Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

First time using an awning. Cant recommend a awning enough. The extra space (especially in the rain and wind) makes a massive difference to the quality of your holiday.
View attachment 44125
However, after using this a few times, I sold it as I ended up hating the bloody thing (packing it away in the rain and wind one weekend killed it for me). I bought a campervan to leave camping well and truly behind me. We have now gone back to basics, take minimal things and invented our own 5 system set up. Drive up, pop up the top, wind out awning out, picnic blanket out & get wine out the fridge. Done! Holiday over, wine bottle* in bin, Pop top down, wind in awning, fold up picnic blanket, drive off! Done. =stress free and quick holidays :thumb

*I say bottle but I really mean bottles :)

However, after using this a few times, I sold it as I ended up hating the bloody thing (packing it away in the rain and wind one weekend killed it for me). I bought a campervan to leave camping well and truly behind me. We have now gone back to basics, take minimal things and invented our own 5 system set up. Drive up, pop up the top, wind out awning out, picnic blanket out & get wine out the fridge. Done! Holiday over, wine bottle* in bin, Pop top down, wind in awning, fold up picnic blanket, drive off! Done. =stress free and quick holidays :thumb

Same here:
We do have some side panels but only used them once or twice. So an extra tent is not our way we want to go. However maybe a front panel is on our list or not. Time (money) will tell if we really need one.

Same here. No way want to be stuffing soggy nylon into a bag, don't even take the roof topper these days, any time of year. Corkscrew and a nice view are the only truly essential Cali accessories.

Any luck. My kids are now hell bent on going this year with their fishing roads and crab lines to find Nessie hahahaha. Any recommendations for a nice campsite near there?
Spent 3 days at Loch Ness Shores camping and caravan club site for the New Year Mark, £30odd quid a night, you are right on the shore like it says on the tin

F9AC6700-5357-4027-A401-9BA63E4459AC.jpeg

We are on our 4th awning and find them indispensable.

#1 Comfortz awning room
#2 Vango Kela III
#3 Thule residence
#4 Vango Hexaway

We don’t bother for an overnight stop. We usually use the residence for a weekend and the Hexaway for longer stays.

Packing up in the wet is a pretty revolting experience but four people plus dog confined to a 3.5m x 1.5m space plus 2.0m x 1.2m mezzanine over a wet weekend is considerably worse.

A cloudy and merky evening last night at Sykeside / Brothers water in Lake District. A brighter morning that also brought more vans.
c734af7567c400e87aedba96b7e00cf3.jpg
f9c69fc25049b62f8141aff4cdb685d6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Any luck. My kids are now hell bent on going this year with their fishing roads and crab lines to find Nessie hahahaha. Any recommendations for a nice campsite near there?
Stayed at the Caravan at Motorhome site at Culloden Moor in October. It's pretty standard, nothing special but is handy for the Culloden Battlefield site which is well worth a visit if you are up that direction.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Couldn't have said it better, never understood awnings. I bought a camper for minimum fuss and freedom.

Yep, same here.
Awnings, aka a tent.
I even got rid of the roll out awning. In case of need, a tarp threaded through the awning railing. Usually not even that, only if the weather makes cooking dinner difficult. We are never at the van during the day.

Last edited:
I even got rid of the roll out awning. In case if need, a tarp threaded through the awning railing, but usually not even that, but only if the weather makes cooking dinner difficult. We are never at the van during the day.
We often use the roll out awning. Being 4 persons in the car is too much logistics, so we spend most of the time outside cooking and hanging around. So when it is raining or 40 degrees out, we need the cover.