Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Ocean 2023 Auto Hold Function - is this an available option?

mvandenberg@1

mvandenberg@1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion

Standard. Has been for a while.
Hi, I am not talking about Hill Hold, but rather the Auto Hold button for when on a flat road standing at a traffic light for instance.

There is as standard a delay on releasing the brakes of about 3 seconds when doing a hill start.
There isn't anything like Mercedes have with their hold function whereby you can press the brakes a bit harder whilst stationary & it keeps them on until either the brake pedal or accelerator is pressed again.

There is as standard a delay on releasing the brakes of about 3 seconds when doing a hill start.
There isn't anything like Mercedes have with their hold function whereby you can press the brakes a bit harder whilst stationary & it keeps them on until either the brake pedal or accelerator is pressed again.
Explains why Mercedes are always slow off the mark.:thumb

Hi, I am not talking about Hill Hold, but rather the Auto Hold button for when on a flat road standing at a traffic light for instance.
Don't know about the latest but on our July 22 MY21 6.1, no, it was not an option. You have to keep your foot on the brake, unlike our Tiguan. All linked, one assumes, to the 6.1 underpinnings and the manual handbrake.

Last edited:
Explains why Mercedes are always slow off the mark.:thumb
Explains why all the brake lights are on when in a queue of traffic, they stay on even with your foot off the brake.

Don't know about the latest but on our July 22 MY21 6.1, no, it was not an option. You have to keep your foot on the brake, unlike our Tiguan. All linked, one assumes, to the 6.1 underpinnings and the manual handbrake.
Thanks for the confirmation, this is what i thought, due to the manual hand brake.

Thanks for the confirmation, this is what i thought, due to the manual hand brake.
I have a 73 plate Ocean. Was a little perplexed today as 2 instances I was expecting the hill hold to operate (like on my mini).

1) Parked downhill, place into reverse, foot on brake, release handbrake van stats to roll forward !!
2) Coming up to a junction on an incline, slow with brake to standstill, release brake van starts to roll backwards !!

... I need to go and out and test some more. OR is this to be expected?

(my mini always holds the brake on for 2-3 seconds in time for me to depress the clutch, engage a gear and slip the clutch)

I have a 73 plate Ocean. Was a little perplexed today as 2 instances I was expecting the hill hold to operate (like on my mini).

1) Parked downhill, place into reverse, foot on brake, release handbrake van stats to roll forward !!
2) Coming up to a junction on an incline, slow with brake to standstill, release brake van starts to roll backwards !!

(my mini always holds the brake on for 2-3 seconds in time for me to depress the clutch, engage a gear and slip the clutch)
AFAIK there is no hill hold on a Cali (towing pack?). So, to be expected and how ours works.

AFAIK there is no hill hold on a Cali (towing pack?). So, to be expected and how ours works.
Thanks. I have a towbar (but no trailer assist)?

Just read the manual - 'Hill Start Assist' is a function of the van apparently.

..im off to find a hill ;)

You need to press the brake a bit harder when you stop. It should hold the same as your mini.
As the system just delays the release of the brakes it won't work if you havn't pressed the pedal hard enough in the first place.

You need to press the brake a bit harder when you stop. It should hold the same as your mini.
As the system just delays the release of the brakes it won't work if you havn't pressed the pedal hard enough in the first place.
ahh that sounds promising. Will try :thumb thanks

Hill Start Assist shows as an option combined with Hill Descent Control on the current UK configurator, but only for 4Motion.

I selected it as an option on our new Cali Ocean build because based on past experience I found the hill descent control very effective on my Tiguan Escape when tackling our steep farm track in winter.

The configurator is confusing though as it seems to list things as part of the option which are standard anyway!! I wonder if Hill Start Assist is standard anyway and just needs a firm press on the brakes to initiate as suggested?

I wonder if Hill Start Assist is standard anyway and just needs a firm press on the brakes to initiate as suggested?
It was standard on my 2014 T5.1 & has been on every van I've had since, if you look under standard equipment on the configurator its showing there.IMG_1953 2.jpeg

It was standard on my 2014 T5.1 & has been on every van I've had since, if you look under standard equipment on the configurator its showing there.
Ok - so on Andy's poking checked and we DO have Hill Start. Found it in the manual and it is the following (as most are auto just put these in). Never noticed it to be honest, but never knew either.

Hill Start.jpeg

Must admit, after a while driving the Cali, my brain thinks I’m driving my Tiguan. I’m the one who stops at lights then creeps forward for a split second as I remember I can’t take my foot off the brake!

Back