Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using Ocean in winter

C

CazzaJ

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
I'm new to this forum as we're thinking of buying the Cali Ocean and I was looking for info on using it in the winter. One of my concerns is the water/ waste tanks aren't insulated and there's no option to have them insulated. I asked the dealer about it and he said as long as they're drained there won't be a problem and the heat from the exhaust will stop it freezing. But this only applies if the vehicle is moving and I'd like the option of using the van for a weekend skiing up north, when freezing temps could be a factor. Also wondering how cold the top bed will be for the kids in winter. I know you can get wrap around insulation, but dealer said to buy that separately (can't remember if that was cos VW didn't do it or cos it was better from elsewhere) so any advice on that would be appreciated as will want to factor that into our costings. Any advice on other considerations for using the van in winter would be appreciated or indeed anything we need to consider before buying a van in general.
Thanks

We use our SE 365 days a year and tend to keep tanks empty in the winter months filling bottle water for fresh and don't tend to put water down the sink, seems to work for us.

Stop listening at your " dealer" ! The exhaust is not preventing the watertank to freeze:headbang

If you leave the auxilairy heater on low setting your water wil probally not freeze as it sits within the heated body!
But as there's only 30 liter in it you do much better draining it and use a jerrycan.

Plenty info here on the forum by members using the Cali the year round and go skiing / camping in the Alpes .

Hi
I'm new to this forum as we're thinking of buying the Cali Ocean and I was looking for info on using it in the winter. One of my concerns is the water/ waste tanks aren't insulated and there's no option to have them insulated. I asked the dealer about it and he said as long as they're drained there won't be a problem and the heat from the exhaust will stop it freezing. But this only applies if the vehicle is moving and I'd like the option of using the van for a weekend skiing up north, when freezing temps could be a factor. Also wondering how cold the top bed will be for the kids in winter. I know you can get wrap around insulation, but dealer said to buy that separately (can't remember if that was cos VW didn't do it or cos it was better from elsewhere) so any advice on that would be appreciated as will want to factor that into our costings. Any advice on other considerations for using the van in winter would be appreciated or indeed anything we need to consider before buying a van in general.
Thanks
1. You'll need some form of Topper, either internal or external. See Forum sponsor Comfortz.
External keeps canvas dry, Internal fitted inside and can stay when roof down but doesn't keep the canvas dry. Insulated windscreen covers can also be used.
2. The Diesel Parking heater can be used 24/7 while parked up to keep the interior warm and cozy. Safe to leave unattended and on overnight. In fact upstairs might well be warmer than downstairs as heat rises.
3. Yes, the water tank is not insulated but has a large mass and if the interior temperature is above freezing then there will be no problem with the water freezing.

You must have ventilation though. 4 people sleeping produce a lot of water vapour and Carbon DIOXIDE. not dangerous but will leave you with a lot of condensation and a thick head, so don't seal the roof vents and even have the front windows open by 1 or 2 cms and just turn the heater up.

Our Cali came with the optional 'cozy country cottage with a nice log fire'. We tend to use that in winter.

Our Cali came with the optional 'cozy country cottage with a nice log fire'. We tend to use that in winter.
not forgetting the Cali chestnuts.

Roof cover, mini radiator and a decent sleeping bag in winter upstairs.

I answered this question in your other thread. Not sure how that happened, been a long day.

Back