Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Airbeam Driveaway Awning

Tangle Foot

Tangle Foot

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all.

We're contemplating one of these awnings when they come out in March. They are lightweight and have no poles. This was a big selling point as didn't want to park a Cali next to poles that could fly around in high winds (we do want to go to Scotland!) They also say it only takes 4 minutes to pitch. Just peg the 4 corners and inflate the 'Airbeams'

Worth a look.....

On a slightly different note, if anyone was after one of those Wacky Practicals kettles, Blacks have them on offer for £20 in Ventura Park Nr Tamworth. If you're passing of course!

That does look like a brilliant awning. The only thing that would worry me would be the sen in groundsheet - it may not be possible to use it at some sites (that require the groundsheet to be 'lifted' every day)

I am very, very happy with my Khyam Motordome classic but anything that makes the pitching and packing away quicker and easier suits me. This looks like a great awning to pack away in high winds as I guess you could just deflate it and then roll it up - over the xmas holidays when we packed away the Khyam, I was amazed that we managed to do it without turning it into a kite!

I'll be very interested to see how you get on.

That was the only downside we could see but from the point of view that if we used it on hard standing you may get a hole?

The Outwell Country road however, has a removable groundsheet but has poles!

The Kyham for us didn't have enough windows.... we like as many as poss for light.

Is there a perfect solution?? All seem to have different plus points!

Hmmn. I've just had a squiz at the websites. I am surprised that the Vango weighs so much more than the Khyam (OK, the weight of the Khyam includes the poles, the Vango a sewn in groundsheet) but 6kg more? Thats quite a bit - I am surprised it is that much heavier (the Vango is slightly larger though too...)

The packed size is interesting too. Sometimes if we go off camping without having booked a site and/or if we are staying somewhere enroute to another destination, we squeeze the Khyam into the space between the front seats and the bulkhead. The Vango packed is a little shorter but larger in diameter when packed.

I get the window thing! Yeah, would like more windows.

I also really like the idea of parking the van, pegging down the awning, firing off tiny 12v compressor and then sitting down with a beer as the awning springs to life.

...actually for total amusement value, you really want it to inflate itself from inside the van - a bit like the inflatable aeroplane escape slide....

Californiaman said:
Hmmn. I've just had a squiz at the websites. I am surprised that the Vango weighs so much more than the Khyam (OK, the weight of the Khyam includes the poles, the Vango a sewn in groundsheet) but 6kg more? Thats quite a bit - I am surprised it is that much heavier (the Vango is slightly larger though too...)

The packed size is interesting too. Sometimes if we go off camping without having booked a site and/or if we are staying somewhere enroute to another destination, we squeeze the Khyam into the space between the front seats and the bulkhead. The Vango packed is a little shorter but larger in diameter when packed.

I also really like the idea of parking the van, pegging down the awning, firing off tiny 12v compressor and then sitting down with a beer as the awning springs to life.

...actually for total amusement value, you really want it to inflate itself from inside the van - a bit like the inflatable aeroplane escape slide....

Know all about escape slides... I have to change them at work! They inflate bloomin quick. You could park and pitch in 20sec :lol:

How heavy is the Kyham? I though the Vango was about 20kg? Lighter than most....

Thanks for your replies.

Its a little under 14kg. That is probably without the 79 different tent pegs I carry (including some new and very, very good 8" rock pegs) and a nce 2.5lb lump hammer. :D

Californiaman said:

First you electrically lift the roof, then inflate the awning from inside the van. We need a third and final party trick... :mrgreen:

The party tricks are only just starting at this point; its when the beers get broken out.

Decided we ought to get an awning for our month in Spain and France (we have a 2 and a 4 year old). Now do we go for one of these or a Khyam? I have no idea at all!

We have a Cali awning.

Think we might need extra space to store clobber and/or eat in if it rains. Might be handy to have a bit of room to spare for sleeping too.

Needs to be dead easy to pitch, drive away compatible and weatherproof.

Any suggestions?

You won't be disappointed with the Khyam. When camping with friends we can happily get six in it for dinner and it has stood up to some 'weather' very well (seems a bit hairy inside in strong wind but if you look at it from outside, you realise it is perfectly fine).

If I were buying new now, I would try the Vango though!

Cheers! I'm leaning towards the smaller Kela Airbeam. Hmm...

Back