Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Kela Airbeam Awning Review

Bladerunner169

Bladerunner169

Hi

I bought a Vango Kela Airbeam awning as it seemed to fit the bill after reading reviews.

Not so, I'm not that impressed with it. It's fairly easy to put up after a few uses but some of the features are not what I would expect from a Vango product that wasn't exactly cheap.

The main door on the side opposite the van does not have a full length outer zip, the bottom is held closed (or not) by three velcro patches.

The inner fly screen has a full length zip that starts on the floor away from the upright part that you need to open to get in / out so you have to open the full zip. Not good when you're trying to keep midges out.

In fact none of the zips have double zippers which would enable you to position the openings exactly where you want them, a big omission in my opinion as most basic tents have this.

Vango recommends purchasing the optional "drive away kit" :? which I've yet to find on their website :?:

I've used it a few times and it inflates quickly and is quite sturdy, It's an ok awning but it could be so much better.

Hi,
I have just bought the same and agree the zips could be better, but apart from a faulty pump (Guage didn't work) they replaced in days no quibbles. I'm really pleased with mine and it is a lot lighter than most, very waterproof and sturdy, and very easy to put up and take down. I have a friend with an Outwell country road awning which was huge, heavy and not to so easy, so for me this is the best on the market.

Like you having viewed the video etc.. tried to order the drive away kit but they don't stock it. I ordered mine from Amazon for £20, it was good and worked, though there is a knack in getting the roll out awning position right to stop the sliding door fouling against the awning, I found winding it out approx 1 inch cured this.

Overall I'm very happy with mine, I find it a great accessory and useful for that extra space, especially having 2 dogs, they now sleep in a cage in the inner tent, so no muddy paws in the van. Hope you get used to it and grow to like it soon. :thumb

Just managed to pick up a used one (just 3 nights) on eBay. Very impressed with the quality, and with ease of erection :)
Can somebody please tell me if the additional footprint from Vango also covers the area nearest the van, as I am thinking of getting one.

Hi,

Yes the footprint covers all of the awning and comes up to within 6 inches of the van which was a pleasant surprise, first time was hard trying to gauge where it would come, but after the first time it is easy to pitch up and know exactly where to put it. :D :thumb

Footprint material is a bit cheap IMO. One of the corner tabs tore on first use.

Any chance of a link for that drive away kit as I can't find t on amazon?

Type in the following below in the amazon search box it's £21.99

Outdoor Revolution Standard Driveaway Awning Kit

Heard reporta about the material being weak, I think it's okay if you are careful, and even if it does tear, given what it does it should be fine, basically a ground sheet under the awning ground sheet.

Hope you find it okay :thumb

We used our awning for the first time at Beautiful Days last weekend. Overall I am happy with the awning, it's easy to put up and provides a lot of space. My main issue with the awning is the doors. Unless you have the fly screens zipped up the door frames have no rigidity. What you end up with only the door panel closed is a flap at the bottom and every time you undo the door, the bottom flaps in and all the rain runs into the tent. I'm currently drying ours out in the garden and there was a shower earlier. Even with the main front door closed there are only three crappy patches of Velcro to hold the bottom of the door closed. So rain ran off the door, the bottom of the groundsheet fell outside the bottom of the door and a puddle gathered inside the tent. The groundsheet areas below the doors should be higher and of a thicker material. I also don't like the additional groundsheet as water gathers on it underneath the awning groundsheet.

Vango should have made the fixed groundsheet on the awning a little more robust. Unless I have an older model and Vango have addressed this?

I've just returned from a 2 week road trip which was the first time I have used this properly as a drive away awning. I would agree the velcro isn't great, but I found that you just need to find the perfect set up, adjusting the straps and pegging closer to the ground stops all of these niggly things. The first pitch was on a slope and the water ran off the awning on to the groundsheet and straight under the awning, so now I fold any excess back under the air beam pole to secure it. We tend to use the rear access door mostly, and don't bother opening the front up, unless it's hot then we just roll up the front door and leave the fly sheet zipped up. I found it was just a matter of trying different things until you find what suits you best, but all in all it's light, easy to put up and down, easy to reconnect as a drive away and a good accessory for the Cali to store your stuff and make more room.:thumb

Back