Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12V aux socket powered by which battery

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've been testing my May 2015 SE 12v sockets by testing a 12v fan in each socket one by one and monitoring the Amp pull on the control unit.

It turns out to my surprise the 12v socket on the end of the kitchen unit is powered by the Starter Battery and not the leisure battery and the socket on top of the dash board is run off the leisure battery.

The pull out cup holder in the dash socket is powered off the starter battery as I expected.

Finally the 12v sockets in the boot compartment and the cup holder next to the rear seat are both off the leisure battery.

Sadly there is no 12v socket in the roof like my Beach.

Reading the posts on this forum always had me believe the dash sockets run off the starter battery and all the rear ones run off the leisure battery. Unless they have changed 2015 vans or mine is wired up wrong at least I know!

Strange indeed...

Very strange!:confused:

I have power at dash and next to rear bench/sliding door but no at dash cup holder :( Help pleeeese
2014 Cali

After 2 nights at COTF, being parked for 46 hours fridge on, a couple of hours of lights and a couple of hours of radio I took these readings.

Central Control Unit 12,3 volts, 80%
Dash top 12,3v
Cup holder 12,5v <~~~~~~
Sink unit 12,3v
Sliding door 12,3v
Boot compartment 12,3v
Didn't have my multi-meter with me to check the under bonnet battery only my cigarette socket plug in meter but those figures seem to indicate that only my cup holder power socket runs off the under bonnet battery.

I've been testing my May 2015 SE 12v sockets by testing a 12v fan in each socket one by one and monitoring the Amp pull on the control unit.

It turns out to my surprise the 12v socket on the end of the kitchen unit is powered by the Starter Battery and not the leisure battery and the socket on top of the dash board is run off the leisure battery.

The pull out cup holder in the dash socket is powered off the starter battery as I expected.

Finally the 12v sockets in the boot compartment and the cup holder next to the rear seat are both off the leisure battery.

Sadly there is no 12v socket in the roof like my Beach.

Reading the posts on this forum always had me believe the dash sockets run off the starter battery and all the rear ones run off the leisure battery. Unless they have changed 2015 vans or mine is wired up wrong at least I know!
I have a March 2015 SE and am experiencing the same situation ... and just realised. Any others out there or is this a VW mistake ?

Guys, at purchase I was informed all 12v sockets behind the cab run off the leisure battery. My testing has shown this is not true. The 12v socket at the end of the kitchen unit runs from the vehicle battery. Anyone else found this ?

Cheers.

The wiring on the Cali tends to vary slightly year to year, from fuse layouts to sources of power.

I asked Breeze in Poole a while back which batteries supplied my sockets. Following addressing the VWUK computing system I was told by the technician that all of the sockets on my 2010 van are supplied by the leisure batteries and are permanently live. This was confirmed by checking the blue 15amp fuses under the passenger seat and pulling out the relevant ones.

For many, the sockets in the habitation area are powered by the leisure batteries, with the dashboard drawer one from the ignition and the dashboard top one also from the leisure batteries. I have also heard that the kitchen socket can be supplied from the engine battery. This cannot be assumed to be the same for all vans though.

Alan

I have a March 2015 SE and am experiencing the same situation ... and just realised. Any others out there or is this a VW mistake ?
No, it is not a mistake. There seems to be no hard and fast rule regarding these sockets from year to year. All of the sockets on my 2010 are powered from the leisure batteries including the one in the cup drawer.

Alan

It has been mentioned before. All mine, including Dash top socket run from the Leisure Batteries. Only the 12v socket in the Dash Cupholder draw is powered from the Engine battery.

It has been mentioned before. All mine, including Dash top socket run from the Leisure Batteries. Only the 12v socket in the Dash Cupholder draw is powered from the Engine battery.

Same on a Beach (2012 )

Thank you for such prompt replies guys ... a guess variety is the spice and all that !

I have power at dash and next to rear bench/sliding door but no at dash cup holder :( Help pleeeese
2014 Cali
Ok? What help do you need from us for that?

Or do you mean the fuse is blown for the one on the dashboard?

Back