Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

I can remember when living in France, driving through the Frejus tunnel when the Col Du Lauteret was closed due to inclement weather. Fond memories from a lifetime ago. Lovely part of the world to be in summer.
Wow that was a blast from the past - we sold that van as the kids go too big - and we needed the big setup all the time. The kids have now left home, so we are waiting for our new van - which we can run in small mode all the time :-D

Glorious evening on the Wirral. Yesterday there were seven VW Transporter conversions here, tonight just us and a small tent.
1e9cff84906debf3b95d039eb2c418e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We live on The Wirral although we are currently away. It’s become increasingly popular with the Van community the last couple of years. If you need any info on the area, please ask.
Glorious evening on the Wirral. Yesterday there were seven VW Transporter conversions here, tonight just us and a small tent.

becomin

We live on The Wirral although we are currently away. It’s become increasingly popular with the Van community the last couple of years. If you need any info on the area, please ask.

becomin

That’s very kind. We plan to be back up next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Echternacherbruck campsite in Germany, just over the border from Luxembourg (in fact the river is the border so you can see both countries in picture) on Saturday night

Absolutely boiling but the kids loved spending the evening playing in the river and upstairs in van was cool at night!

20230624_144133.jpg

Great Pic.
What’s the rocket launcher tube on the NearSide for ?

Great Pic.
What’s the rocket launcher tube on the NearSide for ?

The rocket launcher is for Middle Lane Hogs….

Actually it’s a shower/privacy room. They are designed primarily for over landing and mount to a roof rack but I managed to install it on the awning rail. Works great for changing at the beach, showering or as a toilet tent when off grid.

Where did you get it from? I've looked at them before but had forgotten about them.
I think they're a good thing to have rather than a popup. Does require much to make it fit?

Can I add a question: i see you have lifted you van and put bigger tyres on. Can i ask you what size tyres you got. Lots of people seem to get 245/65/17, but it just sounds a bit too big too me, and you can't then get the spare under the van, so i was thinking of 225/65/17 as it isn't much bigger than standard. Any suggestions? Cheers!

Where did you get it from? I've looked at them before but had forgotten about them.
I think they're a good thing to have rather than a popup. Does require much to make it fit?

I got this one from Direct4x4 for £220 but I’ve seen them for similar price with a roof and built in LED light. They deploy in seconds and same for pack away. I bought some barricade brackets from Amazon and mounted using square head M6 bolts which fit in the awning rail perfectly.

2x4 (1.5x3.5 inch) Door Barricade... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DHQJD1Z/?tag=eliteelect-21

Can I add a question: i see you have lifted you van and put bigger tyres on. Can i ask you what size tyres you got. Lots of people seem to get 245/65/17, but it just sounds a bit too big too me, and you can't then get the spare under the van, so i was thinking of 225/65/17 as it isn't much bigger than standard. Any suggestions? Cheers!

I have 255/55 R18 K02’s. I don’t carry a spare as it doesn’t fit and would impact ground clearance effectively negating some of the benefit of the lift. I do carry a good 12v compressor and a tyre repair kit. The K02’s are very burly (with a resulting impact on ride comfort!) and I’ve yet to puncture one

I’m planning a trip to Iceland next year, for that I would probably look to mount a spare on the tailgate which will require upgraded gas struts. I think preparing the van for such a trip will cost more than getting there!

Last edited:
I got this one from Direct4x4 for £220 but I’ve seen them for similar price with a roof and built in LED light. They deploy in seconds and same for pack away. I bought some barricade brackets from Amazon and mounted using square head M6 bolts which fit in the awning rail perfectly.

2x4 (1.5x3.5 inch) Door Barricade... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DHQJD1Z/?tag=eliteelect-21

That’s awesome. Love it.
Just had the brackets for £14. ! 50% voucher on Amazon.
Already got the 19mm square headed M8 bolts. And nylock nuts.
Really like that idea of something quick to deploy.
But, The middle / outside lane remover would be even better :D

9cb6dd16-f37a-4cac-aa77-599fc8c54012.jpeg
These are the size of tyres I have on.
The comforser GF1100 are a great tyre. Not as noisy as the BFG AT tyres
225/65/17

Last edited:
View attachment 110344
Let me find the size of tyres I have on.

Like the look of those, will be an option for when the BFG’s eventually wear out! TBH I don’t find the KS02’s that noisy but they certainly make the ride harsher. I was thinking of getting a lower load rating next time but would be interested to hear you views on the ride on your GF1100’s?

Like the look of those, will be an option for when the BFG’s eventually wear out! TBH I don’t find the KS02’s that noisy but they certainly make the ride harsher. I was thinking of getting a lower load rating next time but would be interested to hear you views on the ride on your GF1100’s?

First impressions driving back from Wheel Worx in Mansfield were they are nosier than the Bridgestones (which will be sold and Winter Michelins put on the palmestones) but 50% quieter than the BFG’s. They were harsh!
But after driving locally, they have blended in a bit more and really happy with comfort, stopping in the wet and dry no problem.
Yes they are 102T so within specification of load rating. Speed, I’m never going over 77 in a brick shaped 3 tonne vehicle any how.
So thumbs all round from me.
Got a great tread pattern. and chunky for any kerb climbing, wet grass, and boggy ground should be right on. Also much less change of puncture as it’s an AT tyre.
I think £109 each from Asda.
They use them all over the world. Made in China, but have 10 years manufacturing.
Used a lot in Canada apparently.

First impressions driving back from Wheel Worx in Mansfield were they are nosier than the Bridgestones (which will be sold and Winter Michelins put on the palmestones) but 50% quieter than the BFG’s. They were harsh!
But after driving locally, they have blended in a bit more and really happy with comfort, stopping in the wet and dry no problem.
Yes they are 102T so within specification of load rating. Speed, I’m never going over 77 in a brick shaped 3 tonne vehicle any how.
So thumbs all round from me.
Got a great tread pattern. and chunky for any kerb climbing, wet grass, and boggy ground should be right on. Also much less change of puncture as it’s an AT tyre.
I think £109 each from Asda.
They use them all over the world. Made in China, but have 10 years manufacturing.
Used a lot in Canada apparently.

Cheers, sadly they don’t seem to make a 55/18 in any width so the search will continue when the time comes to retire the BFG’s.

Cheers, sadly they don’t seem to make a 55/18 in any width so the search will continue when the time comes to retire the BFG’s.

Splash out on some 17” Tomahawk Kato’s. !

These are the size of tyres I have on.
225/65/17

Apart from them being marginal on the load rating (less than the rating listed by VW) & seriously under on the speed rating, what's not to like? I do hope you've got it in writing that you are still covered in the event of an accident.

If you keep the van long enough to get to its first MoT you will need to have changed them by then as an insufficient speed rating is an MoT failure.

Would love to hear more about your trip / stay - route, places to stay , sights ....
We took the route via the Mount Bloc tunnel as we find this a nicer route, we only stopped twice as we was up against time due to catching the ferry, we stayed a night in France near Neydens which Is a very nice (large) site then onto Italy where we stayed at a super pretty site 8 pitches, large clean showers home made wine in the Italian hills (great find) in Cesena, then onto Bari as Ancona’s camping deck was full!.
The two sites we stayed was, camping-la-Colombiere.com and the one Italy is agriturismolastadera.it.
We‘d love to have stayed longer at both as they was in very pretty areas. Drive to Astakos was excellent lots of beautiful bays to wild camp.