Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack capacity

robertpr

robertpr

New but committed
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,
I think I read somewhere that the bike rack max load is 60kg. That doesn't seem enough for 4 bikes. Anyone have experience on this? Am I worrying unnecessarily? REALLY need it to take 4!
Thanks

We regularly carry 4 bikes... 3 full sized adult bikes and one slightly smaller child's.

All mountain bikes, not expensive... so not lightweights.

We've done it for over 6 years...no problems.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Mark

60kgs
Saw a bike rack with two mountain bikes still fitted sitting in the outside lane of the M6 with a T5 campervan on the hard shoulder with police in attendance only last week. Overload at your peril.

Just looked up the weights of the bikes... the adults are 11.7Kgs.... so lighter than expected. (A 15Kg bike must be pretty hefty since mine are nothing special)

So, plenty of weight capacity... So with the 4 bikes looks like I've got nearly 10 Kgs to spare..! Wonder what else I can get on there...

we regularly carried 3 bikes, a double trailer and even a pushchair too. no probs - though strenuous to open the boot

60kgs
Saw a bike rack with two mountain bikes still fitted sitting in the outside lane of the M6 with a T5 campervan on the hard shoulder with police in attendance only last week. Overload at your peril.

Are you sure he was pulled over for overloading?o_O

Are you sure he was pulled over for overloading?o_O

Think 18Hunts was suggesting the bike rack had fallen off in the fast lane...

Poor fitting rather than overloading with only two bikes... also wonder what sort of bike rack it was..?

Hi Andy, interested to hear how you get on fitting the rack. Mines still in the garage, I haven't needed it yet. Hoping it fits easily without damaging paintwork...

Hi Andy, interested to hear how you get on fitting the rack. Mines still in the garage, I haven't needed it yet. Hoping it fits easily without damaging paintwork...

Hi, mine was fitted by VW but I happened to have the manual.

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He wasn't pulled over for overloading, his back rack with bikes were sitting in the fast/overtaking lane of the M6 having departed the T5 camper. He was on the hard shoulder.

He wasn't pulled over for overloading, his back rack with bikes were sitting in the fast/overtaking lane of the M6 having departed the T5 camper. He was on the hard shoulder.

Now that is bad!!

Racing T ---if you have a proper VW 4 bike rack and are worried about your paintwork ( as I was )
I found that if you cut up and old bike inner tube into strips and put them between the paintwork and top and bottom mountings, it gives a little bit of extra protection.
It is also a lot easier with 2 people ( although it can be done alone... with care.).
It is a great piece of kit though and IMHO ...very well designed.

We have had 4 adults bikes no problem. Bit of a fiddle with peddles and handlebars, but it works. I must admit it does seem about as much weight as you'd want to put on it. Hell of an issue trying to open the tail gate with that much weight on it. Don't do what I did and try and open the tail gate with a bike on the rack and the roof up!!! One bent roof!! Best not to try and open the tail gate at all with bikes on it full stop.IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0089.jpg