trip advise

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are looking for advise re our early summer break in the Cali.
Outline plan leave home (Southampton) ----- stopover north Carlisle. then onto Fort William follow Loch Ness north to Wick then into potter mode to John of Groats, across to top of Scotland following coast then down west coast to Skye after stop over there head back South

Recomendations for stop overs both sites and wild camping, place to see little harbours good beaches and view points :thanks

I did almost exactly this on a motorbike a few years back. I can't really advise on places to stay as I barely stopped, the roads and views were great and I just wanted to keep going.

If you've not been to JOG, one word of warning, it is a bit of a dissapointment - well, it was to me anyway.

Starting from Banbury on the motorbike, we always used to aim for Moffat as a stop over point on the way. Nice little town.

I would aim to spend more time on the West coast than the east.

Concur not expecting a great deal from JOG just a stop off to pop over Scapa Flow :thanks

I'd recommend turning left some where South and heading west into the islands or near to islands - you could hook across and go into Applecross, plocton then up to Ullapool and into assynt as that is all stunning whereas JoG is meh.

Last time we were in Scotland, we got the ferry from Ullapool and drove south through the outer Hebrides. I would do that again like a shot!

I'd agree that if you want beaches and views then you should spend your time pottering in the North West. Some good sites to consider are Sango Sands (Durness), Clachtoll (Lochinver), Shore (Achmelvich), Port a Baigh (Achiltibuie) and Glenbrittle (Skye). There are lots of options though, and more here http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/08/04 ... campsites/.

As for wild camping, there are again lots of options ...as long as you can find spots that haven't been nabbed first by large white motorhomes ;) .

Don't miss the walk to Sandwood Bay (from just north of Kinlochbervie), or climbing Stac Pollaidh or another of the Assynt hills.

Sounds a great trip !

thanks Ewan :cool

Top of Glen Etive there is a cracking wild camp spot

0T7A5864small_zpsd6c78b82.jpg

Turn off left at the top of Glen Coe and follow the little road for about eight miles to the end.

Attachments

• 0T7A5864small_zpsd6c78b82.jpg
    0T7A5864small_zpsd6c78b82.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1
^ you can also recreate the Bond photo from Skyfall :D

HY09UMU said:
Concur not expecting a great deal from JOG just a stop off to pop over Scapa Flow :thanks

If you are popping to the Orkney Islands, then there are a couple of stone circles worth a visit (Brodgar and Stennes) as well as Skara Brae (slightly suspect archaeology in some places!). Also, the Italian Chapel and The Kitchener Monument (although I prefer to think of it as the Hampshire memorial).

I always liked a pint of Scapa in the Ferry Inn in Stromness too :D

As others have said, anywhere on the west coast. Applecross is lovely, on Skye I'd recommend a walk over the the old man of Storr, and a visit to the Fairy Pools.

More info on our blog: http://bettybus.wordpress.com/category/scotland/

dan

Thanks Dan scaned your blog will have a in depth read later recognised the bridge over the Atlantic from our trip to around Fort William 2010 prior to the Cali staying in a cottage limited having to return to base each day :thumb

I think the other must see on Orkney is Mae's Howe - an ancient burial mound you can actually enter

If you are popping to the Orkney Islands, then there are a couple of stone circles worth a visit (Brodgar and Stennes) as well as Skara Brae (slightly suspect archaeology in some places!). Also, the Italian Chapel and The Kitchener Monument (although I prefer to think of it as the Hampshire memorial).
-----
We are looking to go to Mainland Orkney & Fair Island ... might I ask what you would suggest? Anything that I should be aware of? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!