Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Summer tour planning

Footy69

Footy69

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just starting to tentatively book a few sites for our first tour of west coast of scotland (hopefully this summer). First stop Oban, then Fort William, Arisaig and then hopping over to Skye from Mallaig. Any good spots for camping either sites or wild camping? I think we should perhaps book a site as I think it could be quite busy if things are opened up again. Considering Harris too and hoping we can just pop the roof and not bother about site booking. Any advice please?

We spent a week on Skye at Easter 7 years ago, and every parking area on the roads had 1 or 2 campers parked up every day, can't imagine how busy it will be this year!!

We spent a week on Skye at Easter 7 years ago, and every parking area on the roads had 1 or 2 campers parked up every day, can't imagine how busy it will be this year!!
I’m thinking it will be very busy so best book a site quickly ‍♀️ Did you wild camp every night ?

Just starting to tentatively book a few sites for our first tour of west coast of scotland (hopefully this summer). First stop Oban, then Fort William, Arisaig and then hopping over to Skye from Mallaig. Any good spots for camping either sites or wild camping? I think we should perhaps book a site as I think it could be quite busy if things are opened up again. Considering Harris too and hoping we can just pop the roof and not bother about site booking. Any advice please?
No campsite advice but my husband's family is from that area and we never visit from June onwards because of the midges !

Isle of Skye ...Glen Brittle campsite defo worth a visit , we did Scotland in a hired van last September , didn't have the courage to 'wild camp' but endless possibilities we spotted along the way particularly on Skye..Enjoy

Think this year will definitely be busier than ever so I’d look at campsites only & pre book for your entire holiday. Slagachan campsite on isle of sky is good location for fairy pools & not too far a drive from the likes of Portree. If you’re going via Oban I’d suggest a route via south uist, taking ferry back from tarbert to Uig & finishing off in fort william. Balranald campsite on north uist is lovely & is located next to a lovely cove, great for a day or two on the beach weather permitting.

We have a trip planned for June (restrictions permitting) through several countries to Croatia. Due to the lockdown haven’t slept in our van yet so I think a night on the driveway will be called for our van is a Caravelle, excellent luxury to drive the eating/cooking will be out of the tailgate on a slide out. Once in Croatia we have a hotel for 9 nights. So bit of everything, road trip, camping, all inclusive luxury then return leg. Possibly chat route to take in more countries? All in the pipeline but depends on Covid!

No campsite advice but my husband's family is from that area and we never visit from June onwards because of the midges !
Ohh we are well accustomed to the Scottish midges living in the middle of a forest park on the south coast so we never let that put us off despite their deadly bite.

Ohh we are well accustomed to the Scottish midges living in the middle of a forest park on the south coast so we never let that put us off despite their deadly bite.
You are brave!

Stayed at the Oban Caravan and Camping Park in 2019. It is a couple of miles south of Oban itself. Facilities were ok though it slopes in places and needed levelling blocks.

Was able to get the once a day bus from the site to the ferry terminal and do a foot passenger day trip to Mull

Was very surprised by the colour of the water. It is brown, perfectly drinkable but brown. This is the norm for that area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First weekend of June in fort William was meant to be Eurolambretta jamboree, 1000 scooterist descending on the town. Due to the current zombie lockdown it’s been canceled so anyone who goes that way will not have the worry of 2 stroke poisoning.