Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED revised price?

Hi I have a T6.1 that was collected on the 2nd March with VED charged at £1800.
I have written to Swansea asking for advice as they are not taking calls during the lockdown. Have been told that you have to take the hit, seems so unfair. Will wait for a reply but not holding my breath !!!
Sadly I think you’re right.

I have written to Swansea asking for advice as they are not taking calls during the lockdown. Have been told that you have to take the hit, seems so unfair. Will wait for a reply but not holding my breath !!!
"Dear Sir, The Vehicle Excuse Duty is set by the UK Government. We have already taken your cash so please stop bothering us. Blah, blah, blah..."

Hi Alex
I also payed the large first registration fee
Pretty disappointed to be honest.
The money has gone now and I doubt I’ll ever see it again?
The only benefit is our vehicles will only be approximately £150 a year to tax after the first 4 years. (I don’t keep mine that long so the next owner will benefit not me...:(

I have looked into it an the decision to change to the new 270pa and remove the 40k penalty was made before the 2nd of March but didn’t come into place until the 12th so dvla knowingly took our money on the 2nd of March regardless
I wonder if this may help us in anyway get something back?

What made it even worse is we then went straight into lockdown so our van hasn’t moved it’s done under 500 miles
Had a lovely ride out in it today though it’s such a beautiful thing way to much tech to get used too

Hi Alex
I also payed the large first registration fee
Pretty disappointed to be honest.
The money has gone now and I doubt I’ll ever see it again?
The only benefit is our vehicles will only be approximately £150 a year to tax after the first 4 years. (I don’t keep mine that long so the next owner will benefit not me...:(

I have looked into it an the decision to change to the new 270pa and remove the 40k penalty was made before the 2nd of March but didn’t come into place until the 12th so dvla knowingly took our money on the 2nd of March regardless
I wonder if this may help us in anyway get something back?
Thank you all for your replies, I will keep digging and keep you posted if I get any reaction from the DVLA

There seems to be a lot of scope for complaint here. How can the same vehicle have the same road tax, but one also has an additional tax applied (the 5 year 'wealth' tax) that is more costly than the road tax and applies to a vehicle on which a much higher initial VED was charged anyway. Madness. I would guess that logically an argument could be made to remove the wealth tax component going forward. I guess a petition to Grant Shapps is in order!

There seems to be a lot of scope for complaint here. How can the same vehicle have the same road tax, but one also has an additional tax applied (the 5 year 'wealth' tax) that is more costly than the road tax and applies to a vehicle on which a much higher initial VED was charged anyway. Madness. I would guess that logically an argument could be made to remove the wealth tax component going forward. I guess a petition to Grant Shapps is in order!
I don’t wish to appear negative but I’ll bet there is ZERO chance of a refund in the current financial state. We’ll all be paying for this for years.

I suspect not as the Budget announcement was on 11th March and Budget changes tend to not be publicly disclosed until the announcement itself.

I am looking into this and the VED we were charged right now. As others have noted, this policy was announced/dated on 11th March and came into effect on 12th March. We registered, paid for and collected ours on 20th March therefore, we should have charged the lesser amount. I am guessing there has been some issue with communicating the matter down/across to dealers and our purchase date was literally one day before the country went into lockdown and most people rushing to close deals. I am taking it further with VWC Commercial Customer Service, in the hope that they can resolve somehow otherwise we will be significantly out of pocket, and incurring hefty addition in coming years. As i understand it, the Cali now falls into 'LGV'as against 'Diesel Car' in the Taxation Class listing. I am unsure whether category and type on the V5 are also changed. Does anyone know?

Getting VW to agree to some form of redress when it is their issue is hard enough. When it is a change in the UK Government's Budget, personally I would not even bother calling them - as galling as that might be.

Mine was registered on 20th March, incorrectly as a diesel car, and i have at last been able to get in touch with my dealer, who has been most excellent, i have to say, up to this point. But, we met with a sticking point, over this because he was absolutely sure that this policy change came into effect from 2nd April (when he tells me his dealership was advised by VW head office) and is reluctant to admit that a genuine mistake was made by his office when registering.

I have been in touch with DVLA this morning, who explained that i should get the dealership to write to me on headed paper, confirming that they have made this error when registering the vehicle. I can then take it up with the DVLA and pursue a refund and correction. I have agreed with dealer that I will wait for feedback from VW head office customer services on this as it seems he would like them to confirm policy implementation date as the 12th before he can consider a letter as asked for. I hate having to keep hassling him, but I think I would be nuts to let it go, and lose what amounts to 1800 if including the continuing tax hike.

Mine was registered on 20th March, incorrectly as a diesel car, and i have at last been able to get in touch with my dealer, who has been most excellent, i have to say, up to this point. But, we met with a sticking point, over this because he was absolutely sure that this policy change came into effect from 2nd April (when he tells me his dealership was advised by VW head office) and is reluctant to admit that a genuine mistake was made by his office when registering.

I have been in touch with DVLA this morning, who explained that i should get the dealership to write to me on headed paper, confirming that they have made this error when registering the vehicle. I can then take it up with the DVLA and pursue a refund and correction. I have agreed with dealer that I will wait for feedback from VW head office customer services on this as it seems he would like them to confirm policy implementation date as the 12th before he can consider a letter as asked for. I hate having to keep hassling him, but I think I would be nuts to let it go, and lose what amounts to 1800 if including the continuing tax hike.
How did you get intuch with dvla I called and it just goes to a Covid answer phone
Do you have the number you called

Great news hope you get this resolved as it's clearly wrong you paid the higher tax. We bought our Cali Sep 19 so sadly were stuck with the high tax banding.

How did you get intuch with dvla I called and it just goes to a Covid answer phone
Do you have the number you called
I clicked on the info re contact for covid workers.... (Steve is a nurse and he doesnt drive, so figured we could use the number) fyi tho, they do not even ask when you get through about status. I got through straight away at 8am. are you in the same situation with reg/tax?

Why do you think it is wrong to be registered as a diesel car? thats what VW have been registering them as for the last year, looks like you just happen to have one of the last registered as such.

Are you expecting to pay the new list price for the van as well, or just take the tax saving? Looking back through the price lists, the on the road figure taking account of the different tax went down at the same time as the basic van price went up with one part offsetting a large part of the other.

At the end of the day you have paid what you expected to pay when you signed up for the van.

They don't have the same road tax. One is £150 + 5 years of wealth tax, one is £270 & no wealth tax.

Californias have always been inconsistent tax wise, at one time Beaches used to be taxed as cars at £450/ year whilst SEs were treated as motor caravans at £225/ year. Then they were all Motor caravans for a year or two, then emissions testing was applied. A 2013 pre blue motion 4motion is £580 a year.

In 5 years time the £150 a year tax will be the Oceans that everyone wants!

I am still waiting for a reply from the DVLA but intend to continue my argument even if I get a negative response from them, it's worth a try !!!!
Yes in 5 years time could gain from the benefit, but it's just a matter of principle in being charged the higher rate pre the 10 day change, in March. I hope someone gets a result. As previously said I am not holding my breath !!!

After getting in touch with VW main customer service, I am still hoping to have this resolved and waiting to post when I do. So Cust.serv confirmed our 6.1 qualifies for the lower priced new classification to PLG (resulting in £1800 saving over 4 years) I spoke to them on Monday and they are liaising with dealer to ensure I receive a letter on headed paper from the dealer, confirming misclassification on March 20th, (which is what the DVLA have asked for)...

After involving the support of VW customer Services, I have now received a letter from my Dealer (on headed paper, addressed to DVLA) acknowledging that they did indeed make an error when registering my vehicle on March 20th. As per guidance from a DVLA phone call, I have sent this to the DVLA, together with my V5C and a covering letter from myself explaining the background. I found Qamer Malik, Customer Relations Manager at VW customer care to be most efficient. He was very supportive in liaising and following through with my dealer ensuring the realising of their letter enabling me to apply for VED class change to PLG. I do not expect a response for up to 2 months, but fingers crossed, the change can be made and refund of overpaid tax. At one point, I did feel that we had a white elephant sitting on the drive, but now, feel very happy as I will be taking her away for the first time tomorrow after three static months. yippee.

After involving the support of VW customer Services, I have now received a letter from my Dealer (on headed paper, addressed to DVLA) acknowledging that they did indeed make an error when registering my vehicle on March 20th. As per guidance from a DVLA phone call, I have sent this to the DVLA, together with my V5C and a covering letter from myself explaining the background. I found Qamer Malik, Customer Relations Manager at VW customer care to be most efficient. He was very supportive in liaising and following through with my dealer ensuring the realising of their letter enabling me to apply for VED class change to PLG. I do not expect a response for up to 2 months, but fingers crossed, the change can be made and refund of overpaid tax. At one point, I did feel that we had a white elephant sitting on the drive, but now, feel very happy as I will be taking her away for the first time tomorrow after three static months. yippee.
I need to go through the same process as you to get our 6.1 reclassified correctly. Have you had any update from the DVLA? Could I please ask for a copy of your letter, as opposed to the dealer's letter, that you sent to the DVLA? I am wondering how much detail I need to put in the letter. Thank you!

I need to go through the same process as you to get our 6.1 reclassified correctly. Have you had any update from the DVLA? Could I please ask for a copy of your letter, as opposed to the dealer's letter, that you sent to the DVLA? I am wondering how much detail I need to put in the letter. Thank you!
I will dig it out from files and get to you. I thought it best to provide the detail and circumstances/background. will pm if thats ok

I will dig it out from files and get to you. I thought it best to provide the detail and circumstances/background. will pm if thats ok
Most kind. I was just after the body of your letter rather than your address etc. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Back