Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California 2013 CLUTCH - No pedal ?

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi everyone ... Got in the van today and touched the clutch and it slammed to the floor ? Lifted it up but it slams again ?

What is it ?

Snapped cable ? I’m no mechanic thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mate had this in his tiguan (same age) and needed new clutch and flywheel. He was never convinced he wasn't ripped off as some threads mentioned a 20p plastic clip having failed.

Can be a simple clip part or can be more serious like the master cylinder, or mass flywheel, hard to predict sadly.

Could be a pin at the top of the pedal or a clip??
Get on ur Back with a torch and see if you can see the top of the pedal where it connects ??

Could be a pin at the top of the pedal or a clip??
Get on ur Back with a torch and see if you can see the top of the pedal where it connects ??
Hi thanks for the comment . I have taken off the cover around the pedals to see the top of the pedal . I cant see anything amis when I activate the pedal the rod which i presume goes in the Master cylinder moves in and out
What I dont understand is that I have had the van from new and i have never experienced any issues with the clutch whatsoever

Hi thanks for the comment . I have taken off the cover around the pedals to see the top of the pedal . I cant see anything amis when I activate the pedal the rod which i presume goes in the Master cylinder moves in and out
What I dont understand is that I have had the van from new and i have never experienced any issues with the clutch whatsoever
I think the vehicle has a combined clutch/brake fluid reservoir. Is the fluid level OK. If it is then probably a seal gone, probably slave cylinder.
How many miles and is it laid up for prolonged periods?

I think the vehicle has a combined clutch/brake fluid reservoir. Is the fluid level OK. If it is then probably a seal gone, probably slave cylinder.
How many miles and is it laid up for prolonged periods?
Hi thanks the van does have dual brake clutch
It’s done 45 000 it’s been stood 4 days that’s all
Fluid level up to top
No sign of any on the floor
Never had anything go wrong in 6 years so it’s a shock
Cheers

Hi thanks the van does have dual brake clutch
It’s done 45 000 it’s been stood 4 days that’s all
Fluid level up to top
No sign of any on the floor
Never had anything go wrong in 6 years so it’s a shock
Cheers
I was referring more to the possibility that if the vehicle is only used for summer leisure and not used possibly for months at a time then seals etc: can fail .

I listed yesterday problem with my van. I use the van weekly its done 45 ,000 miles . I have always had it serviced by the dealer and I have never had any issues . I had been on holiday a few days and left the van on our drive having just washed and cleaned it . On my return I went to use the van and as soon as I touched the pedal it sprung itself to the floor!
Ive taken the pedal cover off and I have observed the rod attached to the pedal going forwards and backwards so the rod has NOT come adrift as was suggest it might have ?
How do I tell if the Master cylinder is at fault or the slave ? I cant believe why VW would design it so that the subframe has to come off and the gearbox to change the slave cylinder what a silly design !
What puzzles me is why I have had no prior warning issues nothing >? How can this be ? My other concern is taking it to someone who I can trust is not going to make a meal of this and charges me for things that dont need doing ?
I am also surprised that no other owners seem to have had this issue or know how to solve whats causing the problem
Regards Ray

Sorry to hear this. Do you have VW assist / AA etc? If so it might be worth calling them out for their opinion. When I’ve used them in the past on a Land Rover (what a surprise...) the chap was very, very good.

I'm not familiar with the VW clutch, but on hydraulic clutches, there is usually a pedal return spring, either on the pedal pivot or / and within the master cylinder. If your slave had failed or lost fluid the pedal should still return.

Is the master cylinder visible beneath the bonnet? Can you see the pedal rod going in or is it hidden by the cylinder mounting... Sounds like the rod at the pedal has 'disconnected' from the master...
Can you see in the master reservoir if there is any fluid level change / disturbance on pedal operation?

You could pop the hydraulic line or bleed and check for fluid pressurising?

I'm not familiar with the VW clutch, but on hydraulic clutches, there is usually a pedal return spring, either on the pedal pivot or / and within the master cylinder. If your slave had failed or lost fluid the pedal should still return.

Is the master cylinder visible beneath the bonnet? Can you see the pedal rod going in or is it hidden by the cylinder mounting... Sounds like the rod at the pedal has 'disconnected' from the master...
Can you see in the master reservoir if there is any fluid level change / disturbance on pedal operation?

I Have taken the cover off and I can see the rod from the lever going through the bulkhead
The pedal will come back freely and will move backwards and forwards with no pressure required
The fluid level is full to the top , you could not put any more in
I dont know if its possible to see the rod from inside the engine bay ....I dont think its visible ?
Im in the AA but I dont think i'm in the home start so I dont know if I could try it or not
Regards Ray

I listed yesterday problem with my van. I use the van weekly its done 45 ,000 miles . I have always had it serviced by the dealer and I have never had any issues . I had been on holiday a few days and left the van on our drive having just washed and cleaned it . On my return I went to use the van and as soon as I touched the pedal it sprung itself to the floor!
Ive taken the pedal cover off and I have observed the rod attached to the pedal going forwards and backwards so the rod has NOT come adrift as was suggest it might have ?
How do I tell if the Master cylinder is at fault or the slave ? I cant believe why VW would design it so that the subframe has to come off and the gearbox to change the slave cylinder what a silly design !
What puzzles me is why I have had no prior warning issues nothing >? How can this be ? My other concern is taking it to someone who I can trust is not going to make a meal of this and charges me for things that dont need doing ?
I am also surprised that no other owners seem to have had this issue or know how to solve whats causing the problem
Regards Ray
Not knowing which vehicle you have makes helping with advice a little difficult.

Hi yes there is a spring and I think this is to make pushing the lever down easier . The pedal goes both directions freely other than pulling against the spring .
No loss of fluid full to the brim . I replaced all the disc a few months ago with new pads so its full from then
Im in the AA but no home start so I dont know if they would come
Regards Ray

Sorry to hear this. Do you have VW assist / AA etc? If so it might be worth calling them out for their opinion. When I’ve used them in the past on a Land Rover (what a surprise...) the chap was very, very good.
Hi I am in the AA but not home start (i dont think) Ill check . Just need to know what is the main problem and then can plan what to do next and where to take it . But it needs a place with a high roof id say to get the box out
What a stupid set up ! slave in gearbox!

Hi yes there is a spring and I think this is to make pushing the lever down easier . The pedal goes both directions freely other than pulling against the spring .
No loss of fluid full to the brim . I replaced all the disc a few months ago with new pads so its full from then
Im in the AA but no home start so I dont know if they would come
Regards Ray
OK - I've just read online that others have had similar symptoms with pedals dropping, so sorry if I've led wrongly.
They seem to point to the slave end being the usual culprit. Worth checking where the hydraulic line enters at the bellhousing end to check for security... The only way I can think of positively identifying the end at fault would be to disconnect and cap the line to see if the pedal would build pressure again when pumped, this would obviously require the system to be bled of air afterwards and would require a means of blanking the fitting. This should then prove the master cylinder, (which would be the easier and cheaper fix if faulty) or the slave end. I did read that there is a breather assembly where the line connects to the bellhousing (T5) where all that was required was a clip for a loose connection - this should have shown as a leak with fluid loss, as your level is full, it would point to a seal passing within either cylinder. Good luck! :thumb

Edit - post which model you have as others may help better...

Hi I am in the AA but not home start (i dont think) Ill check . Just need to know what is the main problem and then can plan what to do next and where to take it . But it needs a place with a high roof id say to get the box out
What a stupid set up ! slave in gearbox!
Possible help.
Clutch variations 2013.

OK - I've just read online that others have had similar symptoms with pedals dropping, so sorry if I've led wrongly.
They seem to point to the slave end being the usual culprit. Worth checking where the hydraulic line enters at the bellhousing end to check for security... The only way I can think of positively identifying the end at fault would be to disconnect and cap the line to see if the pedal would build pressure again when pumped, this would obviously require the system to be bled of air afterwards and would require a means of blanking the fitting. This should then prove the master cylinder, (which would be the easier and cheaper fix if faulty) or the slave end. I did read that there is a breather assembly where the line connects to the bellhousing (T5) where all that was required was a clip for a loose connection - this should have shown as a leak with fluid loss, as your level is full, it would point to a seal passing within either cylinder. Good luck! :thumb

Edit - post which model you have as others may help better...
Hi yes its a California 2013 6 speed manual

Hi yes its a California 2013 6 speed manual
Hi and thanks you have the same idea as I have . It seems there is a connection point before going into the bell housing . I was going to get a fitting and fit a ballbearing to seal it and like you say try the pedal and I hope its the Master has gone as this seems a lot cheaper and easier to do
Mines out all the time . I have not a big enough garage for it . My VW oval beetle has pride of place and my RV8 Thanks again Ray

Looking at @WelshGas diagram, there is 1 line going to what looks like an external slave? If you don't see fluid loss or signs of leakage, then surely it must be the master cylinder seals, as even a slave failure would still 'dead head' and build pressure (if there was no leakage)?

If you could re-pipe in a blanked (crimped brake) hose onto the master easily as a test, maybe from a breakers yard or friendly garage...

Looking up GSF website, there is also a concentric slave / release bearing slave option? Not sure which you have but if it's external and accessible, should be a much easier fix...

Hi, what was the fix for this please, as mine has just done the same thing?!!?

Hi everyone ... Got in the van today and touched the clutch and it slammed to the floor ? Lifted it up but it slams again ?

What is it ?
Hi, what was the fix to this please as mines just done exactly the same thing?!!?

Clutch slave cylinder will have failed, you may see a drop in the brake fluid reservoir as they share the same fluid. Sub frame off and gearbox out job I’m afraid. May as well fit a new clutch and check condition of the DMF whilst it’s being done. A fairly common problem.

Back