Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Van Envy!!

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Pitched up on Friday night feeling all smug about our van and how clean it was (4 hours hard labour with the Autoglym on Thursday!!) when my world was shattered by the arival of a Dutch T4 Westy TDI 150, fully blinged and looking like it just left the showroom.

Now I always thought we'd go straight to T5 from here but I'm having second thoughts.
We love the T4 and it's robustness. I think the T5 is a bit flimsy and has less character.

The main driver for a T5 is driving comfort and aircon. Everything else is identical in function.

I know it's been debated here already but I can't help thinking a late T4 TDI 150 with aircon will be a sensible p'chase. I know it's early T5 money but I like the T4.

Termoil !! :crazy

I have had a few T's over the years ,as i'm sure many others have ...i love them all for all different reasons whether it's a T2 for character looks and air-cooled sound or a T3 for affordable space and cheap to repair ..... The T4 i do love for it's robustness as has been said and overall in it's reliability and practicality ,but it does look very commercial in it's design ( as intended ) compared to earlier T's .... The T5 i know isn't built as well and needs more care ,but it is slightly less commercial looking outside and inside a little less van-like as well ,as i find the t4 dash harsh ... T5 still does the same job as the T4 with comfort, practicality and it's muli-function base ,but just moved the goal post on slightly ,as the T4 base was a good base to progress from .... :thumb

What's wrong with some 12v fans and taking ages to get up hills?

:D

dan
ps. Parked up next to a 150 with all the toys a couple of weeks ago, was slightly envious...

nowt wrong with a good ol t4 westfalia....club,exclusive, compact, generation...wunderbar!!

I do like a nicely converted T4 and a multivan ( James ) :) ....if I had to sell up the Cali to free up some cash then I may think about a T4 conversion

choplee said:
I do like a nicely converted T4 and a multivan ( James ) :) ....if I had to sell up the Cali to free up some cash then I may think about a T4 conversion

I'd buy a Talbot Motorhome - K Plate - with brown stripes.

T4 Multivan 2 - ultimate T4 - if i could get auto and 150. :)

James

My T4 Westie Cali Coach has air con. Wouldn't trade it for a T5. :mrgreen:

welshwestie said:
My T4 Westie Cali Coach has air con. Wouldn't trade it for a T5. :mrgreen:

Ooooo, that's fighting talk in these parts :lol:

S

After reading about all the problems with the T5 :sad think will stick with my T4 :D
Ron

The T4s are not without their own problems.

Just this very weekend it took me two matches to light one of my alcohol stoves.

dan

Easy Ron, I've been dying to jump on this particular soap box.........

I've no idea if the T4 Westy went through similar teathing problems? They do seem a touch more robust. Not long after we got ours I started ramping for a T5 but, having lived with it and looked at new ones etc, I'm not sure I would.
I think our next move will be a late T4 Turbo/face lift.

My gut feeling, a 20 yr old T5 is going to need a few expensive fixes.

For me, once installed on a site the T5 does nothing more than the T4. It's only the driving experience that would sell it to me.

There is no doubt the T4 Westy has to be the best value van out there at the moment. Prices are down on three years ago when I bought.

Both have their merits. For now I'm sticking. :thumb

S.

sidepod said:
My gut feeling, a 20 yr old T5 is going to need a few expensive fixes.

To be fair, my 22 year old T4 has required some expensive fixes.

I think you're right, but I think the repairs that the T5s will need as they age will be of a different nature - the sheer amount of electronics in them, in any modern car really, this is where I think where we'll be seeing the problems as they age.

I'm predicting aftermarket "handraulic" solutions for dead electric roof mechanisms.

Ultimately I suppose we'll all end up with one at some stage. Smile/Frown (Delete as appropriate).

S.