Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling at motorway speeds with full water tank

He maybe getting confused with the Grand California, where it is recommended that you don’t travel with more than 20% of water in the tank. Even that’s a bit silly but on a Cali Ocean that’s ridiculous.

Now,

I've had this argument regarding Hymer Campervans, all of which have a 100 litre tank on it. People often say it is RECOMMENDED by Hymer to only carry 20 litres but when I looked into it the 20L comes from the MIRO calculations, not a recommended travelling limit. In other words when the MIRO is calculated they assume 20kg of water being on board.

Given that I trust water from my own tap more than I do from a campsite tap I travel with it mostly full.

Personally I would rather have 100 litres full and stable than 20 litres sloshing around all over the place.

TBF I'm guessing 80 liter fuel tanks are probably baffled.
100 liter water tanks on grand?.. probably not.

Also never drive without a front seat passenger - as vehicle is otherwise very unbalanced

Now,

I've had this argument regarding Hymer Campervans, all of which have a 100 litre tank on it. People often say it is RECOMMENDED by Hymer to only carry 20 litres but when I looked into it the 20L comes from the MIRO calculations, not a recommended travelling limit. In other words when the MIRO is calculated they assume 20kg of water being on board.

Given that I trust water from my own tap more than I do from a campsite tap I travel with it mostly full.

Personally I would rather have 100 litres full and stable than 20 litres sloshing around all over the place.

I was having a read of the manual the other week. If memory serves me correctly, it’s recommended by Hymer to drive with the tanks empty, or adjust payload depending on how much water you’re carrying.
How someone(Joe Bloggs) calculates this, I’ve no idea. Therefore they’ve gone nuclear to cover themselves and advised empty.

I was having a read of the manual the other week. If memory serves me correctly, it’s recommended by Hymer to drive with the tanks empty, or adjust payload depending on how much water you’re carrying.
How someone(Joe Bloggs) calculates this, I’ve no idea. Therefore they’ve gone nuclear to cover themselves and advised empty.
The GC water tank has 2 settings on the drain side, you can drain it down to 20L which is the recommended amount for driving and then a further turn will fully empty the water tank.

Morning all,

So I'm finally seeing some of the MY23 Oceans dropping to around the £65k mark (which is my absolute max budget)

However when viewing one last week I was told by the guy at VW Van Centre that I shouldn't travel on the motorway with the water tanks more than 20% full as the weight cause instability at speed and it can invalidate the warranty. Straight to the CC forums I thought, for a second, possibly more reliable opinion based on actual experience...

Is this the case in reality? Has anyone travelled on bends at 70mph with a full water tank, and if so was there an issue? Or is it a case of VW being over cautious, perhaps?

I intend using the vehicle for several weeks long solar-powered off grid summer adventures, mostly using Brit Stops (mainly pub carparks) and had envisaged filling the water and fuel tanks at a garage or motorway services, then heading down A roads and similar, to the eventual overnight destination, as not all of the advertised locations have water available.

All advice / tips and real life experience of driving with a full water tank appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like he needs another brain cell to keep the first one company. I've driven on the German autobahns at over 190 km/h with full diesel and water tanks with zero problems. Just to test the top speed of course.

Back