Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to South of France

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are off to to the South of France next week, we will be travelling from Dieppe and heading down to the Nice area and will possibly pop over into Italy for a few days.

A few questions, what is the best stop over half way, has anyone ever done it in one go?

Once down in the South, any places that are a must see, or places to avoid?

Thanks

It can be done in one go but why hurry?

I went Calais South towards Rouen and Tours, then East and south down the A75 which is spectacular. I stopped off in Clermont which is desperate. If I was doing it again then I would stop off somewhere like Vichy, then travel south A75 then East A80 to Lyon.

If I was doing that though I would be terribly tempted to take a bit more time, travel past Clermont on the A75 and cut across the Cevenne to Nimes.

Do keep in mind France it is actually pretty hard to to cross west to east .....
Most big highways/autoroutes go north-south or to Paris ...where you don't want end up by car..:confused:

Just drive allong the coast down south , head to Bordeaux , then coss the country thru the Dordognne , Mid-pyrinees to the Cote d'Azur take your time and enjoy the amazing France....
Nice , Monaco are great .
Campers are not that common there but think you find some nice places to spend the night on campsites.​

I did it in one day when I was young and in a hurry. Would be better if you can share the driving. Not recommended if you have kids as they will go stir crazy :)

If you do go for a big drive use the toll roads as they will be clear this time of year - they are quite expensive, but with the price of diesel and the exchange rate you will be fine. If you are taking your time then you can come off the autoroutes :)

We did Frejus in the summer and took 2 weeks to get down there via Belgium, Luxemborg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

We came back with 2 stops:

Absolutely no problem in one hit, we did Provence to Sussex last summer in one hit, just start as early as you can!

But....the joy of motor caravaning is taking your time and France is not short of great camp sites do I'd take more time if you can.

I did trips home in Belgium to Bordeaux sevral times in one trip only stopping twice for fuell /toilet and back on the road....+1000 km in less than 10 hours. You need to push the pedal to do this .
Then some last years the same habbit in the direction of the Provence.
Got relatives living in France.
But since we got the Cali now for three years we take the time to see the inland and don't use the peage/toll roads that often.
You get to see a whole difrrent country and save on toll and fuell ( driving 90km\h is more economic than 130 or more on highways) , but it takes more time and sleepovers ( wich there are thousends of in France!)
We just got back from France this sathurday , read our adventures here:
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/france-trip-12nights-booked-the-hotel-california-suite.11414/
Did almost 2500 km but only 200 km peage....

Dieppe, Rouen, Dreux, Chartres (well worth a stop to see the cathedral), across to the autoroute downto Orleans (all decent roads with some dual carriageway), Clermont Ferrand (agree with Jen unless you stop and see the volcanos), and down to Milau (stunning scenery on this free motorway), over the bridge (a must do stop, possible overnight there), Montpelier and on to Nice.
We regularly go to the Pyrenees in one day from Dieppe or Calais so can be done in a day if you want to get there in a rush.

+1 for the Millau bridge, stunning roads to it and then Gorge de Tarn (awesome road) afterwards.
Been down that way several times on the motorbike, always kept of the peage/motorways so that we could enjoy fanastic roads and scenery.
Enjoy your trip.
ps Montblanc is a dull drive through, expensive and well policed.

Our midway stop is usually at Beaune, great wine area very good campsite not too far from A6 see

http://www.camping-savigny-les-beaune.fr/language/en/home/

If you like the mountains and great roads worth heading to Nice via the route Napoleon, leave A6 take road to Grenoble and follow N85 towards Gap, then meander via the Mercantour NP towards Nice.

Another beautiful place on route south is Lac de Croix, well off the main routes however, see

http://www.camping-la-source.eu/

Places to avoid, Nice! extremely busy, beaches mobbed and sea water is disgusting (do not wear swimming goggles as you will never stay in the water).

Our midway stop is usually at Beaune, great wine area very good campsite not too far from A6 see

http://www.camping-savigny-les-beaune.fr/language/en/home/

If you like the mountains and great roads worth heading to Nice via the route Napoleon, leave A6 take road to Grenoble and follow N85 towards Gap, then meander via the Mercantour NP towards Nice.

Another beautiful place on route south is Lac de Croix, well off the main routes however, see

http://www.camping-la-source.eu/

Places to avoid, Nice! extremely busy, beaches mobbed and sea water is disgusting (do not wear swimming goggles as you will never stay in the water).

Beaune , just use the free camperspot , five minutes from autoroute , five minutes walk to beautiful towncenter market on sathurday , you will sleep safe next to the gendarmerie....

All off the Cote d'Azur is busy ....in the highseason ! But they plan to go now so no problem.
As for dirty water....i never go in any sea , lake or public waterpool whatever! Not keen on bathing in otherones pee!

Heard of the route Napoleon but never did it.

Beaune , just use the free camperspot , five minutes from autoroute , five minutes walk to beautiful towncenter market on sathurday , you will sleep safe next to the gendarmerie....

All off the Cote d'Azur is busy ....in the highseason ! But they plan to go now so no problem.
As for dirty water....i never go in any sea , lake or public waterpool whatever! Not keen on bathing in otherones pee!

Heard of the route Napoleon but never did it.

Saw the free camperspot in the Aire guide book but find these free sites in towns noisy for us, too much like car parks, prefer somewhere more relaxing to sit with my glass of wine.

We went from Cherbourg to Menton on minor roads last year staying 2 night on one site, 3 nights on another and 1 night in a municipal site. So 7 days in all, very gentle, on quiet roads and on lovely sites.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Why rush!

Alan

Thanks for all the replies, we are looking to stay in Menton for a few nights but we're worried about the migrant problems they have been having in the town?

We did the Route Napoleon last year - beautiful scenery and a nice - medium speed French road, although about half way through the kids got board of the alps, and got a bit sea sick with the switchbacks!

So if doing that route my tip would be:
  1. Don't take kids
  2. Get the suspension lowered first :)

As a general piece of advice, either do fast or interesting. We have pottering days and A to B days, but we don't try to sightsee on an A to B day - except maybe a few minutes to gawp at the fabulous Millau bridge from the visitor centre on the north side if you go that way. We use peages on the A to B days. Didn't when we started five years ago but speed and convenience hooked us in. But Google toll fee routes through France, as there are options. +1 for east of Paris route, Savigny and Millau.

We have just come back from the south of France and we also stop at beune as it seems to be about halfway and the sat nav misses Paris !! We try and get into the municipal site in beune which has a good restaurant and we can stock up in the town with the best cheeses and wines .over two days you are looking at 5.5 hours per day which is acceptable we think.

We stopped at Camping La Grappe d'Or in Mersault
Beautiful views over vineyards and an excellent restaurant
Have previously stayed at the municipal in Beaune..walking distance to town