Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres

Sammy.

Sammy.

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all. I’m new owner of a lovely Cali ocean.
I have gorgeous low profile tyres on my California.
The previous owner also gave us the original tyres that came with the van.
the low profile tyres look great we’re not doing any Major off road camping. Should we change the tyres back to the better suspension tyres ?does it make a massive difference with the drive quality?
Thoughts please
Sam

image.jpg

the low profile tyres look great we’re not doing any Major off road camping. Should we change the tyres back to the better suspension tyres ?does it make a massive difference with the drive quality?
Thoughts please
Sam

View attachment 64209
Can you provide the specs of the two tyres you mention eg 235/55 R17 so we’re commenting on what you actually have. Those wheels do look good on a white van.

Yes it will make a difference.

I'd say the best bet is for you to do a road test of a standard Cali and see if it suits your style of driving.

Do you mean the previous owner gave you the original wheels(with tyres)?
Suspect that the wheels you have on are bigger than originals.

275/40R20 106Y is this low profile tyre. Not sure what size the other is . Away at the moment. So would need to check another time

Thoughts please
Sam

View attachment 64209
I’ve got those on my car. Great wheels

CEA9D5FF-184C-4F7A-A438-FDC1AB13CA43.jpeg

275/40R20 106Y is this low profile tyre. Not sure what size the other is . Away at the moment. So would need to check another time
So 20” wheels.
VW only mention 17” or 18” on the configurator for vehicles with the larger front disc brakes, although I believe they have very recently started offering a VW 20” as a Dealer or aftermarket fit.
Returning to standard wheel sizes and tyres, as detailed on the sticker on the Drivers side B pillar, just open drivers door to see sticker, will soften the potholes when driving.

You may find the dentist's bills for replacing your fillings make it worth swapping back and selling those.
Does anyone know if those 20s are correctly load rated (alloys not the tyres)?

Airless tyres coming in 2024 from Michelin. Maybe not for a Cali’ though.

9C7D4AFA-601B-46D2-B9CA-0B74BC8BD357.png

I would go for 17” wheels with Mitchlin Crossclimate XL (not SUV version which have a stiffer side walls so less comfy). Will look more appropriate IMO on a camper van and be much more comfortable and quieter. Low profiles look great on a pimped out T6 Sportsliner but a campervan?

I would go for 17” wheels with Mitchlin Crossclimate XL (not SUV version which have a stiffer side walls so less comfy). Will look more appropriate IMO on a camper van and be much more comfortable and quieter. Low profiles look great on a pimped out T6 Sportsliner but a campervan?
I have them and a very noticeable difference from the OEM Continental.
The Michelin Agilis is a great tyre, only negative it collects small stones.

Airless tyres coming in 2024 from Michelin. Maybe not for a Cali’ though.

View attachment 85066
We have similar fitted on our Kayak trolley…goes over anything . But very slow when I’m ‘driving’ with no heavy braking!

SUV version is actually better at absorbing the many ruts and potholes that are now commonplace than the normal 'car' version.
The slightly stiffer sidewall also gives better steering response as it handles the Cali's 3 tonnes better.

I have them and a very noticeable difference from the OEM Continental.
We have the Conti's 235/55/17 at the moment. How are the Michelin's different?
Noise, fuel, wear, grip?
I find the Conti's OK in fuel (150hp, DSG, about 7L/100km), the grip in mud is perfect. (no issues on tarmac as well), but they do make quite a bit of noise.

We have the Conti's 235/55/17 at the moment. How are the Michelin's different?
Noise, fuel, wear, grip?
I find the Conti's OK in fuel (150hp, DSG, about 7L/100km), the grip in mud is perfect. (no issues on tarmac as well), but they do make quite a bit of noise.
Hi there these are fitted to my GC 680. The ride on the Continentals were quite harsh over uneven road ie pot holes the Michelin’s are superior on wet muddy field, and are quieter, however not noticed much difference in economy probably not as economic. The ride was noticeably supple yet planted.

Hi there these are fitted to my GC 680. The ride on the Continentals were quite harsh over uneven road ie pot holes the Michelin’s are superior on wet muddy field, and are quieter, however not noticed much difference in economy probably not as economic. The ride was noticeably supple yet planted.
Tyre information label has the noise level on it. This has recently been given an updated in design/info.
When selecting a tyre look at all 3 categories, Fuel, Wet and Noise.

When I changed from Nokian to Michelin there was a noticeable increase in noise at cruising speeds. All season versions.

Noise rating

The EU tyre ratings also consider the exterior noise a tyre generates while driving. By choosing a tyre with a good noise rating you can lower the impact of your driving on the surrounding environment. The noise level is sorted into class A, B or C. The rolling noise of the tyre is measured in decibels and the exact number is shown in the bottom part of the label. Tyres with a low noise level have between 67 and 71 dB. The highest level shows sound waves in between 72 and 77 dB. An increase of just a few decibels represents a big difference in noise levels. In fact, a difference of 3dB doubles the amount of external noise the tyre produces.

Last edited:
When I buy new tyres I’m thinking of changing from my current 215/60 R17 tyres to 235/55 R17. Any pros and cons?

When I buy new tyres I’m thinking of changing from my current 215/60 R17 tyres to 235/55 R17. Any pros and cons?
235/55/17 will fill the arches more and be cheaper in general than the van rated 215's

215's are reportedly giving longer life.

Decide on what type of tyre you want, summer or all season or all season with the 3 peaks winter rating. Then do some online searching and price checking.

235/55/17 will fill the arches more and be cheaper in general than the van rated 215's

215's are reportedly giving longer life.

Decide on what type of tyre you want, summer or all season or all season with the 3 peaks winter rating. Then do some online searching and price checking.
Many thanks @B J G . So if I went for All Seasons, what would be the full specification for the van?
My door sticker says:
235/55 R17 xl 103 H
Not been able to find anything with xl shown.

Many thanks @B J G . So if I went for All Seasons, what would be the full specification for the van?
My door sticker says:
235/55 R17 xl 103 H
Not been able to find anything with xl shown.
103 is XL.
235/55/17 also come in 99 load so avoid those.
H is speed rating and higher rating is OK, V or W

Not wishing to confuse but I have 235/60/17 106V Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyres fitted
SUV tyre has stronger sidewall and better stone/mud tread clearing ability (apparently)

103 is XL.
235/55/17 also come in 99 load so avoid those.
H is speed rating and higher rating is OK, V or W

Not wishing to confuse but I have 235/60/17 106V Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyres fitted
SUV tyre has stronger sidewall and better stone/mud tread clearing ability (apparently)
They sound good. What’s the ride and noise levels like? Any photos of them fitted?

My van has been lowered by 30mm, I assume that wouldn’t matter.

I use Goodyear Ultragrip 205 55 17 XL 103 Winter tyres on steel wheels during winter months.

They are great in snow and mud.

Little noise and good ride.

New set being fitted on Wednesday.

They sound good. What’s the ride and noise levels like? Any photos of them fitted?

My van has been lowered by 30mm, I assume that wouldn’t matter.
No noise issue.
I'm on air so can go lower than your 30mm with no problems. Front wing outer edge gets close if low but don't use that point as mud flaps start scraping on speed bumps if that low.
Ride was better in terms of steering as stiffer sidewall than 235/55/17, gave more positive control. Probably similar to what you have now,
Pot holes still crash but less than previously.
Bilstein Air so pretty stiff damping.
Photo may not show what you want but--

20210809_154435[1].jpg

235 / 55 option runs circa 10psi lower than the 215 / 60 (according to the door sticker) and so give a softer ride. I reckon they (235) also use a bit more fuel but nothing to worry about.

Back