Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unusually smoky exhaust T5:1 California

Guy d

Guy d

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Some advice please the other day, I stopped at a peace in Senegal and the exhaust coming out of the back of the wagon was so thick I thought I had a fire. I turn the engine off and water continue to drip steadily out of the exhaust. I have been driving for about for five hours this point

Fearing the worst, I checked the oil but no white flecks in it and the water leve was ok. No lights on the dashboard and the temperature at normal. Having pulled over, exhaust continue to drip for a bit but there is no longer at the same time a great deal of water was flowing from what I believe to be the air-conditioning overflwo

So, my question is this is there some mechanism in the exhaust which dumps moisture into the exhaust for certain periods. (I am told the catalytic converter might have a purge process-could it be that?)

With the excessive condensation on the air-conditioning units, could it be the atmospherics with your search for a short period exhaust was very common words? 99 the wagon continues to work well. Any thoughts on this would be pretty appreciated

I'm not being rude but a little information about the vehicle might help. eg: Year and milage and LHD or RHD

Do you have the 3 Zone Climatronic AirCon?

Where is your AirCon drain? If you have the 3 zone then there are normally 2 drains, R rear wheel area and rear of engine bay.

I think that is really helpful. Vehicle is 2012 right-hand drive for motion with 50,000 miles. I think it is a two zone air-conditioner one in the front and one in the back. It’s far as drains are concerned, I saw water pouring out of a small little drain on the bulkhead in front of the passenger seat (but in the engine bay)

Sounds like the rear air con drainer is letting the water out.
It is near to the exhaust pipe. Its normal in high temps.

I think that is really helpful. Vehicle is 2012 right-hand drive for motion with 50,000 miles. I think it is a two zone air-conditioner one in the front and one in the back. It’s far as drains are concerned, I saw water pouring out of a small little drain on the bulkhead in front of the passenger seat (but in the engine bay)
As @westfalia has said. If you have the rear AirCon system as well then that drains out by the R rear wheel, just where the exhaust system is located. It might be that the drainage tube Part 9 is blocked/damaged/disconnected so that the draining water is dripping onto a hot exhaust.
Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 10.29.02.jpg

All this equipment is behind the trim and air vent on the R side of the boot space.

Sounds like the rear air con drainer is letting the water out.
It is near to the exhaust pipe. Its normal in high temps.
That is a relief. And all sounds about right. Many thanks for your advice

As @westfalia has said. If you have the rear AirCon system as well then that drains out by the R rear wheel, just where the exhaust system is located. It might be that the drainage tube Part 9 is blocked/damaged/disconnected so that the draining water is dripping onto a hot exhaust.
View attachment 55665

All this equipment is behind the trim and air vent on the R side of the boot space.
Thank you very much. I’ll learn something every day! I will have a cautious inspection

Thank you very much. I’ll learn something every day! I will have a cautious inspection
Do let us know the outcome.

Back