Underseat Drawer Condensation

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Has anyone experienced excessive condensation in the underseat drawer?

I haven’t used the drawer in a month or two and the van hasn’t been driven much lately.

I got something out today and there was lots of moisture on all the contents.

Nothing has been put away wet in the drawer.

I appreciate it’s a cold spot, so likely area for condensation.

Just wondering of anyone else had experienced this?

No, I haven't.
Are you sure no one wet him/herself on the rear bench?

Yes, it is a colder place, and because of the full metal, may cause some condensation, but I never experienced anything there getting wet, or even moist.

Was there anything in what contained water, or wasn't fully dry?

Nothing wet goes in at all - everything in there is hard surface materials eg pegs, plastic stools, mallets that sort of thing.

There was condensation on the metal edge of the drawer which made sense, but not the surface film of water over everything in there.

I’ve started to realise it’s not a good idea to leave cloth and bedding in the van. We have waterproofs and a fleece or two in the wardrobe. I had a gillet in the rear cupboard and felt it got damp. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the drawer, just a bad idea to store stuff in the van.

I’ve started to realise it’s not a good idea to leave cloth and bedding in the van. We have waterproofs and a fleece or two in the wardrobe. I had a gillet in the rear cupboard and felt it got damp. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the drawer, just a bad idea to store stuff in the van.
I tend to agree. After sleeping in it for a few nights with lower temps outside I'm surprised by how much condensation accumulates, and thats with one occupant. Double, triple the occupant count and add the dog and there are going to be consequences. I try to thoroughly aire the van in the morning to avoid an accumulation of moisture.

I use the Pingi sacks and have 2 permanently in the van. I think they are of limited benefit. Maybe useful for long term storage when the Cali is not being used. Does nothing for habitation condensation.

…. Maybe useful for long term storage when the Cali is not being used.
That was, I understand, the OP’s question. The Pingi’s certainly are not much good for habitation condensation: for that you need the auxiliary heater and lots of air changes.

We use those too. I feel it helps with condensation on the windscreen. But never had a problem with condensation in the bench drawer or wardrobe though.
Yes, I thought it was an odd one.

Especially given there are no soft finishes to absorb moisture - no carpets anywhere and waterproof seat covers.

Not been slept in since August and 90% just me pootling about on occasion since.

Anyhow, no biggie. Just odd.

Yes, I thought it was an odd one.

Especially given there are no soft finishes to absorb moisture - no carpets anywhere and waterproof seat covers.

Not been slept in since August and 90% just me pootling about on occasion since.

Anyhow, no biggie. Just odd.
Might it just be above average nighttime humidity? I guess you could buy a few small hygrometers and leave in the vehicle and monitor things:

Nothing wet goes in at all - everything in there is hard surface materials eg pegs, plastic stools, mallets that sort of thing.

There was condensation on the metal edge of the drawer which made sense, but not the surface film of water over everything in there.
strange, never had any issues with condensation in drawers or cupboards in our old Cali

This was why I was intruiged. I am wondering if it’s related to leaky roof. Although that’s obviously down at the moment
if there's damp left in the van somewhere from your leak it could show itself as condensation in the coldest parts of the van but I wouldn't have thought the underseat drawer.

Aye. It surprised me indeed
I have some ruuvi sensors mounted in the van - they measure temp, movement and humidity. They aren’t cheap but high quality and satisfy my appetite for data! Might be worth looking at to monitor condensation build up in the van, especially if you plan to not use it for a while?

I have one in the fridge, one on the roof (for external temp) one by the water tank (to warn me if I need to empty it in low tempatures, it’s never happened!) and one inside the van.

IMG_1477.jpeg

Back