Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre inflation pumps - what do you use?

ThisIsChristoph

ThisIsChristoph

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
All petrol stations near us either have crap or paying inflation stations - or both (the continent where I grew up had free pumps everywhere) so I am looking at purchasing a pump/compressor. Which (small/compact) type/model would you advise? There’s a lot out there online but I’d be happiest with advice from some discerning fellow Cali users. Thank you!

I guess it depends on your home facilities? I have a compressor and airline in the garage. Cheap enough to buy/setup etc, doesn’t take up too much space. May sound OTT but worth it.

I also have one of these which I leave in the car/van. Very good if a tad decibely

Been using a VIAIR 88 for the past 10 years. Operates on 12v either with direct connection to battery or using a ciggy outlet with the right connector. 120psi so can also use to pump up bike tyres.
pump.jpg

I just use the free one that came with our Cali - we have the 18” wheels so got the inflation kit. Have since added the spare myself, but the kit comes in handy for the pump that is inside it. Noisy and cheap but works perfectly fine.

The Makita is great if you have makita kit and batteries around, expensive if you haven't.

If in doubt I go to Which or Auto Express reviews. I have one of the Ring 12v ones, works ok.

Last edited:
As I already have Ryobi tools/batteries I purchased a bare (no battery include) Ryobi tyre inflator.
Quite a few battery inflators on the marker now which saves having to drag wire about.

As I have air suspension I have looked at taking Air from that source but not got beyond the looking phase as yet. Viair compressor.

I've gone for the Makita 5ah tyre inflator after blowing the cigarette lighter fuse on my Grand California using the supplied tyre inflator.
Incidentally the 20 amp fuse is under the passenger seat and awkward to get to.
VW do not provide a fuse list they simply say ( refer to the dealer)

Lots of fancy but blky compressors suggested here.
I had an Airman "Tour" , which I bought and carried along with my Motorbike. Now it sits on the driver's door of my Cali, as it is very small, light and portable. Since i own it for 12 years, I can say it is durable. Maybe it is not the fastest, fanciest, but small, portable , durable, 12V with a long cable to reach the rear wheels when you plug it in the 12V socket near the shift lever. it has a pretty accurate gauge, and a little pocket with a door to house reduction for inflating balls, etc. It's up to 4 bars, so plenty even if you run 3,7 bars 215/60-17

Any digital one from Halfords, Ring, RAC, AA.

Just go for the one thats on offer.

I have been using this, which works well either from the mains or through 12v.

5bebbda32845eed3e741f125b688ed1f.jpg

Got this cordless one on eBay. Already had batteries for other tools. Cordless is great for the Cali also has an adapter for bike tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62462980407__46148304-33A5-4F8A-876B-0CCB03B5BB1C.jpeg
Only paid £75 in Oct 2020.

VIAR 00093 90P Portable Compressor Kit​

£195 now !

I use the Ryobi 18v battery one. Yep call me a cheapskate for not going Makita.

1687813389010.png

But any of the battery-pack tyre inflators is IMO a good choice, you can whizz round your vehicles (and in my case my car transporter trailer) without having to faff around plugging in and out of 12v sockets.

All petrol stations near us either have crap or paying inflation stations - or both (the continent where I grew up had free pumps everywhere) so I am looking at purchasing a pump/compressor. Which (small/compact) type/model would you advise? There’s a lot out there online but I’d be happiest with advice from some discerning fellow Cali users. Thank you!
I use the portable unit linked below. It’s been working well. The battery is very small, so I carry a 3m usb-to-usb-C cable, which I plug into the unit and the van and then I can charge without interruptions. It’s only good for too ups. I don’t expect to inflate a fully flat tire.

It’s also good for just checking tire pressure. You turn it on, connect to the tire and it tells you the pressure. If you then press the inflate button it will get very loud and start inflating (slowly).

I’m happy with it.

Carsun Air Compressor 12v Air Pump For Car Portable Tyre Inflator Electric Motorcycle Pump Air Compressor For Car Bicycle

I use the portable unit linked below. It’s been working well. The battery is very small, so I carry a 3m usb-to-usb-C cable, which I plug into the unit and the van and then I can charge without interruptions. It’s only good for too ups. I don’t expect to inflate a fully flat tire.

It’s also good for just checking tire pressure. You turn it on, connect to the tire and it tells you the pressure. If you then press the inflate button it will get very loud and start inflating (slowly).

I’m happy with it.

Carsun Air Compressor 12v Air Pump For Car Portable Tyre Inflator Electric Motorcycle Pump Air Compressor For Car Bicycle
Tire=tyre sorry for the auto-incorrect

Back