Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Type of Oil

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Can anyone help me with the type of engine oil I should be using for topping up, I'm on the longlife service so I believe I need something specific?

I could go to the main dealer but wondered if there was an approved alternative?

What does everyone else use? I use Mobil 1 0-40 in my Caterham, would that be OK?

I have a 2012 180 Cali

Thanks

Hi, if you put your reg number into euro car parts it will show you what types you can use

Just pop along to your local dealer they can supply you a litre of oil for topping up. Then you will know it's right. Quantum long life 111 is what they gave me

Think you need to check what type went in the last oilchange....
Look on the bill or ask the one who did it.
Presuming there is longlife in becose the manuals say so is no garanty they used it ...

I was told not sure how much truth is in it but VW use long life oil even on yearly services. They did on mine

What a mess, 2 people at the dealer gave me different brands (Castrol and Shell), so I've gone with the Quantum Longlife III which from what I can see is manufactured by Castrol for VW. Thanks for your help everyone.

Brand is largely irrelevant. You need to note the specification. API spec. Etc.

On the back of any oil you'll find the spec. SG, SJ, SM etc.
Minimum SG from memory.
Just match this to whatever VW use.

Last edited:
Brand is definitely irrelevant.

I have a 2012 180 on long life and the oil given to me by the dealer is branded as "Castrol Edge Professional III 5W-30". However on the label it states it is for VW 504 00/507 00.

So this ties in exactly with what Pineweasel is saying.

Hope this helps.

I always feel the key to a good oil change is when you can't notice the difference. I've just had long life service. Blimey, what a difference

Thanks all. I'd dug out the 507 bit from the manual, but was just wondering what everyone else used. Sure my Quantum Longlife III will do the job and its only for a top up, service not due until August.

Back