Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Up to 4 years to fix roof corrosion from date of approval!!!

oilydavid

oilydavid

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have a 2012 180DSG. approved for repair by VW Oct 2014 with no date for carrying out the work at Shorade Cannock. After lots of phone calls to Shorade established I was no 93 on their list, they had completed 20 by July 2015 and were doing 2 per month so on my reckoning I had another 3 years to wait so 4 years in total!!! So very dissatisfied I rang VWCS who after ages on the phone would not give me a date. I got a manager to ring me back as I said I would consider court action if they were not going to improve on 4 years. I was told they are training 2 more outlets this Autumn but that the situation would become clearer at the beginning of 2016.
How many other people are actually being able to get a date? It may be the club needs to give VW another massive shove to actually communicate sensibly and face up to putting sufficient resources into the repair plans. I cannot think of any product costing £50000 takes 4 years to repair, let alone 18 months which some peo;e appear to have had to wait.

For me knowing I am on a list and VW is paying is enough. The van remains fully usable and enjoyed daily. There is a little cosmetic paint changes which doesn't effect our vans use and I have make an effort to look at as its on the front roof panel.

Mine was just south of 3 years from point of initial approval... Then 6 months to fix the various damage that the workshop caused whilst carrying out the repair. (Cost VW about the same again!)

Not too concerned at the time it took, it's the lack of communication that was most frustrating.

As mentioned above, it is only cosmetic, don't let it spoil your enjoyment of the van. :)

My concern would not be the length of time, for as others have said it is only cosmetic, the van is perfectly usable.

My concern would be the feeling of contempt that lack of communication, a seeming lack of care and a total absence of "sorry for all of this" implies. I am usually quite sensible when faced with "cut my nose off to spite my face" decisions (I really do not think that I would look good without a nose) but the contemptuous attitude from VW is almost making me noseless..

Last edited:
Very interested to hear this as I was about to post this query:
"My Cali T5 SE 180PS DSG 4Motion was produced in late January 2014 after VW say they introduced their roof corrosion modification. When I took it in for its last service on 2.3.16 I asked if the VW service team would remove the seal to check for corrosion. They were reluctant to do so as they said it was a one and a half hour job and there was no visible sign of corrosions on simple inspection. I have read on the forum that it's an easy job to take off and replace the seal but am reluctant to try it myself in view of the service person's comment about an hour and a half. As it has an extended 6 year warranty for this issue should I leave removal of the seal until say 5 years as this will still be within the warranty or get it done sooner - any experience with this please?"
From your post it looks like I'd better get on with it but I was very surprised by their suggested labour time.

On an unrelated matter, the automatic engine switch off has recently stopped working. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and any simple solutions (other than checking to see it's switched on!)?

Given that the repairs to the lifting roof do not seem to be lasting long before having to be redone. My thinking is that so long as you are within the 6 year warranty, the longer you wait before having it done the more chance there is that VW will have come up with a permanent repair.

pulling off the roof seal is a piece of wee wee. just get hold of it and pull it down. then just bang it back into place with your hand. ano hour and a half job? 2 minutes mate with the roof up and a step ladder. as for the auto engine off many things cause that not to work. the air con being on. the engine needing to 'do' something like run the radiator fan and I wouldn't worry about it as mine never works right either

Very interested to hear this as I was about to post this query:
"My Cali T5 SE 180PS DSG 4Motion was produced in late January 2014 after VW say they introduced their roof corrosion modification. When I took it in for its last service on 2.3.16 I asked if the VW service team would remove the seal to check for corrosion. They were reluctant to do so as they said it was a one and a half hour job and there was no visible sign of corrosions on simple inspection. I have read on the forum that it's an easy job to take off and replace the seal but am reluctant to try it myself in view of the service person's comment about an hour and a half. As it has an extended 6 year warranty for this issue should I leave removal of the seal until say 5 years as this will still be within the warranty or get it done sooner - any experience with this please?"
From your post it looks like I'd better get on with it but I was very surprised by their suggested labour time.

On an unrelated matter, the automatic engine switch off has recently stopped working. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and any simple solutions (other than checking to see it's switched on!)?
1. As far as I am aware, could be wrong, the manufacturing changes were implemented for Model Year 2015, which means June 2014.
2. Removing the Edge Seal, might be easy, BUT replacing the seal may not be as simple as " banging it back into place with your hand " according to VW's procedure which the Dealership would follow. As we have been told in other posts, I think @hotel california has mentioned it, VW use a special crimping tool to put the Edge Seal on otherwise a new seal wouldn't stay on, and using the old seal and pushing it back can cause damage. So 1.5 hrs doesn't seem so bad if they follow procedure.
3. How many miles has your vehicle done? Many factors control Stop/Start. Among them are DPF regeneration and AirCon set at 20c or less.

trust me. and hopefully get backed up here. the seal just bangs back on with your hand. I've done it. That's how I discovered this

20170514_140653.jpg

Glad more T6 owners are checking now. Hopefully VW will realise it actually exists on the T6 now. Shame so many are too scared to check.

Thanks @flying banana

no problem. I reckon vw say these things to stop people doing it and then avoid the warranty claim. but really the seal goes back on easy. I'm yet to decide what to do about mine.

if it's wrong to bang the seal back on with your hand I stand corrected. but I don't understand how it would be different at a garage. factory maybe. anyway I took mine off and put it back no problem. up to you. if you don't want to then don't. I've been in lots of storms since and the seal is fine.

The seal is put on by hand in the factory and can easy be removed and put back by yourself at home.
It is the new procedure where VW applys a tape arround the roofs edge under the seal they apply with a tool , then they put the seal on by hand.
We have seen this happen when we did the club factory visit last april , when i done the factory visit in november last year the did not used the tape yet!
Think @WelshGas had it mixed up there...
Checking under the seal or even changing the seal can be done in 15 min. Imo . Any dealer saying he can not do this for whatever reason is talking BS!

@flying banana , yours is how old ? 2016 witch month? I think it is best to report it .

Last edited:
I can confirm, it's easy to pull down a small length to check for corrosion on both roofs with or without the VW sticky tape remedy for corrosion. Then just as easy to replace it, no special tools required, just a pair of hands.
I've not caused any damage on any occasions I've done it, both on T5 and T6's and think it could only be damaged if the seal metal insert was badly damaged.

mines 2016 t6 beach. done 12k.not sure which month. January I think. will have to check. can you report it at any vw place or does it have to be commercial? there isn't a commercial centre at vw doncaster

The seal is put on by hand in the factory and can easy be removed and put back by yourself at home.
It is the new procedure where VW applys a tape arround the roofs edge under the seal they apply with a tool , then they put the seal on by hand.
We have seen this happen when we did the club factory visit last april , when i done the factory visit in november last year the did not used the tape yet!
Think @WelshGas had it mixed up there...
Checking under the seal or even changing the seal can be done in 15 min. Imo . Any dealer saying he can not do this for whatever reason is talking BS!

@flying banana , yours is how old ? 2016 witch month? I think it is best to report it .
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-general-discussion.9000/page-173#post-214828

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 10.59.29.jpg

Only stating what has been stated before and shown in VW's own Video.

@WelshGas , that tool they use is just a roller to push the seal on , this does noting that can not be done by hand but imagine how your hands look like doing it the whole day....thats why they use a roller .
It certainly not krimp or thightens the seal on the roof.
That's a old video , don't know if ther's a video yet with the T6 in the headroll?

@WelshGas , that tool they use is just a roller to push the seal on , this does noting that can not be done by hand but imagine how your hands look like doing it the whole day....thats why they use a roller .
It certainly not krimp or thightens the seal on the roof.
That's a old video , don't know if ther's a video yet with the T6 in the headroll?

IMG_0341.PNG

:Iamsorry But looking at that machine head it has 3 rollers, 1 to push the seal onto the roof panel edge and 2 rollers to apply lateral pressure onto the metal "U" clip within the rubber to crimp it tightly to the edge. I very much doubt if a brand new seal could be fitted evenly without such a tool. Now an "Already" fitted seal can be pulled down and replaced in the same position and in so doing could damage the paint. Further evidence of the action of this tool are the lateral lines some have seen when the seal has been pulled down. Paint thickness is probably greater on the curved edges of the elevating roof panel which is due to a liquid paint and gravity, just physics. The same principle when you get paint runs on a vertical panel by spraying too thick a coat or not allowing sufficient time for the previous coat to dry.

Also, just pushing a tightly fitted seal to an edge is very likely to damage the paint if it is a tight fit, and the roof edge seal has to be a tight fit because it is not uncommon for the seal to stick to the roof where it touches and if not a tight fit could be pulled off as the roof rises.

By all means, pull it Off and push it On again if you wish. That is your choice, but be aware it could be problematic.
I very much doubt if the process has altered for the T6.:thumb

I agree with most of WelshGas's post. I posted the video because it clearly suggests the degree of force used to change the form of the moulding and almost certainly accounts for the tram lines we always see.

Whatever the technical rights and wrongs I have been to two well-known VW Commercial dealerships and have witnessed them first/hand willingly removing and replacing the seal, though admittedly they did not take it right off. It took just minutes and the seal went back fine. The second dealer did suggest that it shouldn't be done too often for fear of damage being done to the paintwork by the grit that gathers under the seal.

1. As far as I am aware, could be wrong, the manufacturing changes were implemented for Model Year 2015, which means June 2014.
2. Removing the Edge Seal, might be easy, BUT replacing the seal may not be as simple as " banging it back into place with your hand " according to VW's procedure which the Dealership would follow. As we have been told in other posts, I think @hotel california has mentioned it, VW use a special crimping tool to put the Edge Seal on otherwise a new seal wouldn't stay on, and using the old seal and pushing it back can cause damage. So 1.5 hrs doesn't seem so bad if they follow procedure.
3. How many miles has your vehicle done? Many factors control Stop/Start. Among them are DPF regeneration and AirCon set at 20c or less.