Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uprated battery & alternator option

B

Barry Chuckle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Mindful of not creating a repeated thread, I've searched high and low for information about this and cannot find a specific thread that doesn't go off topic.

I have the option of speccing the following on a new Ocean Stronger AGM battery and increased alternator capacity. Not 204PS 4MOTION engines. However I cannot find anymore information about this. Does anybody else have this option, and if so what are the 'before and after' technical changes of either having or not having. Finally do you think this option is worth it?

Many thanks

My limited understanding is that it’s largely a hangover from the commercial van nature of the base vehicle whereby it would be useful if you are a delivery driver with frequent need to stop/start the engine and hence the extra capacity is useful.
I didn’t spec. it on ours but did at least think about it albeit only from the basic layman’s view that “surely bigger is better”.

So I'm guessing it only increases the capacity of the vehicle battery rather than the leisure?

I remember choosing it but depending on other options you choose in the configurator sometimes lets you no longer have it..
In the end I see I have NY3 option : better alternator 180 A on my cali, it is the same motorization as you indicate.Batteries front and leisure are equal : 75Ah printed on the batterie, if you look up the type number with the battery manufacturer it is specified as 80 Ah. The control panel give me also around 80Ah with fully loaded batteries (max 50% discharge ).
It is one of the options you will never say ‘glad i ordered it’, maybe it allows faster charge but difficult to compare. Cali is my only car so thought it might be usefull.
Normally we activate ‘max charge’ 30 to 60 min before arriving at campsite, better alternator may be helpfully to charge leisure batteries faster if the charging circuit allows it.

Last edited:
I’d say, on a 6.1, the max charge function largely makes it an unnecessary option.

So I'm guessing it only increases the capacity of the vehicle battery rather than the leisure?
Would only be the engine battery.
Pro's could be
Prolonged parked time having less risk of a 'flat' battery.
Both engine and leisure batteries would charge faster after being run down on camping multiday stay.

T6.1 is very electrically/electronic dependent

Back