Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tri-Zone, CarPlay & BikeRack Help

L

LondonPride

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All

Been absent for a while as money was put into an extension. But back up and looking to buy a Beach. Have found 2 which suit which are a 15 and 17 plate, but as they don’t make this anymore from new, I cant find the exact spec I wanted.

1. One has Tri Zone, but think this is going to be harder to secure - private sale, a few people in front of me and possibly not the best spec. But has Tri-Zone. Other has pretty much everything we want bar TriZone. We have 3 kids. How are the vans without Tri-Zone and just main cab air con? Considering the van for long drives down to Alps in summer when it will be hot....

2. Both vans have DAB Plus Radio. Anyone know if this has Apple Carplay? They are both Tech packages if that helps....not entirely sure what this includes and cant find any info about it

3. Bike racks. I seem to remember there was a time when VW stopped selling the bike rack. Can you still get it do you know? Anyone have a rough price for an after market tow bar and would this be recommended?

Thanks for your help. Appreciate I might not get exact spec I wanted but trying to weigh up the trade offs.

Hi, I can’t speak for the van without 3 zone. Ours has it and with kids in the back it’s good. It seems oversized really, it gets cool or hot very quickly with little fuss. We decided that was a deal breaker for us but others on here will say different.

Bike rack still available. If you search for it on here there’s loads of threads on the pros and cons if the new style rack and the old style both of which are now sold for the T6. There’s also quite a few come up for sale on here if you watch. EBay is the cheapest I could find. If you wait and watch they’re often as little as £460 ish new.

Tow bar - I’m having one fitted next month. PF Jones were the best price I could find. Detachable Westfalia with dedicated wiring £623 fitted on the driveway.

I’ve ordered an Atera Strada rack to go with it. Fingers crossed that allows the tailgate to open with bikes on. It should do.

Good luck. Not easy finding a high spec beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and car play was an option from new. So depends what option was ticked. It either has it or doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost me talking about tri-zone, i now get it. you're on about
3 zone clima.
Any pics of the extension :)

Is Left Hand Drive something you would consider?
I bought a very high spec LHD Beach because I wanted spec that I couldn’t get here (4M 204ps DSG etc) - more than 50% of my mileage is in Europe anyway - long drives to the alps (in winter) etc.
I’ve always driven LHD anyway so it wasn’t so much of a leap for me.
AutoScout24 / Mobile.de must have a decent selection I’d have thought. Or just a European Cali dealer if you want new. When you’re done with it, sell it here or back into Europe. Just a thought but I know it isn’t for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get VW to upgrade the stereo to support carplay for £250 fitted inc VAT. It's a sd card with software update and plug-in cable to initialise. So a quick job (think parts alone is £232 inc VAT).

Feels a bit steep given there are no actual "parts" but that includes the apple/android licences etc.

Oh and I guess you get to keep the plastic case the SD card gets shipped in. :oops:

If you can't get 3 zone climate how about a 12v fan fastened to the headrest. Plug in by the sliding door or behind the front passenger :thumb

I would wait for one with 3 zone climate as you can't have this fitted retrospectively. (and also have the parking heater if you can for added comfort).

Our (2012) has VW DAB unit with an apple cable in the glove box that charges & allows you to skip tracks using the buttons on the steering wheel. If you need the phone out of the glovebox you can play music over stereos bluetooth; Otherwise you can always play music from your phone using bluetooth / aux cable (if fitted). The Waze App on an iphone works well for satnav and can be used in conjunction with Spotify, so that the music cuts on the van radio when it gives an announcement.

Tailgate Bike racks can be ordered from VW and 2nd hand ones come up quite frequently, so its easy to carry bikes without having a towbar (+ electrics) fitted. There are pros & cons for both options.

Back