Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia T4 California sliding seat query

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
(Posted this on the VWt4 forum but hoping to get more info).

Well, Westy friends - I've been looking intently at T5 Beaches as per other posts but the budget needed and real worries about T5 fragility not to mention what seems to be the inevitable roof issue (I'm 33 pages into the 112 page 'roof corrosion' topic) is making me look again at the good old (mostly) reliable T4 Westy.

I may be going to view a very clean 2003 Westy Cali this week but the slidey seat of the VW T5 Cali/Beach is a deal breaker for us in terms of usage with kids and gear.

Regarding the slidey seat in the Westy T4, looking at the translated Westy pdf it appears you can only have the seat in one of three positions quite far back, around 1ft total movement and it must be fully back for transporting passengers.

2hrolk9.jpg

Is it true that the seatbelts will only reach as far as the forward most of these three positions?

But regardless it must be right back for travelling anyway?

Is there any specific reason for this?

Can you remove the rail 'stops' and slide the seat further forward for more boot space?

Any other info appreciated. :)

Mine's different to the pop top but I'm certain it can be pushed all the way forward - at least for removal and probably for a trip to the tip. For carrying passengers you MAY be more limited. I think it only locks I specific places (unlike the t5 which I think grabs at any point on the rail). From memory, the seat belts are mounted to the chassis / furniture rather than integrated into the seat, so flexibility may be limited.

If the Westy you are planning to see is the 150hp in Reading (light metallic blue) just go steady as there has been an allegation that it's a 'ringer' with incorrect chassis numbers and other worrying issues. Also that it has failed to sell in Poland for 12k euro. It may be perfect, but tread carefully and check everything.

Thanks for the warning but no not that one and not that cheap! ;)

Thanks for the seat info too.

The seat has three positions where it locks into place and the front one is quite far forward. You can also remove the seat really easily from the van, which I've done a few times myself.

The reason it needs to be locked in the rearmost position for driving, is that the seatbelts are bolted to the frame of the van and only work if the seat is in this position. However if you don't have passengers then you could lock the rear seat into either of the more forward positions.

Thanks Chris, can you explain a little more about why the belts do not work fully forward? I had read that they will stretch that far.

I'm sorry about my last post, after reading your reply I popped out to my van and checked and yes they do indeed work with the seats in all three positions. I'm not sure why I had it in my head that they wouldn't. With it fully forward there is a bit of room there in the "boot".

Ours was fine in all 3 positions.

Thanks guys, a cheeky request but can anyone measure the following for me if you her a chance?
With seat right back and then to compare right forward what is the measurement from:
1). Rear edge of floor to rear of rear seat (ie load length)? And width to LH wardrobe.
2). And front edge of rear seat to rear of cab floor.

Interesting to read similar thoughts on the apparant fragility and roof issues associated with the T5.

Our fingers are currently hovering over the T5/6 button but I'm starting to consider a late T4, 150, air con etc.
I just love the bomb proof feel of the T4.

Pod (in turmoil).

Ps. I can provide your dimensions. I'll try to empty the bus tonight. I parked her in the barn late last night after a "foot-to-the-floor" blast back from Souther France.

When you say right back, I take it you mean in the normal position, ie rear shelf in place and level with seat belts. Does it go back further for loading? Not sure.

When you say right back, I take it you mean in the normal position, ie rear shelf in place and level with seat belts. Does it go back further for loading? Not sure.

Hi, yes - back in normal rear position against rear (removable I think? shelf). Not sure if you remove the shelf (and any 'stops') if the seat will slide back further?

Re' the T5/T6 thing I was pretty set on getting a T5 Beach but for many reasons, a big one having spent many hours this last week reading through the 'roof corrosion topic (and I'm still only up to page 50 odd of 110+ pages) I will never buy one. The sheer amount of mechanical fragility issues reported puts me right off as much as VW's unbelievable attitude re' the roof to people who are willing to spend £50k. I'm genuinely flabbergasted how owners put up with it let alone order another!

BTW. there is a report on the main German forum roof topic of one of the display T6's at a recent show already exhibiting signs of the same roof corrosion cauliflowers?!!?

I am looking at a T4 Cali but at around £20k for a 12 year old camper it's still crazy money.

It's likely I think I will stick with our Land Rover 110 CSW and upgrade our BMW and hire a VW Cali for a family holiday this coming year. Just cannot justify the huge outlay for what is a second hand three year old posh van with seats at around £32k when for £25k I could get say a 1 year old approved used BMW 320D M Sport fully loaded with leather, 8 speed auto, 180 bhp, 0-60 7.5 sec, all the goodies and refinement and enjoyment of driving, and IME fantastic BMW back up and service, blah, blah.

Yours disillusioned with VW,

Max ;)

Max
Come back in another 5 years & you could part ex your now 6 year old BMW 320D worth £3-4K for the same 9 year old posh van still worth £27k that you could have bought this year !

I couldnt justify spending £25k on a secondhand repmobile that depreciated badly & had to be left at home when we went on holiday.

If you are only going to use a california once a year its pointless having it, bit like having a 4x4 with low ratio box & diff locks & not using it off road......

Back