VW California Air Safe Tailgate Hook

gotat5cali

gotat5cali

PhillipR
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all
When I tried out the Air Safe Hook recently it took me half an hour to remove it, and I only succeeded by using brute force. I thought the tailgate lock would be damaged; luckily it wasn't but it is not something I will want to do again.

Have any of you had this problem, or am I doing something wrong? Perhaps there is a simple answer. There were no instructions with the device

Phillip R

Hi there,

I've an original Airsafe (Branderup) which is made of steel bar bent to a hook shape.

I've had no issues with this at all, although it is a little difficult to align at first... Equally you wouldn't want to slam the door closed and hope it catches. (I dread to think of the damage it may cause)

Here's a picture on another forum that shows it in place... Not on a Cali but this gives a best view of how it lines up.

554_zps966d8193.jpg

The pressed steel plate one is a little different, but principle is the same.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

M

I can't see where you are going wrong mine works perfectly in fact I have made a video that I will post up later. these are presicion manufactured in Germany for the t5 tailgate

OK, my hook is then later version (I didn't realise there another, earlier one). I think I shall have to wait for an opportunity to try it when there are other vans and owners around, preferably Calikev. CoTF will be the best place to try it out again.

gotat5cali said:
Hi all
When I tried out the Air Safe Hook recently it took me half an hour to remove it, and I only succeeded by using brute force. I thought the tailgate lock would be damaged; luckily it wasn't but it is not something I will want to do again.

Have any of you had this problem, or am I doing something wrong? Perhaps there is a simple answer. There were no instructions with the device

Phillip R
Your doing something wrong!
Don't know what, but I did the same, still don't know how I did it but I thought I had been sold a pup.
However, when done right it's a piece of cake to fit and remove.
Go and try it again, it will be ok second time, infact sure youll do the same as me and be stumped as to where you went wrong first time.

You do have to line it up as shown above, then close gently.
Should release when you go to open boot
I have never had any problems so far...
Silly question... does the door subsequently lock itself from the inside somehow?

Here is a video link of how to fit the airsafe tailgate catch

VW California airsafe:http://youtu.be/boXxBP9ZfNI

Thanks to all who have replied and to Calikev for the video. I had no problem closing and then opening the tailgate with the Air Safe in situ, my difficulty was in subsequently removing the device from the lock. The video does make it look as easy as I expected it to be. If we do use the van in the next few days as I hope we won't need extra ventilation, rather the reverse I should think.

I will try it again but only when there is someone else with experience around. Thanks once again.

Phillip R

I bought a Branderup AirSafe but just as I was about to take it out of its packaging I noticed that it was "not for auto closing tailgate". I checked the Branderup catalogue and they do have a different part number for the auto version (although the actual part looks pretty much the same to me). Does anyone know where I can buy the auto closing version?

Can someone explain how this is supposed to work, do you leave it on all the time, what happens when you open / close the boot normally with it installed?

You don't leave it on all the time only when you want a little extra air in the van
It does allow you to lock the tailgate with it in place :thumb

Back