Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Very Close to Ordering our First Cali Ocean...

RetroRed5

RetroRed5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Afternoon all,

We've always fancied the idea of owning our very own Cali and we are very close to ordering one (not quite there yet); we visited our local dealer last week just to have a good look around the Ocean to get a feel for what they are like in the flesh so to speak; the one they had in the showroom was the limited run "Edition" model which was very nice.

After our visit I spec'd up the Cali using the online configurator and sent the spec to the dealer so he could work out some numbers; I also asked the dealer a bunch of questions and so I thought it would be useful to get the Cali communities take on my questions so I can see how they compare to what the dealer told me. So here are the initial bunch of questions I asked the dealer...
  1. I like the idea of the Cali being a 4x4 (had several 4x4’s in the past and my wife car is a 4x4) but I’ve read a lot of forums on the Cali Owners club that say having a 4x4 Cali is a bit of a waste of money both in terms of the initial purchase price and the fact that some say it ruins the MPGs as well as increase the road tax; some people say it’s just not needed on this sort of car and so I wondered what your thoughts are on having the 4MOTION version vs just the standard front wheel drive version.
  2. Regarding the rear window privacy tints, a lot of people have said that the VW factory tints are just not dark enough to give decent privacy and so they’ve purchased the car without tints and had them done by the dealer (or organized by the dealer) once they’ve taken delivery; again, what are your thoughts on this and are aftermarket tints something you can organize at your dealership so that if I purchased via you, the car would have darker tints when I picked it up or would I need to arrange that after taking delivery?
  3. Regarding the Discover Media Plus SatNav package, I picked the top-end SatNav on the spec I wanted but my question is, is the Kenwood Satnav system that is shown in the Accessories catalogue better than the top-end VW satnav and as such is it better value? (considering its less expensive)
  4. Regarding the Dynamic Chassis Control, is the option that allows you to choose between “Comfort” and “Sport” mode for the suspension? And in reality, is this something that a Cali user would actually use? I have a tendency to like “options” and flexibility, hence I picked this but I’ve read a few forums suggesting that once fitted, it never actually gets used because it’s just left in comfort mode since sport mode is a little harsh plus for this sort of car, you are really looking for comfort over anything else.
  5. We are all aware of the VW emissions scandal from a year or two ago and that at the time the T6 diesels were unaffected, however, I am aware of the production issues VW had with the T6 late 2017/early 2018 related to some other emissions issue which led to a lot of customer orders being delayed; do you have any info on this particular emissions issue in terms of what the problem was (i.e. was it NOx) and have VW got the issue sorted now?
Anyway, aside from the above, I just joined the VWCC today and so thought I'd say "howdy" to all you Cali owners out there ;)

Cheers,

Red.

Afternoon all,

We've always fancied the idea of owning our very own Cali and we are very close to ordering one (not quite there yet); we visited our local dealer last week just to have a good look around the Ocean to get a feel for what they are like in the flesh so to speak; the one they had in the showroom was the limited run "Edition" model which was very nice.

After our visit I spec'd up the Cali using the online configurator and sent the spec to the dealer so he could work out some numbers; I also asked the dealer a bunch of questions and so I thought it would be useful to get the Cali communities take on my questions so I can see how they compare to what the dealer told me. So here are the initial bunch of questions I asked the dealer...
  1. I like the idea of the Cali being a 4x4 (had several 4x4’s in the past and my wife car is a 4x4) but I’ve read a lot of forums on the Cali Owners club that say having a 4x4 Cali is a bit of a waste of money both in terms of the initial purchase price and the fact that some say it ruins the MPGs as well as increase the road tax; some people say it’s just not needed on this sort of car and so I wondered what your thoughts are on having the 4MOTION version vs just the standard front wheel drive version.
  2. Regarding the rear window privacy tints, a lot of people have said that the VW factory tints are just not dark enough to give decent privacy and so they’ve purchased the car without tints and had them done by the dealer (or organized by the dealer) once they’ve taken delivery; again, what are your thoughts on this and are aftermarket tints something you can organize at your dealership so that if I purchased via you, the car would have darker tints when I picked it up or would I need to arrange that after taking delivery?
  3. Regarding the Discover Media Plus SatNav package, I picked the top-end SatNav on the spec I wanted but my question is, is the Kenwood Satnav system that is shown in the Accessories catalogue better than the top-end VW satnav and as such is it better value? (considering its less expensive)
  4. Regarding the Dynamic Chassis Control, is the option that allows you to choose between “Comfort” and “Sport” mode for the suspension? And in reality, is this something that a Cali user would actually use? I have a tendency to like “options” and flexibility, hence I picked this but I’ve read a few forums suggesting that once fitted, it never actually gets used because it’s just left in comfort mode since sport mode is a little harsh plus for this sort of car, you are really looking for comfort over anything else.
  5. We are all aware of the VW emissions scandal from a year or two ago and that at the time the T6 diesels were unaffected, however, I am aware of the production issues VW had with the T6 late 2017/early 2018 related to some other emissions issue which led to a lot of customer orders being delayed; do you have any info on this particular emissions issue in terms of what the problem was (i.e. was it NOx) and have VW got the issue sorted now?
Anyway, aside from the above, I just joined the VWCC today and so thought I'd say "howdy" to all you Cali owners out there ;)

Cheers,

Red.

Welcome RetroRed5

1.) I only have 2WD but I def see the pros for having 4x4. I do have 4x4 with Octavia.
2.) I made it afterwards: In my case it was anyway cheaper (bought the Cali 2nd hand)
3.) - ... I can not comment on that.

Cheers sapto

1. Mine's 2WD also. 4x4 would be nice, but I don't think I've had reason to say I need it, as yet (after 34,000 miles) so can't justify to extra costs.
2. Yes, the factory tint is quite light. However, with an aftermarket tint on standard non-tinted windows, there is more reflection from the double-glazed window. So, if ordering again, I would go factory tint and aftermarket tint on top. See example of reflection on rear windows:

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 15.53.32.png

Welcome.
1. I'm sure that the 4motion is very good if you need it to use it. I had it on our last Cali and never once had cause to use it or the dif lock in nearly two years. You'll get less mpg as well. There are also extra servicing costs involved later down the line.
2. IMO the factory tint option is fine. If you don't want people looking in then why not just pull the blinds.
3. I've found the top end Media Discovery Sat Nav just fine. I've no experience of the Kenwood system.
4. I've no experience of the Dynamic Chassis option. All I would say is that the Cali is basically a van with knobs on. The standard suspension can be harsh over rough surfaces but improves considerably when fully loaded. Test drive one with DCC and one without before you tick that box.
5. I don't know. All very confusing and not helped by the info from VW.

All this depends on your budget of course, if you're loaded and don't care about depreciation (ie spend £'sss on extras does not mean you get that much more come resale) then the choice has to be yours and go for it but my opinions for what it's worth:

1: Unless you *really* need 4x4 I would certainly not go down that road as it has all the disadvantages as listed.
2: Factory all the way - I would be put off a Cali without it/or with aftermarket film instead. You have the option of adding more film (and removing when selling) but you cannot put in factory tinted glass which IMHO is much more professional and desirable.
3: Only ever use iPhone based sat nav now which just gets better and better and more integrated every year whereas factory sat nav IME is clonky, shonky and out of date even when you get it - if there is an option for Car Play or whatever (ie to mirror phone screen) similar then I'd go for that.
4: On a sporty car maybe, on a converted van driven sedately I'd forget it.
5: Crystal balls time...

If you have not had a Cali before then make sure to try one for a weekend before diving in...

Thanks all for the input, very helpful. :thumb

Regarding the 4MOTION, I'm still on the fence on that one, I've been used to driving 4x4 cars and SUVs for a decade now and whilst wouldn't be off-roading in the Cali, there have certainly been occasions where having that extra traction has helped in the past but as with many folks who have a 4x4, 95% of the time 2WD will probably be enough.

For tints, I'm leaning toward factory and then might consider aftermarket film being added later; can always remove the film when I sell-on if needed; my thinking is not so much when we are in the Cali (as you say, use blinds for extra privacy) but more when it is left parked up to help prevent folks peering in looking at our stuff.

For SatNav, think I'll stay VW.

DCC is perhaps a bit of a gimmick I think, so I may give that one a miss; will research it a bit more.

I've driven many Shuttles and Caravelles (we've hired one for holidays every year for a long time) but I've never driven a Cali; I think I'll visit the local dealer again and see if they will let me test drive a couple and try out some of the options.

:thanks

In many circumstances tyre choice can be as important as having 4wd. I decided to take the 2wd option, but use a set of winter wheels with proper winter tyres when the temperature drops. At the very least it is is worth ticking the all weather tyre option rather than staying with the standard issue tyre, which isn't at its best when taken off tarmac onto grass etc.

Afternoon all,

Cheers,

Red.

I agree with Borris comments. I just want to add that instead of DCC I would go for Heavy duty roll bars. They improve handling a lot without any complexity and at a fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll look into the tyre options (although in the online config tool I did not see an option for all weather tyres, I just saw the narrow low rolling resistance options); same for heavy duty roll bars, didn't see them in the config tool, perhaps I just missed them. Will go back and check them out.

Great info, thanks.

I recently went from a T5 to a ex-demo T6 4Motion, it's got a lot of stuff spec'd I wouldn't have ordered myself but they came with the van, so why not.....

1. 4x4.....depends what you'll use it for. 4Motion certainly has it's benefits, but only in certain situations. I tend to use my van in muddy fields during winter (bike racing) so I feel like I'll use it this winter, BUT I didn't really get stuck last season in my old van, so I maybe fooling myself here. Have to say, fuel usage is worse than I expected, but I've heard that can change once a few mile are on the clock.
  2. It is quite light for a tint. I'm not that bothered though, don't care when driving it, and provides enough privacy when at a campsite.
  3. I have to say I've been quite impressed by the Discover Media Plus SatNav package. Always used Apple CarPlay before, but this is certainly good enough. However, it will go out of date within a couple of years, in which case I may start reverting back to my phone for Nav instead.
  4. The van came with Dynamic Chassis Control, which I thought I wouldn't use, but I have to say this is one of the main things I love more than anything else on the vehicle. You can really tell the difference between the modes....I use sport on some slip roads that have a curve, standard most of the time, and comfort for pot holes and bumpy camp sites. I wouldn't have paid for this before, but now I think I would.
  5. Not sure on emissions.

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the 4MOTION, as with my previous 4WD cars/SUVs, I'm of the opinion that it is true that you don't need 4WD most of the time (unless you go off road a lot) but the one time you find you do need it is the one time you will miss it if you don't have it if you see what I mean; i.e. that one time getting up a bit of an incline covered in snow or if you find yourself on grass that has turned to mush because of the rain. I agree with all the comments really regarding 4WD in that it is generally not needed for most situations but I'm leaning toward getting it for that one time when I will need it.

Built-in SatNav a few years ago played a poor 2nd place to things like TomTom but I've found with more modern cars the built-in SatNav systems are pretty good; as for being out of date, this is not really a problem so long as the maps come on an SD card because you can always update them if needed and some manufacturers update the firmware on the SatNav system each time you take the car in for a service if an update is available (my wife's Jeep Renegade was just serviced a couple of weeks ago and they upgraded the SatNav firmware while it was in the workshop); with that said, having never owned a VW I don't know if the same can be said for the SatNav in a Cali.

Interesting comments on DCC, you got me thinking now, hmmm ; I'm a bit of a little kid when it comes to options and gadgets on my motors so I'm leaning toward having this now.

I got an answer from the dealer regarding the emissions, basically the Cali was rated at a given g/km and the VED tax was set accordingly but further testing showed that the Cali is throwing out a bit more by way of g/km than it should be; at that point VW halted production while they looked into it; to "fix" the problem, rather than reducing the g/km, the cars were just reclassified from a VED perspective which pushed up the cost of the road tax.

I think I'm now almost at my final spec so thanks all for your input.

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the 4MOTION, as with my previous 4WD cars/SUVs, I'm of the opinion that it is true that you don't need 4WD most of the time (unless you go off road a lot) but the one time you find you do need it is the one time you will miss it if you don't have it if you see what I mean; i.e. that one time getting up a bit of an incline covered in snow or if you find yourself on grass that has turned to mush because of the rain. I agree with all the comments really regarding 4WD in that it is generally not needed for most situations but I'm leaning toward getting it for that one time when I will need it.

Built-in SatNav a few years ago played a poor 2nd place to things like TomTom but I've found with more modern cars the built-in SatNav systems are pretty good; as for being out of date, this is not really a problem so long as the maps come on an SD card because you can always update them if needed and some manufacturers update the firmware on the SatNav system each time you take the car in for a service if an update is available (my wife's Jeep Renegade was just serviced a couple of weeks ago and they upgraded the SatNav firmware while it was in the workshop); with that said, having never owned a VW I don't know if the same can be said for the SatNav in a Cali.

Interesting comments on DCC, you got me thinking now, hmmm ; I'm a bit of a little kid when it comes to options and gadgets on my motors so I'm leaning toward having this now.

I got an answer from the dealer regarding the emissions, basically the Cali was rated at a given g/km and the VED tax was set accordingly but further testing showed that the Cali is throwing out a bit more by way of g/km than it should be; at that point VW halted production while they looked into it; to "fix" the problem, rather than reducing the g/km, the cars were just reclassified from a VED perspective which pushed up the cost of the road tax.

I think I'm now almost at my final spec so thanks all for your input.

Agree on 4WD, had a Discovery for the last 8 years so know what you mean about appreciating it when you need it.

Just noticed that Pioneer have released two new units, both featuring wireless AirPlay / Android. I had the F88-DAB in my T5 and appreciated the apple support. Wireless version of CarPlay would be better, but a stock VW unit does look nice.

Shame you're up in Yorkshire, otherwise I'd say you could have a drive of mine to see if you liked DCC. Maybe ask around at a few dealers to see if they have one.

Think at the end of the day it comes down to budget. Spec'ing all the toys is nice, but they soon mount up and prices can get silly. As I said in my first post, I would pay full price for all the options that I have. Of all the really expensive options available, I think only LED lights are the only ones you'll regret not getting....all the others you'll learn to live without.

Ha, how awesome is that, offering a test drive to a stranger so he can see if an option is worth having or not; you Cali folks really are a friendly bunch :thumb If I wasn't in sunny Yorkshire I'd quite possibly take you up on that offer, cheers!

I'll check with my local dealer to see if they have one I can test drive that has DCC.

I'll check out the Pioneer units you mention for sure although I think I'm settled on the standard VW unit, it kind of looks like it belongs in the car whereas the Kenwood that is in the VW accessories catalogue looks a little wrong somehow; it has a sort of "bling" look to it if you know what I mean.

Regarding the LEDs, in my initial spec (I've been playing with the online configurator for ages) I wasn't going to include these but after watching a bunch of YouTube video's of Cali owners talking about their bundles of joy I decided they are a worthwhile option; I've watched a few folks talk about the non-LED lights not being very good and that they wished they'd added the LEDs.

I think I'll be sending my final spec over to the dealer tomorrow to see what sort of deal they can do for me.

Thanks again ;)

4Motion is used a lot more frequently than people think. As it is a constantly engaged system. Virtually impossible to get front wheel spin on the 4Motion when pulling away not so on the 2 WD. The 4Motion system just makes for a more planted driving experience especially in the more powerful engine versions, if the vehicle is driven with a certain amount of spirit.
Tyres are important on all vehicles but driving all 4 wheels does not have to be confined to grassy fields and off road. That is why there are many saloons with 4 wheel drive, none of which are designed for off-road use.
Yes, a 4Motion might be more expensive to own and run, and that is a legitimate reason for not buying one, but if that is not a concern then the better driving experience is 4Motion.

That is my personal experience and view.

Upgrade the stereo but only to the one that costs £100-200 extra and then add AppConnect.
The one that costs £1000 isn’t worth it.

Thanks all for the input, very helpful. :thumb

Regarding the 4MOTION, I'm still on the fence on that one, I've been used to driving 4x4 cars and SUVs for a decade now and whilst wouldn't be off-roading in the Cali, there have certainly been occasions where having that extra traction has helped in the past but as with many folks who have a 4x4, 95% of the time 2WD will probably be enough.

For tints, I'm leaning toward factory and then might consider aftermarket film being added later; can always remove the film when I sell-on if needed; my thinking is not so much when we are in the Cali (as you say, use blinds for extra privacy) but more when it is left parked up to help prevent folks peering in looking at our stuff.

For SatNav, think I'll stay VW.

DCC is perhaps a bit of a gimmick I think, so I may give that one a miss; will research it a bit more.

I've driven many Shuttles and Caravelles (we've hired one for holidays every year for a long time) but I've never driven a Cali; I think I'll visit the local dealer again and see if they will let me test drive a couple and try out some of the options.

4x4 weighs more, so the vans load capacity is slightly reduced, and you won't be able to have the 5th seat option, as a 4x4 van has only 2 seat rails.

Afternoon all,

Cheers,

Red.
Hi, welcome

1) I have 4M because I needed to have it to get up the gravel drive. front wheel builders front wheel drive vans needed a run from the main road through the gate to get up without lots of wheel spinning.
Disadvantage is loss of load weight carrying capacity, and obvious initial cost, I didn't bother with the diff lock as that's for serious 4x4 use only.
It prevents wheel spin on wet surfaces, roundabouts, junctions etc when trying to slot into small gaps in busy traffic.
In truth you never really know when it's working on road.
Fuel cost isn't that different on average annual mileages. I've had from 33 to 39mpg on tank fulls.
If ordering a replacement I'd still have it.
Ultimately do a personal pros and cons listing and make your own choice.

2) I found the factory tint unsuitable for privacy and keeping items out of easy view of passers bye.
I had ceramic solar thermal tint fitted to all windows except the windscreen where I had a shade band fitted. front door windows were very lightly tinted to keep legal.
Big reduction in sun ray heat penetration.
Don't worry about the different reflections due to the rear 3 windows being double glazed.
Done by an independent company not VW.

3) Can't advise on this as my view is that it's too expensive in comparison to my Tomtom with real time traffic, cameras and regular map updates, all currently free. Relatively cheap to upgrade as technology advances.

4)DCC uses electrically adjustable damper settings. If you were ever to replace them, out of warranty, it would be very costly.
If they were part of an active system which compensated for vehicle load and road surface conditions it would be cost effective but as a dumb option - overpriced.
To judge you would need to take a standard T6 around a B road route and then a DCC one for a comparison.

5)Regarding VW and emissions they never seem to get it sorted or quoted correctly.
My 204 was ordered with one figure quoted, V5 had a higher figure on it and now that figure has been increased again for new ones.

Thanks for your input; all very useful.

Regarding the 4MOTION, I've done the pro's and con's list and given I'm not overly fussed about a slight reduction in MPG then I'm going to include it.

I've put together my "proper" spec now and sent to the dealer who has come back to me with the numbers; I have to admit, the price does sting a little with all the options I've selected but hey-ho, you can't take it with you, right ;)

I've still got to test drive a couple (probably next week) before making the final decision but with the help and advice from you guys, all my q's have been answered.

Thanks for your input; all very useful.

Regarding the 4MOTION, I've done the pro's and con's list and given I'm not overly fussed about a slight reduction in MPG then I'm going to include it.

I've put together my "proper" spec now and sent to the dealer who has come back to me with the numbers; I have to admit, the price does sting a little with all the options I've selected but hey-ho, you can't take it with you, right ;)

I've still got to test drive a couple (probably next week) before making the final decision but with the help and advice from you guys, all my q's have been answered.

Obviously up to you, but would also suggest doing a quick check on nearly new vehicles. I saved 19% off list price by accepting a six month old vehicle with 2k miles. Ok, I ended up with some stuff I wouldn’t have chosen myself, so not sure how that can be considered a saving, but certainly ended up with ‘free’ toys for the same money I would’ve spent on a brand new one.

4WD loses the option to fit a 5th seat, which might be an issue. I was definitely going to use a 5th seat more than I would definitely use 4WD. Plus lower weight and better MPG.

It's fine on snowy inclines with winter tyres and on muddy campsites I bring it to rest on grip mats. They take no space and not only get you moving but stop the grass getting churned up.

I have considered an "almost new" model but after probably 5 months of looking around in all the usual places (AutoTrader, VW Main Dealers, Owners Club, eBay...etc) I've not yet seen one that matches the spec I'm wanting; I was willing to forgo some of the options I was after but the main options I've been looking for are...

204PS DSG
4MOTION
Candy White over Cherry Red
Electric sliding door
Reverse Camera

I've seen a few that have 2 or 3 of the above but never one with all of the above; I did look into the idea of fitting the camera after the fact and have the electric door retro fitted but decided against doing that because I wouldn't really want to spend so much on a Cali that immediately needs money spending on it; besides, I'm not keen on the idea of having someone start messing with the inner workings of the Cali.

So, I came to the conclusion a month or so ago that if I want to get one that is the spec I want then a brand new one is the only way; besides that, Cali residual values are amazing, far better than any other car I've owned and there is part of me that says it's not much of a leap to go from nearly new to brand new in terms of the initial outlay; the biggest irritation for me as it relates to buying new is the new (and in my opinion unfair) VED rates, not so much the actual cost but rather the principal of it but that's a whole other topic.

Having said that, a nearly new Cali could pop up that is the spec I want at any time, so until I sign on the dotted line then I guess I'm still open to the idea.

the price does sting a little with all the options I've selected but hey-ho, you can't take it with you, right ;)
It’s not true what they say about Yorkshire folk then? ;)

Regarding 4M, I’ve just changed from a 180 T5 4M SE to a T6 204 Ocean 2wd that was available in the showroom at a good discount. Had I ordered the vehicle I would have definitely opted for 4M again.

Do I miss it? Well, yes the van got slightly stuck once on wet grass where the front wheels had sunk in overnight; so now I park on wheel mats which had been stored away previously. And the 204 will definitely spin up the front wheels if you put your foot down in the lower gears. There is also a loss of confidence when you look at a muddy field!

One irritating aspect about the latest 4M, though, is the punitive first years and subsequent road tax costs. Had common sense prevailed I would have stuck with the 4M van I had, but my head was turned by the pretty duo tone Cali in the showroom!

Good luck with your new van, hope you don’t have to wait long; and welcome to the forum. :welcome

hehe, I'm sure some stuff said about Yorkshire folk is very true ;)

Like you, I think if I chose to not have 4WD then I'd forever regret it; plus every car I've had over the past 12 or so years has been 4WD, even my weekend "toy" is 4WD as is my wife's car so I think I'm pretty much settled now on 4MOTION.

Cheers!

One factor to consider, though, is the lost months you could have been using your van if you see one that’s close to your spec available now. Life is short! :thumb

That's a good point, one I'd not really thought about tbh.

I'll keep scouring the used market up until I sign the order sheet which could possibly be next week; visiting dealer next Tuesday or Thursday for a test drive of a 4MOTION model before making my final decision.

Back