dover or the Channel tunnel add on an extra 80 miles and takes us to the wrong part of France so doesn’t economically work out for us. Booking early we have found is best as prices alway tend to rise nearer the sailing date.

As above it will depend on where you want to go and when. Avoid start of school holidays at Dover.

France - you have Newhaven, Dover or the tunnel
Belgium/ Netherlands - go from UK east coast or Dover.
Spain - Portsmouth of Plymouth

There are sites that compare ferry crossings. I would start by looking to see where all the ferries go from and where to.

Other consideration is how long you want the crossing to be. Tunnel is quick, ferries are slower. Do you want to a overnight crossing.

Starting from Birmingham you will need to use part of the M25 to get to the south coast. No fun at the best of times.

As I live in the east and have to use the Dartford crossing I always allow extra time to get to any port on the south coast. For the tunnel I have stayed overnight near by and taken a early crossing giving a early start in France to pass Paris. Years ago I used Harwich to Nook van Holland but it is a long crossing and driving around Rotterdam is just like the M25.

Re pricing you may find discounts via varies clubs like caravan club. Also you want to consider flexibility can you cancel or change if traffic problems or breakdown.

Hope this helps, part of the fun of going is in the planning.

Morning all, I am sure this has been discussed many times, but always worth a discussion. What is the best way out of the UK in to the EU ?? and the best pricing. Ferry or Tunnel what discounts are going around and best time to Book one the day or in advance.....checking the sites both are coming in at around 400 to 450 return......Thankyou
You could try DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe ,if you are over 60 phone them up to get 20% discount not mentioned on their Web site nice 4 hour crossing. Just came back last week was £136. with a small trailer

Back