Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre noise

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have done a wee search and I was surprised to find little mention of tyre noise. My recently acquired T5 California has Bridgestone Duravis tyres fitted all round, I suspect they are original fitments. Incidentally they are on old school 16" alloys. Though they have worn well, the fronts will need replacing soon. In use, I have found they are noisy on some surfaces and, last night acquaplaned on standing water, not a nice experience but fortunately I did have seat covers on........ So I need to replace with quiet tyres with good roadholding, any suggestions?

Tom

We have Michelin 17" Primacy.

Not noticeably noisy, but I have nothing to compare them against.

The fronts lasted 20k miles. The backs are still good.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Interesting, Black Circles rate the Duravis at 75 decibels and the Primacy at 69, the Vredestein is 68 and cheapest of the quality tyres. Any other pointers?

Tyre noise is a difficult subject. All tyres now come with noise ratings with a decibel score based on a standard test. You need to remember its a logarithmic scale, so a the difference between 70db and 60 db is a factor of 10. So small differences in numbers make big differences in heard noise. But do remember this is test data!

Real life tyre noise is more complex and is a function of tyre wear (some tyres get noisier when they are approaching the tread limit), compound, road surface, tyre pressure and tyre wear as well as temperature (tyres are often noisier when they are cold).

Have a look at this website
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

It has reviews of different tyres from different owners of a range of tyres sizes and vehicles. It will give you a good idea of what has worked and in what circumstances!

I believe mine came with Goodyear Vector 4 season tyres. Not noticed any real noise, although some rougher road surfaces do make it sound louder. They also get the odd stone stuck in them which can make some noise for a while until it comes loose.

I've got Vector 4s as well and they are are quiet considering they are M&S.

I've always used Continental 4x4 Contact on the vans...

M&S rated, got me out of a few slippery fields where others got stuck, never had an issue with road noise either.

Tend to go for around £140 for the 18" (235/50)... Just got a pair for the front and they were giving away a hotel night too.

Rgds

Mark

I bought some wheels that had Autogrip tyres fitted and was surprised how quiet they are compared to the Dunlops before, even the Mrs commented. I have been pleasantly surprised by them for what is, I assume, a budget brand. Can't comment on wear rate yet.

Back