Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removal of underseat drawer T6.1

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Has anyone removed the underseat drawer? It seems like it must be done by removing the slide rail assembly (four black domed allen bolts on each side as in photo). I can’t see a way to detach the drawer from the rails unless I am missing something. I need to take it off to replace the front trim which I managed to crack by running it over the D anchor in the seat rail with bed in forward position. Stupid but lesson learned. Any advice from anyone who has removed the drawer would be welcome. Thanks.

Has anyone removed the underseat drawer? It seems like it must be done by removing the slide rail assembly (four black domed allen bolts on each side as in photo). I can’t see a way to detach the drawer from the rails unless I am missing something. I need to take it off to replace the front trim which I managed to crack by running it over the D anchor in the seat rail with bed in forward position. Stupid but lesson learned. Any advice from anyone who has removed the drawer would be welcome. Thanks.
Picture of slider rail and allen bolts on driver side…

F4CB4AAE-8C57-43F8-B336-5CFE88CFE72E.jpeg

Difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like a standard drawer runner, the rear fixing looks like a hook into the rear of the drawer.
If that is the case I would expect that with the draw fully pulled out you should be able to lift the front up & then pull it slightly forward to release it.

It might need quite a bit of force to lift the front.

That’s how the GC drawers are fitted using the same runners.

Thanks Andy, I did try that, maybe I wasn’t being forceful enough with it! But the runners look quite flimsy and I dont want to bend them out of shape. I have since found a thread which suggests there is a retaining screw for the small drawer (if fitted) and that it should be the same for the main drawer. I’ll have another look tomorrow.

There should be a couple of screws visible inside the drawer. Remove those and it just lifts off the rails.

On a t5 as said above there are 2 screws in the inside bottom of the drawer. Undo and lift out.

I can't see the t6 being any different (but sometimes things surprise me). I took the whole lot apart once, there is a thread with pictures here somewhere

Thanks guys - I found what looks like a couple of rubber bump stop grommets at the back of the drawer, one each side. Maybe the screws are under those?

Here is the thread. First pictures

Hi Graham, My 2005 has two small screws, located about 1 " from the front wall, at each side, and found inside the drawer. Remove those screws and the drawer lifts up from the front. There are two 'prongs' at the bottom back corners that capture the drawer at the back. Undo the front screws, lift the front and then swing the drawer up to free the rear prongs.
Re-installation is the reverse and you need to ensure that the prongs re-engage in their holes at rear. Failing to engage the prongs will leave you with a drwer that operates, but doesn't latch and rolls forward when you brake the vehiccle. Ask, how I know this...
Doug

Hi Graham, My 2005 has two small screws, located about 1 " from the front wall, at each side, and found inside the drawer. Remove those screws and the drawer lifts up from the front. There are two 'prongs' at the bottom back corners that capture the drawer at the back. Undo the front screws, lift the front and then swing the drawer up to free the rear prongs.
Re-installation is the reverse and you need to ensure that the prongs re-engage in their holes at rear. Failing to engage the prongs will leave you with a drwer that operates, but doesn't latch and rolls forward when you brake the vehiccle. Ask, how I know this...
Doug
Thanks Doug, that makes sense - I’ll have another look today and see if I can work it out.

Back