Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories For Sale VAG-COM VCDS HEX+CAM Ross Tech Unlimited VIN for sale

Viktorgeorge

Viktorgeorge

Starlight Blue Ocean 4Mo MY2023 older bellows
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have a HEX+CAM VCDS for sale with unlimited VIN, i.e. works on all applicable cars (see below).

Before I post on EBay I thought I would offer here. You can check EBay for approximate value, any reasonable offer will be considered.

I bought this new in 2007 to tweak my then new Phaeton and since then have only used it a few times pre-service. Condition therefore is as new.

I was disappointed to discover it does not work with my new Ocean: see notes below from helpful dealer (Gendan.co.uk). From this understand that all VW California until fairly recently are compatible, though I am no expert.

VCDS from cute.jpg

Mike West of Gendan advises:

"The HEX-USB+CAN (HUC) interface was discontinued at the end of 2016, as in 2016 Audi unexpectedly started to introduce new systems in the A4 and Q7, that Ross-Tech were unable to support with the HUC hardware.

From then on, these new systems began rolling out in more and more models and systems as cars were updated.

Ross-Tech continued to support existing models as best they could with the HUC until the end of the 2018 model year, but any models built on entirely new platforms (such as the 2017-on VW Polo, and the 2017-on VW Crafter) were heavily reliant on these new systems.

To save confusion, Ross-Tech drew a line in the sand with the 2019 model year (on sale from mid-2018), and only cover 2019-on model year cars, (and any vehicle built on a new platform from 2017), with their new HEX-V2 and HEX-NET interfaces, which support the new systems.

Given their unlimited VIN coverage many enthusiasts working on older cars want unlimited VINs rather than coverage for brand new models."

First dibs please - depending on price, I cant see what you want for it?

A search on EBay with the text:

"Genuine Ross Tech Hex-USB+CAN unlimited VIN"

produces four for sale at £325 or best offer +£7.15 postage, £369 buy it now with free postage, £325 or best offer with free postage and £350 or best offer + £8.95 postage. If I was to sell via EBay auction I would have to pay pay £12.8% commission.

Frankly I am not sure what to ask, as you can see from the invoice in $ this was brought into the UK for me (by a friend and fellow Phaeton enthusiast) when these were cheaper bought that way from the USA.

Best offer over £250 with free tracked delivery perhaps? It is in as new condition.

Gendan suggested that I went to EBay for a valuation, the unlimited VIN apparently is the difference (as you point out), so I imagine the market will principally be to mechanics dealing with multiple older cars.

As I say, I will put this on EBay if no-one is interested here.

Gendan suggested that I went to EBay for a valuation, the unlimited VIN apparently is the difference (as you point out), so I imagine the market will principally be to mechanics dealing with multiple older cars.

As I say, I will put this on EBay if no-one is interested here.
some folks over on the T6 forum may be interested. I would check on there first.

Last edited:
Item now on EBay item number:

I have a HEX+CAM VCDS for sale with unlimited VIN, i.e. works on all applicable cars (see below).

Before I post on EBay I thought I would offer here. You can check EBay for approximate value, any reasonable offer will be considered.

I bought this new in 2007 to tweak my then new Phaeton and since then have only used it a few times pre-service. Condition therefore is as new.

I was disappointed to discover it does not work with my new Ocean: see notes below from helpful dealer (Gendan.co.uk). From this understand that all VW California until fairly recently are compatible, though I am no expert.

View attachment 104350

Mike West of Gendan advises:

"The HEX-USB+CAN (HUC) interface was discontinued at the end of 2016, as in 2016 Audi unexpectedly started to introduce new systems in the A4 and Q7, that Ross-Tech were unable to support with the HUC hardware.

From then on, these new systems began rolling out in more and more models and systems as cars were updated.

Ross-Tech continued to support existing models as best they could with the HUC until the end of the 2018 model year, but any models built on entirely new platforms (such as the 2017-on VW Polo, and the 2017-on VW Crafter) were heavily reliant on these new systems.

To save confusion, Ross-Tech drew a line in the sand with the 2019 model year (on sale from mid-2018), and only cover 2019-on model year cars, (and any vehicle built on a new platform from 2017), with their new HEX-V2 and HEX-NET interfaces, which support the new systems.

Given their unlimited VIN coverage many enthusiasts working on older cars want unlimited VINs rather than coverage for brand new models."
Hi

To save me repeating everything you’ve said I have an identical VCDS for sale with unlimited VINs.
Bought brand new direct from Ross tech. In immaculate condition only used on family cars.
Before I go the eBay route £200 will secure this invaluable bit of equipment and save you your money back in no time.

Ian

Hi

To save me repeating everything you’ve said I have an identical VCDS for sale with unlimited VINs.
Bought brand new direct from Ross tech. In immaculate condition only used on family cars.
Before I go the eBay route £200 will secure this invaluable bit of equipment and save you your money back in no time.

Ian
Mine sold quickly on EBay for £265 (£229 net of commission).

Mine sold quickly on EBay for £265 (£229 net of commission).
Hi Viktorgeorge thanks for coming back with that, maybe I’m underselling it. It’s just to allow me to get the Hex-Net around £450

Great piece of kit. Mine pays for itself anytime I need to change rear pads on the car with electronic handbrake. Doesn’t work well with my 2019 A6 but it works on the other family cars so I am keeping mine!

Hi - I'm shipping my T6.1 Ocean to South America in September

I'm not a great mechanic, so I always carry a good set of general and specialty tools - It's not hard to find talented mechanics on foreign continents, but they often don't have the correct tools. For example, even though I didn't know how to use most of the features on the Nanocom VCDS I had for my Defender, a WhatsApp call meant others could walk me through the steps needed.

So - What is the best VCDS to have along the trip to help keep the bus moving? Cost is less important than function, and needs to work in remote areas.

TIA

Hi - I'm shipping my T6.1 Ocean to South America in September

I'm not a great mechanic, so I always carry a good set of general and specialty tools - It's not hard to find talented mechanics on foreign continents, but they often don't have the correct tools. For example, even though I didn't know how to use most of the features on the Nanocom VCDS I had for my Defender, a WhatsApp call meant others could walk me through the steps needed.

So - What is the best VCDS to have along the trip to help keep the bus moving? Cost is less important than function, and needs to work in remote areas.

TIA

The solution above would be great, you only need to be online when you update the software, but it'll work without this.

Back