Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California 2013 CLUTCH - No pedal ?

Clutch slave cylinder will have failed, you may see a drop in the brake fluid reservoir as they share the same fluid. Sub frame off and gearbox out job I’m afraid. May as well fit a new clutch and check condition of the DMF whilst it’s being done. A fairly common problem.
@Ian Reynolds exactly this unfortunately. Mine went last year (2012 Cali) in exactly the same way. I had dmf and clutch all done the same time as slave cylinder, £1200. Had to wait a week or so to get it in to be done tho.

@Ian Reynolds exactly this unfortunately. Mine went last year (2012 Cali) in exactly the same way. I had dmf and clutch all done the same time as slave cylinder, £1200. Had to wait a week or so to get it in to be done tho.
OK thanks for the info, mines a 2012 California too. It gets used but only done 45k miles, we even went to the south coast in it yesterday, no sign of any issue. Went to move it on the drive tonight, and bang, straight to the floor.
No idea how to even begin to get it to the garage to get it fixed?!!?

If its a manual box it is possible to drive with no clutch but it's tricky. Go into first before you start up . Start the van when your ready to drive and give it some revs. Go fairly high up the revs and let the power drop. At this time attempt 2nd. When the road wheels and revs match it will slot in. Going up the gears is easier than going down. Go steady and pick a time when traffic will be light. Maybe night time.
It's probably best to practise this on some one else's van. I used to do it with work vans

If its a manual box it is possible to drive with no clutch but it's tricky. Go into first before you start up . Start the van when your ready to drive and give it some revs. Go fairly high up the revs and let the power drop. At this time attempt 2nd. When the road wheels and revs match it will slot in. Going up the gears is easier than going down. Go steady and pick a time when traffic will be light. Maybe night time.
It's probably best to practise this on some one else's van. I used to do it with work vans
Ha ha! Can visualise that so well ... Have done that with a Leyland bus ... Sitting here grinning ear to ear remembering those fun days.

Needs some coordination though ...

Ha ha! Can visualise that so well ... Have done that with a Leyland bus ... Sitting here grinning ear to ear remembering those fun days.

Needs some coordination though ...
Yed mate. Its a good skill to have

OK thanks for the info, mines a 2012 California too. It gets used but only done 45k miles, we even went to the south coast in it yesterday, no sign of any issue. Went to move it on the drive tonight, and bang, straight to the floor.
No idea how to even begin to get it to the garage to get it fixed?!!?
If it is only a small fluid leak from the cylinder seals you might be able to bleed it up for long enough to last a journey. (Assuming it can be bled from outside the gearbox). To see if this might work, you could try "pumping" the clutch.
So if you get down with your hand and pull it all the way back up then down to floor and back up. Does it eventually, maybe after 5-10 pumps feel like it's building up pressure and moving the clutch plate again ?

This reminds me of good memories with my old Volvo 122S in the 70s
And to downshift, double-clutch (I don't know if it's said like that in English) but without the clutch. Shift to neutral, kick the throttle to get the engine up to speed, and then shift down. If done right, it goes away on its own.
Like in the good old times . :thumb

To give an insight into labour cost have a watch

To give an insight into labour cost have a watch

When we see the complexity of current vehicles, and the costs associated with maintenance operations and spare parts, I'm not sure that we are winners.

When we see the complexity of current vehicles, and the costs associated with maintenance operations and spare parts, I'm not sure that we are winners.
Access to parts isn't part of the design process as I found when replacing the DSG oil filter on my 204.

Back