Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Could I ask where in the Wye Valley as looks wonderful?
It was fabulous, it is the first time I have paid to camp overnight in 2 years of living in my van. I stumbled across it by chance while out walking through a forest I saw it in the far distance from a rock high up. I was there completely alone, the warden gave me the gate code and left at night. It’s on the banks of the Wye and there is no phone signal or wifi. Hot showers though.
It’s called Biblins youth camp and is not normally open to the public, only youth groups, but they have an exception this year only with very Limited capacity due to Covid. Don’t put it on Park 4 Night!

It was fabulous, it is the first time I have paid to camp overnight in 2 years of living in my van. I stumbled across it by chance while out walking through a forest I saw it in the far distance from a rock high up. I was there completely alone, the warden gave me the gate code and left at night. It’s on the banks of the Wye and there is no phone signal or wifi. Hot showers though.
It’s called Biblins youth camp and is not normally open to the public, only youth groups, but they have an exception this year only with very Limited capacity due to Covid. Don’t put it on Park 4 Night!
It looks divine just my kind of place so will take a look thank you for sharing & no wont share on there!

park4 nite often spells the end for many places

park4 nite often spells the end for many places
It’s a real problem. If you look at spots in the Forest of Dean on P4N, which nobody minded us parking in before, they now have proper signs up with the actual bylaws on them. It’s happening everywhere.

It’s a real problem. If you look at spots in the Forest of Dean on P4N, which nobody minded us parking in before, they now have proper signs up with the actual bylaws on them. It’s happening everywhere.
yes same here in the highlands, more likely fences, boulders etc.
People seem to have lost the ability to look for themselves on maps and blindly go to the same places on the app.
Is it an sat nav / internet thing ?
I am an old, from the time before mobile phones never mind internet, it was get the map / guidebooks out and gather info from people who had been climbing or walking there.

yes same here in the highlands, more likely fences, boulders etc.
People seem to have lost the ability to look for themselves on maps and blindly go to the same places on the app.
Is it an sat nav / internet thing ?
I am an old, from the time before mobile phones never mind internet, it was get the map / guidebooks out and gather info from people who had been climbing or walking there.
A big part of the problem is that are limited suitable spots, and nearly all of them that are good are already on P4N. It’s getting harder to find places that are not in the App.

General lack of infrastructure for tourism, slowly happening now. Locally theres work in Glen Nevis building toilets etc and Forestry and land Scotland having the “ stay for the night” scheme, very good till the midge come out ! Reminds me to sort out the midge net retrofit on the vw window fly inserts !

Recommend a visit to the Purton Hulks and then onto lunch at the Sharpness Dockers' Club. Check that the Club is open (web site or phone) and serving food - expect it is. If they are doing Roast Lunch then it is a must. Fantastic roast, including veggie, then apple crumble and custard to die for - £10! Enjoy!
Second that re the Purton Hulks - amazing place we stumbled upon by accident

Hello,

The last 2x years the sale of camper vans, motorhomes and caravans increased dramatically. Obviously those vehicles will be used and need to be parked somewhere. That has, and will even more in the future, put pressure on the great outdoors. Be that camping sites, aires or nature places.

With increase of people in one place problems will start, that is unfortenately, a fact. Especially nature places will suffer more.

That will raise the resistants and interest of local people and local councils which results in restrictions or even total closing of those plasces either to protect the environment or people living there. For instance see Portugal or Scandinavia.

The industry was glad to sell into the market thousends of recreational vehicles, but now it is time to invest into infrastructure to meet the demand.

We all want to be in wonderful nature places, alone and quite, away from all. Will we be able to do that in the future? I believe today they will inform us how the restictions will open up in Ireland. If we are only allowed to travel in Ireland in 2021 I am sure all places be it hotels, B&Bs, camp sites and "wild" nature places will be full. Everybody is urging to get out. I can't even imagine how the Wild Atlantic Way will be.

What is the solution? I don't know. I thought it is normal that people behave and respect the places they visit, but we all know that is not the case. Do we need more camp sites, yes I believe so. Do we need more control aires or nature ares (car parks), yes I believe so too (I know many people will be fearsly against that). But I strongly believe people behave if they know that there is kind of a control and that they are not anonym anymore.

2019 we did a wonderful trip through Europe which was exactly as people expect travel with a camper van, free and spontanious. Even if we are allowed to travel in 2021 I am not sure I am looking forward to summer 2021. Let's see how it goes.

Happy traveling California,
Eberhard

PS
Sorry, that all sounded a bit pesimistic.

If going to view the Hulks, continue walking towards Sharpness following the canal. Great views across the Severn, look at the remains of the original Severn crossing and if the tide is out one can see the wrecks of the Wastdale and Arkendale that collided in fog in the 1960s whilst carrying fuel up river then collided with the bridge causing one span to collapse rupturing a gas main causing an explosion - five died. Continue to the SARA station at the old Sharpness lock and if the tide is running marvel at the speed of the water - in or out. Lunch at the Dockers' Club and return. We love it, the river is always different. Additionally, if you have time drive round to Lydney Harbour on the other side. Move a bit further up stream, park and walk down through the fields across the railway line (there is a telephone to call the local signal box to ensure the line is clear) then through the woods to find the remains of the other end of the bridge.

There are some serious parking/resident issues with parking at Purton to visit the Hulks.

The parish council are recommending parking at the Sharpness Dockworkers Club and walking past the historic dock and up the towpath to the Hulks.
The Dockers club has facilities and a huge grass area for parking.
Also, the Sharpness docks itself is interesting and has a great viewport of the Severn Estuary.

1619693227186.png

There are some serious parking/resident issues with parking at Purton to visit the Hulks.

The parish council are recommending parking at the Sharpness Dockworkers Club and walking past the historic dock and up the towpath to the Hulks.
The Dockers club has facilities and a huge grass area for parking.
Also, the Sharpness docks itself is interesting and has a great viewport of the Severn Estuary.

View attachment 77612
Agree, there is parking by the swing bridge in Purton but not a great amount. Walking from the Dockers' Club makes sense. There is a view point come picnic area overlooking the entrance to the Sharpness docks. Check on shipping movements and watch a ship enter or leave the harbour entrance.

Winchelsea Beach yesterday. lots of space.
vw.JPG