Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'Upgrading' to a Cali

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
As we wait patiently for our new Cali; I spend my time reading all the various threads relating to people's experiences with the Campervan. It seems the natural progression is spending years under canvas to the eventual upgrade if funds permit, to the Campervan with the Cali being the ultimate.
We seem to have arrived at the Cali from a different direction, having spent many years visiting and walking in the Lakes but always staying in hotels till eventually we have become bored with them, regardless of how luxurious.
We are 100% confident the 'Cali' is the way for us in experiencing the great outdoors. Just curious as to how other owners arrived at the decision to 'bite the bullet'.

More or less the same as you Vincent
After wearing down the knee joints backpacking the Cali was the only way to go :bananadance:bananadance

Alan

We took the plunge 3 years ago when we realised our girls weren't babies anymore and were growing up quick! It took a massive chunk out of our life savings but the only regret is not doing it earlier. We already have some fantastic memories that will no doubt be added to when we get our new beach in a few weeks!
Enjoy your new van when it arrives. It adds another dimension to staying in the Lakes. This is Low Wray next to Windermere at about 10pm in the summer.

image.jpeg

My evaluation process was like this:
  1. I have never owned a campervan.
  2. A campervan would be absolutely fabulous (for about fifty reasons)
  3. I don't like carpet walls, 90's nightclub decor, or loads of MDF inside a vehicle, or puny engines. Or old unreliable vehicles that are likely to break down 1000 miles from home.
  4. VW makes factory original campervans that retain value like nothing else on British roads.
  5. I need a daily driver, utility vehicle and camper rolled into one (if possible). A people carrier would also be handy at times.
  6. I now really, really want a California Beach.
  7. I have enough organs to pay for this.

I have been going on touring caravan holidays with family since I was 6 weeks old and wanted to continue to do so on my own but didn't fancy towing or storing a caravan. I have always loved classic campers but completely agree with Batmobile re carpet walls, small engines and possible reliability worries of older vehicles. My parents had looked at a California several years ago as a tow car/weekend stopover for dog shows but went with another LR Disco instead - once I had seen one I was hooked and just had to wait until I was in a position to afford one. I initially looked to buy a pre-facelift T5 but went with a PCP deal in the end and have no regrets - Ariadne is my only vehicle for everything and I am still exited to get in and go, even though I drive her at least 5 days every week!

Maud

Tent to Caravan to Motorhome to Caravan(s) to Camper ...

interspersed by years spent at 35,000ft in an aluminium tube followed by weeks and weeks in sterile, boring, overheated hotels

So now I will probably never fly anywhere again, avoid hotels like the plague, can't stand the faffing about with a Caravan, if I wanted a furniture van then I would go into the removal business,

Really only leaves a campervan :D

I have never been a fan of tent camping, we have spent one night each summer the last years. Kids love it, but I am getting too comfortable. Further, some campsites at nice locations don't allow tents at all.
I dont like full on campers or trailers either.
Top Gear Magazines review of the California leaned me over, including their conclusion of getting a Beach.

Tent to Caravan to Motorhome to Caravan(s) to Camper ...

interspersed by years spent at 35,000ft in an aluminium tube followed by weeks and weeks in sterile, boring, overheated hotels

So now I will probably never fly anywhere again, avoid hotels like the plague, can't stand the faffing about with a Caravan, if I wanted a furniture van then I would go into the removal business,

Really only leaves a campervan :D
Six years ago I found myself suddenly alone with two 'wolves' and needed to be able to get away. It is very difficult finding places to stay with 'wolves' in tow. B&Bs write things like: "we welcome pets and have our own in house – 'Flossy' the cat …", and you just know that is not going to work! I noticed by chance that they still sold VW camper-vans and ordered a California without even looking at it. Then I spent five months waiting for delivery and worrying that it was such a stupid thing to do (they are, as my friends say, "reassuringly expensive"). But from the moment it arrived the 'wolves' and I just loved it. We travel around the country and to Scotland and France – complete freedom. We are now on our second California and love it more than ever.

I was 2 years past being due a new car (Alfa Brera) loved it to bits that car but it was time to go. We also now had dogs who didn't like my pokey little coupe.

I had a camper but I was fed up of fixing my T25 and paying for welding and maintenance, so wanted something new and a bit more reliable. I got it because I couldn't afford a bay or a split and within a year I had spent about 10k on restoration and upgrades to the old girl. I realised I clearly had the cash flow for something more modern and was kidding myself I couldn't afford it. The cost per day away in the T25 was a little scary when you worked it out.

Ironically I find I do miss the modifications and upgrading of the older van, as the 3 seat Cali Beach needs nothing really. (except maybe a little kitchen and some storage). That old van is unique to me and there isn't another like it (although everyone seems to be copying my paint scheme this year). Cali sadly they are all generally alike, which is the only minor downside for me.

20140210-124213.jpg

Tents, old camper to extend season, restoration costs £££, trailer tent (sleeping off the ground), self convert van, Cali

1976 Vango Force 10 2-man ridge tent when there were just 2 in the family. (with Lotus Elan Sprint DH)
Same when we were 3. (with Citroen Dyane)

1982 Vango 3-man ridge tent when we were 4. (Dyane, Renault 17TS Decouvrable)
Same when we were 5. (Renault Fuego Decouvrable)

Second-hand Trigano Randger 4-man folding trailer tent when we were 6. (Espace)

Gradually back to the '76 Vango as growing kids stopped coming with us. (Yaris 1.0)

So now our Cali is a GREAT luxury for just us 2!

Don't like hotels much, have to get up in time for breakfast! Would have saved us a load of dough though.

Our timeline was: Tent - Splittie - Dormobile D4/6 Bay - (kids arrive) Caravan :eek: - Wedge (Devon Moonraker 3 kids in roof!) - Ford Flair (really difficult with 5 people!) - Autohomes Bedouin (loads of room but kids walking over us to use the loo) - Elddis Autoquest (separate bedroom now for us :D) - Swift Kon Tiki (loads of room, bikes on back, kayaks on the roof, but kids won't come with us after we got it :headbang) - Autosleeper Symbol (big mistake horrible petrol engine) - Autotrail Tracker (luxury fittings but sat on it's bump stops handles like a barge) - Knaus Sportvan Ti (great van still miss it) - California 1 - California 2 (enough said :) )

Our evaluation process:

1) Autumn 2015 - "what shall we do for your 40th birthday next year?" said husband to me...
2) "How about the States again"...or "I really would like explore Northern Spain more" I replied
3) "Wouldn't it be nice to explore in a camper van?" we both thought.
4) Spent December drooling over blinged up conversions in VW mags....decided to stop thinking about it in case it was a fad.
5) January - still not a fad as same magazines being read....
6) Last Saturday - "how about we go and sit in a California at one of the VW showrooms....just so we can try the space out" said he...
7) Bought in on the Sunday :shocked
8) Totally justified to myself that it is both a car and a holiday in one :happy

My dad bought a clapped out old T2 when we were kids, parked it in a back street car park on our estate and promised he was going to do it up. Made a good start with his mig welder but the problems kept coming and he sold it on so we never got away in it. I used to just love sitting/playing in it in the car park though with other local kids. From then on I was determined I'd have one of my own but never learned any of the skills needed to renovate or maintain an older version.

Turn 30 this year and spent my 20s on long haul backpacking trips (i'm fortunate to have one of those jobs that gives you 6 weeks off in the summer...) but realised that the best ones usually involved some kind of camping and that it didn't so much matter where the destination was, just the freedom and the connection with the outdoors.

Our daughter arrived last year and so now seemed like the right time to make the dream a reality and have the kind of experiences as a family that I'd always thought about. The thing i've probably read most in these forums is "I wish we'd bought it sooner" so having followed lots of talk about discounts, loyalty bonuses, recommended dealers and potentially huge VED rate rises we took the plunge this week and placed an order with Guy in Preston for an Ocean 150 DSG. We work an absurd number of hours in the week and see this as an investment in our family for weekends and holidays, a bloody expensive one that we'll be paying for for years to come and will mean sacrifices in other areas, but it's so exciting to think about what the future might hold and how our adventures might shape the character of our little one.

I'm certain no other vehicle could elicit the same emotions.

but realised that the best ones usually involved some kind of camping and that it didn't so much matter where the destination was, just the freedom and the connection with the outdoors.

I'm certain no other vehicle could elicit the same emotions.

Totally agree re the freedom and outdoors....I can't wait to get Bertie next week as I already have a list of where to go including places on my door step. My husband is convinced I'm going to be sitting on the drive with the awning up and drinking tea in the Cali :rolleyes:

Totally agree re the freedom and outdoors....I can't wait to get Bertie next week as I already have a list of where to go including places on my door step. My husband is convinced I'm going to be sitting on the drive with the awning up and drinking tea in the Cali :rolleyes:
And why not!:thumb

For us:
Various tents before our first caravan (a tiny Freedom Microlite) following birth of daughter no. 1. Then Conway trailer tent following birth of daughter no. 2 followed by Conway folding camper (kids loved that) then back to trailer tent - camplet (kids hated but I loved as quick and easy to put up). Then another caravan which the kids loved and now the Cali, which daughter no. 1 hates but I'm not selling it!

Youth hosteling in my youth, backpacking and camping....then a period of long hours and no one keen on joining me. Along comes dog so bought a tent and set off, with much trepidation. Having bought the tent enroute, I dreaded being the entertainment on the site on arrival!. However that was a minor problem....the main problem was the dog who barked with vengeance all through the night every time someone trapsed off to the loo!)
So abandoned tent (still in loft with one night's use), thought of caravan (can't tow), motor home (couldn't visualise using car parks half way up mountains, or indeed how to stop in villages), went to caravan and motorhome show, spent all day trying to decide which motorhome....spotted VWs on way out....the rest is history!

I spent most of my time pre 30 backpacking in a variety of tents (anyone remember Phoenix?) in Snowdonia, the lakes and many munroes. Post marriage it was more bike packing, Scotland, Norway, Iceland, Arizona, Alaksa, New Zealand, France and so on. North Face Tadpole and then a Hilleberg. Sometimes we did car camping with a Kyham dome. As far as I recall, we were talking campers almost since we got married, but after 21 years of dithering we finally took the plunge. I think for us the timing was right...we stopped the big bike trips whilst we dealt with some caring issues and then made a downsize move to southern Scotland. So now we have a lovely base to explore the country we love the most. Right vehicle, right place, right time. First 2016 trip this weekend in fact; so excited already, got some new toys to try out as well...watch this space for reports.

Camping for holidays, loads of hotels for work, family holidays in camper vans in the 60s.

Then spent far too long looking at all the options and wondering if we really would use it. How stupid was that.

Back