Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uprated Alternator and Battery

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I had an interesting response from our dealer when we spec'd our order.

You can't have an uprated Alternator and Battery when you have a heated front screen. You can have an updated battery, but not the uprated alternator.

Seemed a bit odd and VW UK couldn't explain why.

Perhaps it gets one as standard if you select the heated screen? I can't think of any reasonable reason why not otherwise.

I went for the uprated battery anyway.

Personally I see no reason for the Heated Windscreen if you have a Diesel Parking Heater fitted. Heater on and in 10minutes vehicle warm and all windows ice free. Remote works from over 50m range.
Obviously if you don't have the Diesel Parking heater then it can be useful.

I did order the parking heater, but the quick clear screens can be useful if there is slight misting on a cool morning where you wouldn't want full heat.

I am looking forward to being able to turn up the heat on a very cold winters day though.

I had an interesting response from our dealer when we spec'd our order.

You can't have an uprated Alternator and Battery when you have a heated front screen. You can have an updated battery, but not the uprated alternator.

Seemed a bit odd and VW UK couldn't explain why.

Perhaps it gets one as standard if you select the heated screen? I can't think of any reasonable reason why not otherwise.

I went for the uprated battery anyway.

I thought i had seen someone else say that the uprated alternator was added by default when you spec the heated screen.

I did order the parking heater, but the quick clear screens can be useful if there is slight misting on a cool morning where you wouldn't want full heat.

I am looking forward to being able to turn up the heat on a very cold winters day though.

The programmable parking heater with radio remote control is on the list of standard equipment for the Ocean, or has this been changed as well as the fitted blinds?

Personally I see no reason for the Heated Windscreen if you have a Diesel Parking Heater fitted. Heater on and in 10minutes vehicle warm and all windows ice free. Remote works from over 50m range.

I tried this last year and found that it took a lot longer than 10 mins. As the main outlet is facing backwards I found that the back of the van defrosted very fast, but it took longer to get the screen clear.

Maybe it was a very harsh frost.

It was nice getting into a warm van though.

Having had many Fords with heated screens I can vouch they are awesome. If it had been an option on the T5 I would have 100% taken it.

No, 10 minutes for me. Sad me timed it. But I did notice the ice seems less on the windscreen than tailgate. Van is parked facing house and just under a 60' fir tree so that may be the reason.:thumb

Having had many Fords with heated screens I can vouch they are awesome. If it had been an option on the T5 I would have 100% taken it.
I think they're great. It seemed silly not to have it. :thumb

Obviously, VW specifiy that you've got to have the "lights and vision package" as well when you select it as an option. (i.e. rain sensors and automatic headlights) - I thought that was a bit cheeky!

That depends of temperature outside. In very low freezing temperature you may have the heater on for an hour and windscreen still fully frozen.

My past experience of heated screens has been pretty good.

30s seconds of it on with a heavy frost and you're good to go. No scraping, no bleeding knuckles.

The person who thought of it needs a medal.

I've got a heated screen on a Landrover. Great for heavy frosts. Screen clears in seconds. Some people don't like the fine wires in the screen when driving at night because you can get a halo effect on oncoming lights. This hasn't bothered me though. I've included it in my order options.

T6.1 Option.
Why would you need to spec option NY4, Stronger AGM battery and increased alternator capacity ?

It is probably mandatory if you have a power sliding side door - loads of people run down their engine battery after a long weekend camping with a power door :)

That depends of temperature outside. In very low freezing temperature you may have the heater on for an hour and windscreen still fully frozen.
Worked OK at - 10c.

Back