Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre blow out - M6

Jay586

Jay586

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
My rear tyre blew in the 50mph smart motorway roadworks just before Jct 22. No dramas, just a very quick warning message that went to a static orange warning light. Managed to get over the lanes and up the slip road, seeking refuge in yet more roadworks behind cones.

VW Assist/AA pretty quick to come tho the the technician was given a very vague location for me. What3 words worked tho!

Tyre was rusted on, so as part of the fix, I'll get all 4 looked at, not surprising as I live at the seaside but he said I'd never have been able to change it myself.

No real reason for this post, other than to say the AA came promptly and the van didn't twitch on 3 wheels and was pretty easy to get off the motorway, albeit making a hell of a noise!

I've just removed all four wheels from my July 23 California and it was an absolute pig. Only 10k on the clock but took half an hour a wheel to dislodge from the hub.

Van was on a serious trolley jack. At the side of the road on the supplied jack it would not have been possible.

Looks like an annual task...

My local garage take the wheels off at annual service for me (as well as spare) just to ensure I’ll be able to do it in an emergency (although I’d probably contact VW Assist).

After having to sort out a puncture a while back on our 2 month old Cali, I also ran into the rusted on wheel issue!!!

Fortunately I had access to a commercial trolley jack where the tyre went flat whilst parked up.
It was still a challenge to remove the spare from the cradle. And the supplied wheel brace isn't the best, especially when used to undo the locking wheel bolts.

I concluded that it would be a nightmare to sort out at the side of the road in the pouring rain.

Steps taken :

Removed all four wheels a couple of weeks ago and applied a light coating of copper slip grease around each central hub spigot and the flat mating surfaces (after cleaning the spigot and mating surface on the alloy with a non scratch kitchen pan scrubber). Taking care to keep well away from the threads in the hubs where the wheel bolts screw in.

Quickest way I found to free off the wheels was to jack up the vehicle so the wheel in question was just off the ground with the bolts slackened well off, place a foot long length of 4"x4" fence post against the tyre and carefully hit the block hard with a sledge hammer. Even the wheel that had the earlier puncture was stuck on tight.

Purchased a cheap waterproof hi viz boiler suit off eBay and stowed it in the van. It should keep me dry and my clothes clean when changing a puncture.

Purchased a reasonably priced torque wrench and 19mm deep plastic coated impact socket to carry in the vehicle which will make removing the wheel bolts easier and enable me to torque them up correctly after changing a wheel.

Replaced the locking wheel bolts with standard ones. The adaptor for the locking wheel nuts doesn't inspire me with confidence and I think most criminals who want to steal the alloys will have a set of those security wheel bolt removal kits anyway.

Yes, I could call out VW Assist to change the wheel, but I'd prefer to be self sufficient, particularly if we are well off the beaten track and out of range of a mobile signal.

My van is 22 plate with 11k.

At least I'd left the spare on and it was going ok. Tech didn't really want to check the tyre pressure (looks ok to me!) but was encouraged to do so and it did need more air. :)

My rear tyre blew in the 50mph smart motorway roadworks just before Jct 22. No dramas, just a very quick warning message that went to a static orange warning light. Managed to get over the lanes and up the slip road, seeking refuge in yet more roadworks behind cones.

VW Assist/AA pretty quick to come tho the the technician was given a very vague location for me. What3 words worked tho!

Tyre was rusted on, so as part of the fix, I'll get all 4 looked at, not surprising as I live at the seaside but he said I'd never have been able to change it myself.

No real reason for this post, other than to say the AA came promptly and the van didn't twitch on 3 wheels and was pretty easy to get off the motorway, albeit making a hell of a noise!

We live on the coast - thanks for the heads up.

Tech hit it with a mallet.

It needs a heavy duty jack to enable that, would not be safe wth the small jack supplied with the van.

It is regularly serviced at VW, so they onmy visually inspect wheels, I think.

It is regularly serviced at VW, so they onmy visually inspect wheels, I think.
That’s been my experience too, both at VW and Volvo - rarely take the wheels off unless they really have to. Both have readily agreed to when asked though.

I use a set of steel wheels during the winter, with proper winter tyres.

And a set of nice alloys for the summer months.

I switch them over every 6 months.

The first time I came to remove the original set of wheels,, they were stuck fast and it took quite a bit of effort to get them off the van.

Since then I have always used a smear of copper grease on the mating surfaces, and never had any issues at all.

Even if the wheel does not fall off when the bolts are removed, it only takes a light kick to the tyre to make it loose.

Why did/does VW not do this automatically in the factory?

I do all the above.
Copper slip where needed (not near threads)
Ditch the locking bolts.
Carry 750mm wrecking bar.
19mm deep impact socket.
Haven’t had the van a year but will annually remove the wheels, clean and lube, also remove the spare, clean and lube the bolts on the spare safe.

It seems to be a problem mainly with some alloy wheels and probably more Transporters, which the California is, are commercial variants and have steel wheels so this problem is not mainstream.
Probably have more problems, like wheel nuts coming undone, if all hubs were factory treated as I doubt it would be applied so carefully.

Often discussed on this forum over the years. Basically, your alloy wheels almost certainly WILL be almost impossible to remove at the roadside, UNLESS you either remove them all regularly or copper grease the mating surfaces.

It's not a matter of where you live, re the sea air etc.

Incidentally much digital ink gets spilled re the wisdom/safety of putting copperslip on wheels. You'll probably not want to get it on the stud threads (although it's an anti-seize grease, not a lubricant and some old-skool mechanics still use it on studs) but smearing it onto the mating surfaces really is no problem.

Tech hit it with a mallet.

It needs a heavy duty jack to enable that, would not be safe wth the small jack supplied with the van.
I had to do it at the side of the road on the side arm jack, it is possible if you rotate the wheel continuously while hitting the rear of the tire with a hammer reasonably hard but not hard enough to shake the van (my camping peg mallet in that case). It will slowly work loose then, but took a long time. I laid next to the van so only my arm was underneath!

Also had a blow out on M6, AA useless had to be recovered by Highway agencies. The tyre was shredded so needed new tyre from mobile fitter. Absolute nightmare late at night.
Is it possible to add a space saver tyre underneath the Ocean? If so how?

Also had a blow out on M6, AA useless had to be recovered by Highway agencies. The tyre was shredded so needed new tyre from mobile fitter. Absolute nightmare late at night.
Is it possible to add a space saver tyre underneath the Ocean? If so how?
Yes.
Buy spare wheel carrier from VW or eBay for a Transporter , I presume T6/6.1, you don't mention in your Avatar which vehicle you have.
You then need a 17" steel Transporter wheel fitted with a 17" tyre as detailed on the tyre sticker on the Drivers door B pillar. This will have the same overall diameter and circumference as your existing wheel/tyre, AS long as they are standard VW wheel/tyres.
This spare can then be used as a spare but limited miles/distance as a space saver.

Yes.
Buy spare wheel carrier from VW or eBay for a Transporter , I presume T6/6.1, you don't mention in your Avatar which vehicle you have.
You then need a 17" steel Transporter wheel fitted with a 17" tyre as detailed on the tyre sticker on the Drivers door B pillar. This will have the same overall diameter and circumference as your existing wheel/tyre, AS long as they are standard VW wheel/tyres.
This spare can then be used as a spare but limited miles/distance as a space saver.
Thanks for reply
My van is a 2018 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Ocean Edition 204 5dr DSG - so not sure whether T6 or T6.1
Would the spare make much/ any difference to the clearance from the ground?
will this be a difficult job- I need to get someone/ garage to do it for me. (Single, silver traveller)

Thanks for reply
My van is a 2018 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Ocean Edition 204 5dr DSG - so not sure whether T6 or T6.1
Would the spare make much/ any difference to the clearance from the ground?
will this be a difficult job- I need to get someone/ garage to do it for me. (Single, silver traveller)
Not a difficult job. VW will charge a lot more than an Independent.
I have a T5.1 4Motion with spare wheel.
No problem with ground clearance.

I'm going to stand by my comment about sea air, the disc brake surfaces rust up almost immediately on standing. That and the stuck handbrake due to the rain, tho that's more the Caddy and the Up! :)

I'm going to stand by my comment about sea air, the disc brake surfaces rust up almost immediately on standing. That and the stuck handbrake due to the rain, tho that's more the Caddy and the Up! :)
I'm sure you're right that the salt air accelerates the process. But I don't believe the 'stuck-on-wheels' issue only affects seaside Calis. As a sample of one, I had big problems getting a wheel off my Cali when it was only about two years old, and we live in Buckinghamshire.

Not a difficult job. VW will charge a lot more than an Independent.
I have a T5.1 4Motion with spare wheel.
No problem with ground clearance.
Thanks for your help. May get back to you if I need any further help.

Newby Bridge.
Just spoken to a mechanic and he would need to have a look as it may not be possible depending on where water tank if located. Could this be right?

Back