Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two vs three seat bench

• Thread starter impossibledreamer
  • Start date
I went for the two seater but with the third removable seat. Most of the time I don’t need the third seat so the space and storage of the two seater is great. When I do have to use the spare seat it’s heavy but doable.

If it's flexibility you're after then THE most flexible California option is a seven seat Beach. It's like a top of the range Swiss Army knife. The other versions are less adaptable and therefore less flexible.

Having said that, a seven seat Beach won't be everyone's choice.

Two seater for the win! Just the fact you can sit in the enormous downstairs bed without popping the roof is a winner, add to that the fact you can use the pop out kitchen when in bed mode, the central under seat big drawer and all the side boxes for storage. But the best part for me is that you can take surfboards,skis or snowboards on the side and still have 4 adults seating in comfort without the need to have roof racks and taking efficiency away from a solar panel

Another thing I like about the 2-seat beach is sitting on the turned-round driver's seat (mine's a left hand drive) with my feet up on the side bench. Just a super nice comfy place to sit.

I’ve read a lot about the advantages/disadvantages of the two-seater vs three-seater bench in the Beach, but we are still having a difficult time deciding.

Our main considerations:

-We don’t currently have kids, but are planning for up to two.
-It will be our only car, but we don’t need a car for daily commuting. We either work from home or live a short bike ride from work.
-We live in a city, so most of our errands are within walking distance.
-We would likely only use the car for weekend day trips, the random picking up/dropping off of large items, and of course camping.

It seems like a given that we’d take the 3 seater, since it would be our only car and we live in a city. Almost every California that we see around here is a 3-seater and I know it’s probably more practical. However:

-I’m not keen on how much space the top foam pad takes in the backseat.
-I keep thinking about how convenient the side storage would be on the 2 seater.

I’m just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation, as in the Beach is you only vehicle, but you don’t use it for daily driving. Which bench did you go for and do you have any regrets with your choice?
I bought a 3 seater Beach and for us its perfect - we live in town and dont need to get it out daily although its my only car - we have adapted a drawer system that i bolt in to turn it into a camper van with larder fridge worktop / stove and storage which fits between the bench seat and the passenger seat for our travels -this winter ive been using the van for carrying large heavy items so the camping kit is stored in the garage.

We only really sleep upstairs - but when we do sleep downstairs we drag the mattress from upstairs and lay it across the seats - we never have bothered with the bulky extra mattress for downstairs.

I have a 6th seat and on occasion turn it into a 6 seater but normally 5 seats are right for us.

My only thought on the two seater is that Maxxcamp (and others) do a great slide in / out system that truly transforms the inside into a camper - big money approx £k - plus you get better underseat storage plus a storage box - plus as you know the bed is more comfortable and is lower - so greater headroom when sat in bed. However this means that the multiflex board in the boot is also lower and too tight to fit a Waeco / Dometic fridge.

If i was to get another one id go 3 seater

So if its Primarily to go camping? Then maybe think on the SE, Ocean which of course carries storage and cooking facilities. Two months after our first was born, 8 months living in this way. All round Europe, mountains, lakes and of course hikes, trout and vino. Then when the second arrived(not long after our return) it was over to the Beech. Back to another SE for a while and now we are upto speed, schooling has grounded us and we are back onto our third Beech and its a keeper. Three seats suit us, the kids have space, its a hugely flexible multi purpose mostly all terrain vehicle. It is not what the vehicle can do today, but what you can do with the vehicle tomorrow:) Long live the Cali..

I’m in Australia and wanting to bring a two seat bench down under. We don’t have the option to have them at the moment. Not sure of the measurements of the seat L x W x D both in sit position and in bed position. Really need to know this before I commit to the HUGE expense of bringing one here. Is there anyone prepared to measure for me. Thanks heaps in advance…..

I’m in Australia and wanting to bring a two seat bench down under. We don’t have the option to have them at the moment. Not sure of the measurements of the seat L x W x D both in sit position and in bed position. Really need to know this before I commit to the HUGE expense of bringing one here. Is there anyone prepared to measure for me. Thanks heaps in advance…..
Are you able to view / measure an Ocean? They use the same seat in the 2 seat beach.

IMG_2172.jpeg

It all comes down to flexibility.

If you are confident that your future family plans will involve just two children then either will do a good job. But beware, experience has taught me that all it takes is a little bit of hanky panky and you'll be needing a three seat bench.
Are you THAT Boris? If so a 16 seat minibus is the only practical option

Some new ideas from Vangear:

Compact pod unit with fridge (extra):

Slide out rear kitchen (at a decent price):

I’ve read a lot about the advantages/disadvantages of the two-seater vs three-seater bench in the Beach, but we are still having a difficult time deciding.

Our main considerations:

-We don’t currently have kids, but are planning for up to two.
-It will be our only car, but we don’t need a car for daily commuting. We either work from home or live a short bike ride from work.
-We live in a city, so most of our errands are within walking distance.
-We would likely only use the car for weekend day trips, the random picking up/dropping off of large items, and of course camping.

It seems like a given that we’d take the 3 seater, since it would be our only car and we live in a city. Almost every California that we see around here is a 3-seater and I know it’s probably more practical. However:

-I’m not keen on how much space the top foam pad takes in the backseat.
-I keep thinking about how convenient the side storage would be on the 2 seater.

I’m just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation, as in the Beach is you only vehicle, but you don’t use it for daily driving. Which bench did you go for and do you have any regrets with your choice?
The two seat makes a comfier bed (it’s straight backrest being the reason) but less comfy as a seat, as it isn’t sculpted like the three seat backrests. I expect the two seat bench is fine for kids and baby seats. The extra storage with the two seat is huge and really handy. The two seat makes a slightly lower bed so if you’re tall you would benefit when sitting at the end. There was a good video on YouTube which informed me when I got mine. I went for the two seater and had no complaints. I’ll try to find the video and post a link on here.

The two seat makes a comfier bed (it’s straight backrest being the reason) but less comfy as a seat, as it isn’t sculpted like the three seat backrests. I expect the two seat bench is fine for kids and baby seats. The extra storage with the two seat is huge and really handy. The two seat makes a slightly lower bed so if you’re tall you would benefit when sitting at the end. There was a good video on YouTube which informed me when I got mine. I went for the two seater and had no complaints. I’ll try to find the video and post a link on here.
We went for the two seater and I'm feeling pretty confident about our decision after renting a three seater a couple of weeks ago. We just found it really awkward to put together compared to the two-seater. But I think the extra storage is the main selling point for me. I love the Ocean, but the kitchen can take up so much room and I toss and turn at night so it's nice to have the storage and the big bed.

I'm about to try the two seater beach as a six seater. (By removing one of the storage units, and putting in tow extra seats). I'll report back here how it works out.

In relation to the confort of the two seater double seat, I've never heard anyone complain, children or adults, on short or very long journeys. I have a cushion or two back there and it seems to be very popular.

To the OP.
I'm sure you'll be happy with either version. Anyway, it's rare for a new owner to admit that they made the wrong choice.

However, your first consideration was: " We don’t currently have kids, but are planning for up to two". For no other reason than this, I would strongly advise you NOT to go for the two seater variant for the following reasons:

1. When your two children are babies it is very practical to have somewhere for an adult to sit between them. Supervising bottle feeds, retrieving toys, comforting and just being there can be very useful on long journeys.

2. As they grow into toddlers some can become very willful. Not all children are happy being strapped into child seats and some become expert escapologists. Believe me I know! Stopping every two miles to put the little monkey back in it's seat can become quite tedious. So again, that third seat can be very useful for seating a responsible adult to ensure that safety is maintained and that you aren't breaking the law.

3. If your babies turn into reasonable, calm natured, even tempered, mature young pre schoolers then of course, having two seats right next to each other won't be a problem. If not then the fur and feathers will often end up flying. Any available toys frequently being used to to give each other a damn good lamping. Having an empty seat separating the little darlings can be a godsend.

4. Once they go to school they will develop friendships and there will be sleepovers, outings, sports trips from school etc to cater for. Having that extra seat on the bench will prove very useful.

5. As they reach teenagers their powers of communication naturally receed and they will very often not want to sit right next to their sibling, preferring instead to sulk in earphoned privacy. Parking them further apart won't stop the occasional altercation but it does lead to a quieter life.

As a father of four and a grandfather of eight, I have amassed considerable experience in this department. Nowdays we practice "the barrier method"..... by always ensuring that NannyNooNoo sits between our two local granddaughters, 9 and 11. Their elder brother 13, has to be sat in the front for two reasons: firstly he and the girls won't sit side by side for long without a scrap. Secondly, he has to anoy me by twiddling every knob and switch he can reach.

Now of course bringing up children is a delight but it isn't always easy. I have highlighted just some of the problems that any parent or grandparent may experience when traveling with their brood. If your two children never behave in the manner described above then they will probably be the first. In which case the two seat version will be just fine. However, you could make life easier and more flexible with the three seat version. Concentrating on driving whilst the kids are doing their worst in the back can be very difficult so anything that helps to aliviate strife can be a safety asset. We are now on our second seven seat Beach and have found it perfect for family life. In terms of seating, it has the flexibility to expand or contract to suit any occasion.

The other accessory that I would thoroughly recommend for use with children is that speaker option where the rear passengers can hear the driver speak over the radio speakers, if the infotainment system is turned on. Fortunately, it doesn't work in reverse as there are no microphones in the rear, or at least there aren't on the T6.

Last edited:
We went for the two seater and I'm feeling pretty confident about our decision after renting a three seater a couple of weeks ago. We just found it really awkward to put together compared to the two-seater. But I think the extra storage is the main selling point for me. I love the Ocean, but the kitchen can take up so much room and I toss and turn at night so it's nice to have the storage and the big bed.
My beach was great, I sold it and missed it straight away. I think you made a good choice with the two seater beach. Enjoy

Back