Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack weigh limits?

dayslikethis

dayslikethis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Apologies but I've searched the forum and am trying to find the full spec on the T5 bike rack which we have. Does anyone have a link to the full spec as I need to know the weight it will carry as we are about to load it with 2 electric bikes which are heavy - about 25kg each (22kg less batteries). I seem to recall the weight capacity is around 60kg but I'd like to see this on a manufacturers site? Many thanks for any info.

Apologies but I've searched the forum and am trying to find the full spec on the T5 bike rack which we have. Does anyone have a link to the full spec as I need to know the weight it will carry as we are about to load it with 2 electric bikes which are heavy - about 25kg each (22kg less batteries). I seem to recall the weight capacity is around 60kg but I'd like to see this on a manufacturers site? Many thanks for any info.
Not sure if the T5 rack specification is the same as the T6 but I have just had the T6 fitted and the specification is as follows:

Weight of rear bicycle rack 14.6 kg
+ weight of rear bicycles max 60 kg
= load to be transported 74.6 kg

Weard thing is that it then says only bicycles with an individual maximum weight of 17kg may be transported on the bicycle carrier. I'm not sure why this is. I assume that a weight of more than 17 kg could damage the rack as clearly 1 bike on the rack weighing 20 kg could not damage the rear of the van if the maximum is 60kg.
I have just bought 2 electric bikes Cube race (which are fantastic) thankfully with the battery removed they have an individual weight of just 17kg.

Not sure if this helps or not but I am thinking the T5 rack will have the same spec as the T6.

Not sure if the T5 rack specification is the same as the T6 but I have just had the T6 fitted and the specification is as follows:

Weight of rear bicycle rack 14.6 kg
+ weight of rear bicycles max 60 kg
= load to be transported 74.6 kg

Weard thing is that it then says only bicycles with an individual maximum weight of 17kg may be transported on the bicycle carrier. I'm not sure why this is. I assume that a weight of more than 17 kg could damage the rack as clearly 1 bike on the rack weighing 20 kg could not damage the rear of the van if the maximum is 60kg.
I have just bought 2 electric bikes Cube race (which are fantastic) thankfully with the battery removed they have an individual weight of just 17kg.

Not sure if this helps or not but I am thinking the T5 rack will have the same spec as the T6.

I think that makes sense. The Rack onto the vehicle/ Rear door can carry 60 Kgm + weight of Rack.

However, the tray supporting bicycle on the Rack can only carry 17 Kgms / Tray.

That new ugly T6 one is 70kg.

The bike rack will easily carry your two bikes. That's all that matters in the real world.

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on this (ie max weight limit per individual rack)? Is it 17kg for the T5 rack?
I have emailed VW CS asking for a specification…….wish me luck!

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on this (ie max weight limit per individual rack)? Is it 17kg for the T5 rack?
I have emailed VW CS asking for a specification…….wish me luck!
@veg_frenzy I’m interested in your bike rack but can’t seem to PM you