Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

help with new bellows.

Mollen

Mollen

Hi,
:help
I am in the process of getting the canvas replaced by my local dealer and they rang to say they cant close the roof. I drove down to see why not and the replacement canvas has 2 extra plastic strips sewn in to the canvas just like the ones by the scissors only longer.But the problem is they are exactly where the clasps are to close the roof and the material just cant be moved out of the way. The modification is a great idea as you get double the amount of strips to help close the bellows inwards but they are in the way of the clips to lock the roof. At the moment i dont have any photos but has anyone else seen the new bellows? According to the dealer the old bellows cant be ordered anymore.

Many thanks.

Is this on a Beach?

How many strips are there? My 2010 Cali has two towards the back, two towards the front and one right at the front.

Where abouts are the new ones?

Hi,

Yes its on a beach and there are 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side plus one at the front. Im guessing the bellows for the beach and the SE are not the same and my dealer has ordered a bellows for an SE.
If i think back now,the longer stirps where right in the middle of the window, now they are on either side of the windows.
Whatever the problem it looks like im going to have to wait to get back my beach :(

Sadly, that sounds right!

Depending what the dealer intends to do with the now used Cali SE bellows, you could remove the strips at the front in order to allow you to use it?

Yeah thanks for that,
Ill get on the phone to him, made me think as well that he could always put my old bellows back on :)

:thanks

The belows are definatley different (Beach vs Cali) the Beach's manual roof goes up higher at the rear vs the powered Cali roof. We have to make two different Cali-Toppers for the diferent roofs - hope this helps :thumb

Beach only has side windows, no front window so should be easy to see if they have the right one.

I am going to check with my dealer as they have a new roof and bellows to fit this week, just to make sure they have they have the right one before I take it in.

Andy

comfortz said:
The belows are definatley different (Beach vs Cali) the Beach's manual roof goes up higher at the rear vs the powered Cali roof. We have to make two different Cali-Toppers for the diferent roofs - hope this helps :thumb

Thanks,

Thats what they have done they have put on a california SE roof!
I have spoke to them but they are not doing anything until they get a reply from head office. I guess putting my old one back on has to be the best bet for now.

The pre-facelift and early facelift Cali SE also only had two windows...

Hi all,

Just an update.

We have just received our beach from the dealers...7 weeks I believe :(.
The bellows were wrongly packaged in Germany so the ones my dealer received were for a SE even though the part number said Beach!
I got a nice inside and outside valet at least.
As a bonus I had ordered VW alloy wheels and winter tyres and stated to the dealer that I had uprated brakes so only 17" will fit. He said this is not the case as he had checked my chassis number so I ordered 16".
When they came to fit them they wouldn't fit so I got 17" for the price of 16"
All swell that ends well!

//Mart.

Good news at last :clap . I suppose the one redeeming thing is that it is winter time and you haven't lost a lot of Cali camping time. It must be difficult when the right part is ordered and the wrong one one is sent by the factory. :crazy

I have just had a new roof and bellows on my Beach and as an added bonus Citygate fitted a 12v socket in the dash and the 'battery storage compartment lid / bulkhead'. They didn't tell me about the latter - just notice it when I checked the windscreen fluid!

Andy

My dealer told me today that vw claim I must have not opened windows, has anyone else had this conversation? And what was outcome how can you prove you did!?!

What has the dealer said to you exactly with regards to this and what are they asking you to now do?

Thanks

They checked Cali photos were sent to vw. Vw wrote back saying windows not open caused it. I've told dealer that is simply not the case. Dealer is now putting it to vow customer services and I'm awaiting answer

caliowner said:
They checked Cali photos were sent to vw. Vw wrote back saying windows not open caused it. I've told dealer that is simply not the case. Dealer is now putting it to vow customer services and I'm awaiting answer

There is a problem with the Beach canvas which has escaped the forum so far.

To avoid pitting - it needs a final tuck in before you close the roof - otherwise it sits wrong in the inside roof channels.

James

Mart,

Interested - what are your upgraded brakes? does yours have the 180 front disks / calipers, or is this aftermarket? When the time comes to renew I would like just a bit more stopping power....

Steve.

SteveM said:
Mart,

Interested - what are your upgraded brakes? does yours have the 180 front disks / calipers, or is this aftermarket? When the time comes to renew I would like just a bit more stopping power....

Steve.
What has this to do with bellows?

Mentioned in this thread ..... just following up on the comment.

Steve.

caliowner said:

So before the work was carried out, did the dealer say it was covered by warranty or did they say that there would be a chance you could be liable for the costs?

Thanks

What the dealer is saying is lets see what vow come back with, I'll keep you all posted