Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK touring post-lockdown - tasty destinations

Gj the langdales is on my doorstep and one of the most Beautiful places it’s my happy place

Oh how lovely.

I was resident at the ODG or the camp ground under East Raven crag for many months of the year between 1963 and 1967, when Sid and Jammy had it. I owe my life as it is now to those two.

Splendid idea, ill be looking out for as many new places to go without leaving Blighty! So how about these three and it's my first post.
1. Porthgain Harbour, and a 2 mile stroll South West along the coast path for the Blue Lagoon at Abereiddy Beach
2. Little Haven West from Haverfordwest
3. Crooklets Beach and the stretch South to beautiful Bude.

Oh how lovely.

I was resident at the ODG or the camp ground under East Raven crag for many months of the year between 1963 and 1967, when Sid and Jammy had it. I owe my life as it is now to those two.
Yep the odg is a brilliant place to chill after a good day’s walk especially in winter when the long burner is roaring.and the campsite close by is one of my favourites although it’s now getting a bit more commercial over the 30yrs I have been going

Splendid idea, ill be looking out for as many new places to go without leaving Blighty! So how about these three and it's my first post.
1. Porthgain Harbour, and a 2 mile stroll South West along the coast path for the Blue Lagoon at Abereiddy Beach

I do like the Sloop at Porthgain

Thank you for sharing. Lots of places that I have not heard/seen. ... and also welcome to the forum as well :welcome

Great idea for a thread. My 3 are:
1. Durdle Door, Dorset - just breathtaking on the Jurassic coast and a great walk to Lulworth Cove. Picture perfect, but can be very busy.
2. White Cliffs of Dover war tunnels - I found the tour fascinating and you also get to walk around the castle.
3. Horsey Gap, Norfolk - visited in January and a great place to see literally hundreds of seals lounging on the beach
+1 for the war tunnels, we had a really good guide when we visited last October and fantastic weather as well..

I can’t wait to get back down to my beloved Saunton and Croyde. Probably head over to Woolly and park on the road for a night and wake up to the surf.
Then I’m heading down to catch up with my mate in Newquay and will park and sleep somewhere quiet and finally get over to the Gower.

But really hankering to get back to Switzerland...
At the first opportunity I’m heading over there.

Hartland Quay and Spekes Mill are also worth checking out.

Our top three
1, Skipton it allows many adventures cycling and walking on the moors or catching train into Leeds to take water taxi to royal armouries (all free)
2, favourite English city (we are in process of visiting them all up to 20 out 51) Newcastle
3, favourite area to run/walk is from campsite at tintagel to Tintagel and boscastle

Great post, plenty that I’ve visited and a few I’m going to now add to my ever increasing list. So, here’s my 3;

1. The Gower Peninsular- 3 Cliffs Campsite has spectacular views over the beach.

2. Tyneham Village - where time stopped when it was evacuated in Dec 1943 during WWII. Dorset’s ‘lost’ village, only the memories of those who used to live there now remain. Steeple, Dorset.

3. Tan Hill Inn - highest pub in Britain, Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales. Fab walks, fab food, fab ale, amazing brekkie, dog friendly and only a £5 charitable donation to overnight, loo PLUS a shower, what’s not to love!

Stay safe and may be see some of you touring, at some point.

Kirstie and Charlie the Westie
7C7D9C9A-D0FF-4064-9536-CBBA32B347CF.jpeg

Great post, plenty that I’ve visited and a few I’m going to now add to my ever increasing list. So, here’s my 3;

1. The Gower Peninsular- 3 Cliffs Campsite has spectacular views over the beach.

2. Tyneham Village - where time stopped when it was evacuated in Dec 1943 during WWII. Dorset’s ‘lost’ village, only the memories of those who used to live there now remain. Steeple, Dorset.

3. Tan Hill Inn - highest pub in Britain, Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales. Fab walks, fab food, fab ale, amazing brekkie, dog friendly and only a £5 charitable donation to overnight, loo PLUS a shower, what’s not to love!

Stay safe and may be see some of you touring, at some point.

Kirstie and Charlie the Westie
View attachment 57686
Agree with the Gower & Tan Hill :) we are booked on 3 Cliffs later this year, whether we get there is anyone’s guess.

We are also moving to Cornwall once this is all over, we sold our house just before lockdown do hope buyers will hold out. We hate being 2 hours from coast and can't wait to be able to walk to the beach

For us it will be Meadow Farm near Barrow in Leics. Seeing our family before heading to Kessick. We're lucky to be close to Durdle door and Tyneham for day trips.

Well done V.D. Great post.

1. Liverpool, 2 Cathedrals, museums, architecture, historic water front fantastic people and a great football team.

2. Cornwall coastal path from Polperro to Polruan with lunch in or outside The Russell, then across the River Fowey to pick up the path at Readymoney Cove. Great walk up to and past Gribben Tower and onward to Polkerris for a sit in the sun on the beach and then dinner at Sam's on the beach whilst watching the sun set.

3.St Bees Cumbria, fantastic beach, great walking and the start of Wainwright's coast to coast walk.

Plenty of places given to keep an active camper busy for a while. My choices from a myriad of possibilities:
Herefordshire Beacon, Malvern;
The Great Hall, Winchester;
Craster harbour, Northumberland, to sample Robson's Craster Kippers.

2. Cornwall coastal path from Polperro to Polruan with lunch in or outside The Russell, then across the River Fowey to pick up the path at Readymoney Cove. Great walk up to and past Gribben Tower and onward to Polkerris for a sit in the sun on the beach and then dinner at Sam's on the beach whilst watching the sun set.

Yes, I nearly mentioned this one. Great walk.

Thanks for all the great posts. More, more!

Reminder:
1. A favourite (specific) piece of UK landscape you can get to/near in a Cali.
2. A historic/cultural location.
3. Somewhere maybe a bit wacky/quirky/off the beaten track but worth visiting if you're in the area.

I LOVE THIS post. Great idea.

1. Chesil Beach - the Coast road from Bridport through to Abbotsbury is thoroughly spectacular (though I'm biased as I live nearby)
2. I adore Eltham Palace in Kent. An art deco gem.
3. NT Clouds Hill, Bovington. Lawrence of Arabia's home in Dorset, almost as he left it the day he died. Tiny cottage with fascinating interior.

1) Brean beach, somerset. Not many places you can take the van on the beach and good walk to the end of break down. Just close your eyes past the arcades & caravan parks.

2) Cearhays beach cornwall, almost parked on the beach. Drive in cinema and live music in the evenings in summer. Bodyboarding if the weather is coming from the right direction.

3) Stonebarrow lane Charmouth. Plenty of opportunity to park on the grass and picnic outside the van with beautiful walks and views of golden cap.

It has an interesting history, but most definitely not in Kent.

Its only 2.5miles outside Kent, given the size of the UK thats close enough for most people.
Saying its between Lee and Welling means nothing to 99.9% of the UK population.

Apologies to the poster for the off-topic diversion.

Its only 2.5miles outside Kent, given the size of the UK thats close enough for most people.
Saying its between Lee and Welling means nothing to 99.9% of the UK population.
I make it closer to six miles to Kent (and nine miles to Charing Cross the traditional centre of London). Eltham Palace is in Greenwich which is not only a London Borough but an Inner London Borough. To reach Kent you will need to traverse the entirety of one or more Outer London boroughs.

It can be confusing for a number of reasons.

1. Inner London incorporates the whole of the County of London area, abolished in 1963. So pre 1963 Outer London boroughs were parts of other counties including Kent. Even today people commonly (and incorrectly) refer to towns in outer London boroughs as being in their pre-1963 county, e.g. Welling, Kent (Welling is in the London Borough of Bexley).

2. The London postal district (shaded in red below) is significantly smaller than London (bounded by the thick black line below).
1592228582581.png

3. The inclusion of Greenwich as an Inner London borough changes for statutory purposes and statistical purposes.
1592228694720.png
Statutory boroughs of Inner London (Greenwich to the far right in pink)

1592228753332.png
Statistical boroughs of Inner London

Ok I exaggerated, from SE9 5QR - the edge of Eltham Palace Gardens to DA14 5BD the last postcode before crossing the border into kent is 4.8 miles by road, & would be shorter in a straight line.

Eltham Palace was in Kent until 1889
From 1889 to 1965 it was in woolwich
1865 - to now its greenwich

It was in Kent when it was built & hasn't moved since so for me Kent is a pretty good description as to where it is.

That's very nearly on my doorstep, our road is built on its hunting park. It has an interesting history, but most definitely not in Kent.
Sorry - you're right. London. Apologies