Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling dogs

Philynn

Philynn

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have two lovely (smallish) labrador who travel in the boot. This means we have to unload everything from the boot into the van and vice versa whenever we arrive / leave camp. They sleep downstairs and we sleep upstairs. To save all this toing and froing I thought maybe they could travel on the parcel shelf so we've still got storage beneath them but wondering if they'd be too heavy. Any idea of weight limit for the parcel shelf?

Two of my female border collies occasionally travel on the rear parcel shelf (in a very large soft crate) on days out etc. Their combined weight is roughly 35Kg and the shelf takes their weight easily. I would think your two would be okay.

Maud

If you make some supports for the parcel shelf so the weight goes to the floor instead the hinge it could work . But would they not crawl over the seat?
Why don't you put them in the backspace in a harnass secured in the seatbelt on the seat .
Or in a foldable cage on the floor .( like we have bought recent for our Vizsla)
At arrival just fold down the cage and trow it in the back.

The way you travel comprimise the whole Cali way of travelling , we use the rear at stopovers for cofffe , food , resting out....
When you have that area stuffed there's now way making a cuppa and eating a sandwich in the rear... could not work for us.
There are some things to find in the dog section on the forum.

Given that the parcel shelf forms part of the downstairs bed for two adults, it surely would carry the weight of 2 dogs. Ours has certainly coped with my 60kg when I've climbed over to turn on the gas or close the rear blind from the inside.

I think you're probably right looby - and your definitely right hotel california - hence the rethink about how we travel. That's all part of the fun though - always lots to learn!

We have one lab and he travels curled up on his bed behind the front seats. When he gets bored up creeps up between the seats and settles by the hand brake.
He sleeps in the overhang of the bench bed.

S.

They say that about 75% of folk aren't aware that its now law in the UK to have dogs restrained whilst in a moving vehicle. No idea what the deal is in Europe.

Our dogs wear harnesses that the seat belt goes through so they are safe and can move on the seat, but won't go flying in an accident or get under my feet whilst driving.

Think about what could happen to the dogs on the parcel shelf in an emergency stop or accident. They'd become airborn. I personally wouldn't recommend that.

In Belgium no laws,

In Germany pets need to be in a cage or harnass on seatbelt .

One Europe , no unity in laws....

Good thinking by Matt , a pet will probally not survive a heavy crash , but by caging or putting them in a harnass prevents them getting a projectiel smashing in your neck during a accident.

I thought my dog would love to sprawl on the back bench, with a harness to restrain her, alas no. She just panted with stress.
So we now use a crate which fits snugly in front of the bench and behind the fridge. However, despite a rubber rug, the crate still moves when I go around some country corners (too fast), so am having D-rings fitted soon to enable me to strap the crate in.
She loves the security of the crate.
I'll be much happier when it won't budge...especially if we have an emergency stop....!

I travel with 6 dogs: Kerry Blue, 2 working cockers, 3 small terriers. I have a Lintran box on top of the parcel shelf and the cockers and Kerry Blue travel in that and three hanging dog beds (Solvit and Kurgo) that the three terriers travel in, tethered by harnesses. At night the cockers and Little Man (terrier) stay in the Lintran, Kerry Blue on floor with vet bed and two other terriers on passenger and drivers chairs. It works very well indeed, but I must be very strict in loading up ZuluCampi, no frivolous extras.o_Oo_O

Are there any harnesses that don’t require the dogs to be on the bench seat, if you are travelling with 4 humans on board, what options do people use to ensure dog safety? We have a labrador and border collie x and are about to travel from France to the UK with three people. We won’t be able to fit a cage of any sort in? Suggestions would be great please.

Hi Moorcrofts
There is one on Amazon 24 to 36 inch long (adjustable) with a bungee section which links the seat belt socket to a harnessI its sold by AMBM. Was thinking of trying this has anyone any experience of something like this?
We have 3 dogs, 2 used to have crate in back with the third on a harness on the backseat, but the old boy is struggling with arthritis now and would be more comfortable in a bed on the floor at the side door

We have a D ring (from the club shop) fitted in the floor rail and Jess has a harness which is connected to the D ring by a short lead. We also have a plywood board, fitted with 50mm foam to one side, which rests against the back of the seats. She normally leans against this when travelling and in the event of an accident would hopefully be thrown against it. The padded board also serves to prevent her from trying to move forward between the seats. So far she seems happy enough travelling this way.

Hi Moorcrofts
There is one on Amazon 24 to 36 inch long (adjustable) with a bungee section which links the seat belt socket to a harnessI its sold by AMBM. Was thinking of trying this has anyone any experience of something like this?
We have 3 dogs, 2 used to have crate in back with the third on a harness on the backseat, but the old boy is struggling with arthritis now and would be more comfortable in a bed on the floor at the side door

36 inches will be just long enough to clip into the seatbelt and onto a harness, and let the dog lie on the floor.

We have two dogs and use a similar type that clips into the seatbelt mounts and has a clip on the other end for the dog harness.

The ones we have are 25 inches long, and are just about long enough for the dogs to sit on the floor, just in front of the bench, but it doesnt look that comfortable. We have been thinking of looking for slightly longer ones.

If you have more than 2 dogs and 2 passengers though as the OP does... I guess it starts getting tricky!

I use a harness and this clips to small loop that attaches to seat belt. Archie is quite limited in movement. He sits on the passenger seat but when it’s hot or windscreen wipers are on (he’s decided he doesn’t like them) he gets off and rests between the seats. He sits there if someone wants to sit in his (the passenger) seat. I don’t like the idea of those long leads that attach to seat belt clips as the dog will be launched if you crash and hurt himself and anyone he hits. Clearly Archie would prefer to sleep on the bedding on the bench looking out of window between snoozes but some rules need to followed.

Back