Upgrading to motorhome

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I considered upgrading two years ago when my Sister felt she wanted to travel with me and I had got a bit tired of spending a few months of the year on my own.

I have had bad experiences in the past of fiat Ducato, and I do not see many commenting favourably on them now, so for me it had to be Mercedes or VW based which led me to Hymer. If I wanted to go bigger it would be Hymer Grand Canyon S, the best compromise between size and the bathroom facilities that my Sister would need at least part of the time.

We did not go down that route eventually, we bought an Eriba caravan which gives me the camper to use as a second car and for me when I am camping on my own and my sisters bedroom and bathroom for when we are travelling together.

I was, still am, very impressed with the Grand Canyon S.

Breeze1

Breeze1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I would be wary of anything that needs a C1 license as it restricts the resale audience. Anyone who passed their test up to 1990 was given C1 under grandfather rights. After that a separate driving test is required which most people don't bother with unless they are going to be HGV drivers etc. This means effectively that you've ruled out 99% of people under the age of 47 as potential buyers.
Apparently most people who buy these are just turning grey and well in the limits and will be for some time!!! 99% Really.

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I considered upgrading two years ago when my Sister felt she wanted to travel with me and I had got a bit tired of spending a few months of the year on my own.

I have had bad experiences in the past of fiat Ducato, and I do not see many commenting favourably on them now, so for me it had to be Mercedes or VW based which led me to Hymer. If I wanted to go bigger it would be Hymer Grand Canyon S, the best compromise between size and the bathroom facilities that my Sister would need at least part of the time.

We did not go down that route eventually, we bought an Eriba caravan which gives me the camper to use as a second car and for me when I am camping on my own and my sisters bedroom and bathroom for when we are travelling together.

I was, still am, very impressed with the Grand Canyon S.
It would be the Sven hedin for me gj ,
but the Grand Canyon is similar and stunning.
I just like westys the quality is stunning being fully winterised with the underfloor heating is just luxurious.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I just like westys the quality is stunning being fully winterised with the underfloor heating is just luxurious.
That too would have been very high on my want list. Either are lovely.

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I think white is the only colour that does that justice.
It looks like a upmarket Mediterranean apartment :D
That in grey would look like a Birmingham high rise :cool::cool: I think clarkson would agree

larrylamb

larrylamb

Califandango
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We hired a Westfalia Columbus, the under floor heating, blown heating and hot water system were fantastic. Very nice for the colder months.

Legin

Legin

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I have considered it. After numerous conversations with owners past and present concluded its a Cali or nothing. The most comment was it was too big so I sold it. Im a long time caravaner and wouldnt go back to that. The restrictions of movement and spoilt driving experience mean a car and hotels wins the day for me. The only caveat is if you are truly nomadic and travel a lot. Im not and I dont.
The marginal option is a 5.4m meter van with shower and bog but the seating is poor in most of them.

T6Beach

T6Beach

VIP Member
I certainly would not be spending £50k plus on another diesel vehicle when restrictions are only going to get worse over the coming years.

Breeze1

Breeze1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, T6 Beach.
Interesting, so what would you replace yours with say in 2/3 years time?

Bellcrew

Bellcrew

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, T6 Beach.
Interesting, so what would you replace yours with say in 2/3 years time?
It will be interesting to see how many vehicle dealers/manufactures will still be in business in the near future with enough capital to develop mass electric and alternative fuelled vehicles. The PCP system is going to be hammered by this emergency, will the public have enough purchasing power to buy them even if they are viable.

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yes i agree, its impressive.

You can call me a dick, but i wouldn't mind camping in that :)
[/QUOTE
We hired a Westfalia Columbus, the under floor heating, blown heating and hot water system were fantastic. Very nice for the colder months.
They certainly are .
we owned a columbus 601d from new It was definitely one of the best campers we ever had the pleasure to own.as well as the California but the Fiat quality wasn’t the best .this was the only let down.
It will be a hard sad day when I have to let the cali go to a new home.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have considered it. After numerous conversations with owners past and present concluded its a Cali or nothing. The most comment was it was too big so I sold it. Im a long time caravaner and wouldnt go back to that. The restrictions of movement and spoilt driving experience mean a car and hotels wins the day for me. The only caveat is if you are truly nomadic and travel a lot. Im not and I dont.
The marginal option is a 5.4m meter van with shower and bog but the seating is poor in most of them.
We have in the past. Pre-booked 3-4 hotels we wanted to stay at and used the Cali for the odd nights in between.
It’s a great balance between the freedom of the van and some luxury in between.
The Cali didn’t look out of place in a nice hotel car park either...

R

russho

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just bought a Auto trail Tribute T669, will sell the Cali in a month or so, want to use the 669 first, see how it goes. Had cali for over 10years

Grr

Grr

Towel babes
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone considering upgrading to a motorhome? we have decided we need more room and a bathroom mainly to extend our season to all year round especially in Europe ( once borders reopen)

Before we get the usual replies about size etc.. I am asking if anyone is considering it? I'm NOT asking people to compare the Cali with a Motorhome as we know there is a compromise with both which has already been done to death on here.
Hi, we've made the jump and have sold our Cali and seriously considered a motorhome/ campervan/grand cali and after many many months of searching decided that motorhomes are poorly assembled/built when compared to a Cali. After 12 months of searching have gone to the dark side and ordered a Fifth wheel Inos caravan. Expensive but when compared to what's on the market a great option to benefit from all year holidaying. The decision on why to change was that our teenagers are growing at a rate of knots and we wanted to camp all year round meaning that even kicking the boys out to a tent to sleep there was not enough room for us all to sit in the van. Have loved the cali but wanted more versatility for all year round adventure with the family.

KWT

KWT

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just traded ours in after 9 years for a 7.5m big white. Yes the cali was a great little run around and have camped in it all seasons in the alps. For us it's just far too small now for our needs. Dont think we would have another one.