Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Blowout

Grant Foster

Grant Foster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi -

We had our first trip in the new Ocean this weekend - all a great success, thoroughly enjoyed it. it was very mild in the lakes, we didn't even need the parking heaters!

on the way back up the M6, going around 70mph in the middle lane, the van lost all control - it was pretty scary! - I managed to slow down and steer it onto the hard shoulder. thankfully I didn't cause any accidents behind us.

as it transpired that the rear tyre (passenger side) was completely worn off and it was down to the rim. I don't know what caused it, i guess with the suspension of the vehicle I hadn't felt anything as we were driving, and didn't hear anything either. my question is.....in that situation, I would have expected a warning to have come up on the dashboard? for example, with my BMW X3 if the tyre is at low pressure, i get a warning.

Thanks
C

Sounds like you had a catastrophic blowout. i.e. without warning and too fast for the dash indicator to register (notwithstanding that at the time you were wrestling for control, not exactly concentrating on your dash)! Often the cause is some event that happened sometime in the past. Damaged sidewall, had the tyre been badly kurbed (you are in a hire vehicle? - your avatar suggests you are still looking to buy) or even something that had penetrated the side wall while you were on the motorway and as such was just bad luck. Many possibilities. Main thing though is you are all OK.

Sounds like you had a catastrophic blowout. i.e. without warning and too fast for the dash indicator to register (notwithstanding that at the time you were wrestling for control, not exactly concentrating on your dash)! Often the cause is some event that happened sometime in the past. Damaged sidewall, had the tyre been badly kurbed (you are in a hire vehicle? - your avatar suggests you are still looking to buy) or even something that had penetrated the side wall while you were on the motorway and as such was just bad luck. Many possibilities. Main thing though is you are all OK.

thanks for this - I still need to update my avatar. I just bought the van - it is a 17 plane, registered in june but had 5,000 miles (it was used by the VW dealer for rentals). as far as I know, the sidewall had not been damaged - but who knows. just to clarify then....in normal circumstances, a punctured tire would register on the dashboard?

Another very common scenario: a valve starts leaking slowly. The tyre gets softer and softer, and hotter and hotter, until suddenly a blow out.

I have experienced that once while driving a double decker touringcar with trailer and full of passengers to Hamburg... Not nice! Since then I always check our tyres visually before I start: do they all look good, not one a bit softer than the others?

thanks for this - I still need to update my avatar. I just bought the van - it is a 17 plane, registered in june but had 5,000 miles (it was used by the VW dealer for rentals). as far as I know, the sidewall had not been damaged - but who knows. just to clarify then....in normal circumstances, a punctured tire would register on the dashboard?
Yes, a normal puncture, i.e. not catastrophic, should register on your dash. About sidewall damage? Yes may not be obvious but it is very difficult to check the inside wall and as your Cali had been used for rentals I suspect that is where your problem started. Can't be sure of course but......

I've twice had tyres that had no externally vissable damage but the inner side walls were split. Dreaded speed bumps, the type you straddle, or a pothole were believed to be the cause.
Fortunately found before blow out.
worrying bit was that they were invisible during normal walk around checks.

I've twice had tyres that had no externally vissable damage but the inner side walls were split. Dreaded speed bumps, the type you straddle, or a pothole were believed to be the cause.
Fortunately found before blow out.
worrying bit was that they were invisible during normal walk around checks.
I dread the day when I have to change a tyre as a result of a puncture so if I have had a particularly severe speed bump or pothole experience I always make a special check about damage. Worth the small investment in time. All OK to date!!

Yes, a normal puncture, i.e. not catastrophic, should register on your dash. About sidewall damage? Yes may not be obvious but it is very difficult to check the inside wall and as your Cali had been used for rentals I suspect that is where your problem started. Can't be sure of course but......

So when was the display warning introduced? As i don't have it!!

I didn't realise it was not std for some past years. My Cali is a 2017 Ocean and has this feature. It was not an option.

it was ruled that all new cars manufactured since 2014 must feature the pressure-monitoring technology-
a bit after your 2006 van,

That's ok i check tyres every week
I find them a bit over sensitive think the governments think drivers have lost the ability to check such basics,

I find them a bit over sensitive think the governments think drivers have lost the ability to check such basics,

I think that also. You read post about waiting for oil light to come on, or coolant light to come on. before checking.
DOH I had better check these items !!!!!!!!!!

I dread the day when I have to change a tyre as a result of a puncture so if I have had a particularly severe speed bump or pothole experience I always make a special check about damage. Worth the small investment in time. All OK to date!!
Both were on my wife's car, said in a whisper, which has 40 profile tyres.

Both were on my wife's car, said in a whisper, which has 40 profile tyres.
Ah, it adds something to the theory. ;)

Nor on my 2014 California.

See this was mandatory Nov 2014.
On mine. Built July 2014, so MY 2015, but registered 1st December 2014.

On mine - 2013.

@Grant Foster my thoughts are with you, a nerve wracking experience.

There should be a switch on your dash... mine is underneath the RH central vents, that allows you to set the TPM. Once set it will monitor any loss in pressure from that point.

On mine - 2013.

@Grant Foster my thoughts are with you, a nerve wracking experience.

There should be a switch on your dash... mine is underneath the RH central vents, that allows you to set the TPM. Once set it will monitor any loss in pressure from that point.
It varies. On my 2014 the Tyre Pressure Warning is set via the Dashboard Multi Function Display. One of the menu items.

Ours was ordered Jan 14 and it was a £66 option at that time. We have a button on the dash for resetting it.
It's alerted us twice to slow punctures so been worth it.