Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smell of Exhaust Fumes in the Cab

John

John

VIP Member
This is a fault on my Cali that I inherited from the previous owner. SMG were a great help and Russell their chief Cali technician investigated it as part of a free winter check.

I thought it would be good to share the symptoms, causes, and rectification of this fault as it might be something that you may come across with your own Cali.

Symptoms are the smell of small amount of diesel exhaust fumes in the cab but only when you are stationary. The smell disappears when you start moving.

Cause, in my case, after further investigation Russell found that the exhaust manifold was cracked and needed replacing. Other causes can be leaking gaskets and even a leaking turbo.

Rectification, in my case, Russell had to remove the exhaust manifold and turbo. Those of you who have worked on exhaust will know what a pain they can be. Studs and nuts can corrode badly and it can be a real pain removing the nuts without damage. In fact in my case two of the studs were broken and needed drilling out of the cylinder head which is very common on the T5. First the studs were replaced then the exhaust manifold and turbo were replaced with new gaskets which rectified the fault.

If you experience these symptoms and you are still covered by warranty I recomend that you get this work carried out straight away as the cost can vary enormously. A leaking gasket will cost around £300 to rectify where as a leaking turbo will cost over £1500. In my case Alex really looked after me well as the club discount saved me a lot of money on this work and other work that my Cali needed.

I would like to thank Alex, Russell and the other the other staff of SMG for their help.

That is really good to hear John that SMG looked after you with this, also this shows the importance of full check of your Cali by a dealer just before your warranty expires.

Back