Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW considering some factory closures

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I don't know if others here have seen the recent news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ts-in-germany-after-cost-cuts-fail-to-deliver.

Also, I've just seen the following news item about the former VW boss: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn5r9rgg6yno

Having worked for a couple of large German companies (although not in the automative industry), one of which went though a bribery scandal, I can appreciate how this might affect for their corporate mindset for some time. Also, German labour laws made for powerful union control. I remember wanting to work a coulple of hours later in the office one evening to finsish a job. The security guard was alarmed and worried to see me there and said I had to leave because I wasn't allowed to work longer (this even though I was freelance).

I hope things settle for them

VW didn't take the move to EVs seriously. Or at least they did not comprehend that Software becomes just as important, if not more, in an EV. I believe they still outsource the software side. Their EV's are over priced and years behind those of their competitors. Teslas just get smarter and smarter in comparison. As more and more buyers move to EVs, VW will get in bigger trouble.

VW didn't take the move to EVs seriously. Or at least they did not comprehend that Software becomes just as important, if not more, in an EV. I believe they still outsource the software side. Their EV's are over priced and years behind those of their competitors. Teslas just get smarter and smarter in comparison. As more and more buyers move to EVs, VW will get in bigger trouble.
The VAG EVs were not that badly priced compared to BMW, but BMW doing much better in EV world. BMWs actually have great software though so it makes a big difference.

I don't think that's going to happen. The distant future will be synthetic e fuels due to future lithium shortages

I read this too, I think there is a wider issue that China can make EV's so cheaply many are struggling to compete. This may be sorted in some way with import tariffs.

I read this too, I think there is a wider issue that China can make EV's so cheaply many are struggling to compete. This may be sorted in some way with import tariffs.
Except that VW Cupra EV models are made in China so would be liable for such tariffs also.

I don't know if others here have seen the recent news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ts-in-germany-after-cost-cuts-fail-to-deliver.

Also, I've just seen the following news item about the former VW boss: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn5r9rgg6yno

Having worked for a couple of large German companies (although not in the automative industry), one of which went though a bribery scandal, I can appreciate how this might affect for their corporate mindset for some time. Also, German labour laws made for powerful union control. I remember wanting to work a coulple of hours later in the office one evening to finsish a job. The security guard was alarmed and worried to see me there and said I had to leave because I wasn't allowed to work longer (this even though I was freelance).

I hope things settle for them
I think this issue is in very small part due to their software. I love VW Golf cars and would go for an electric in a heartbeat. However their infotainment systems have been very badly rated which has prevented me from buying.

I’m not too sure that good union representation got in the way of Germany developing the biggest automotive industry in Europe, I’m not convinced it will hinder the recovery either.

In the UK very few people are buying EVs, the market only exists because of the lease hire industry. I think most are waiting for the technology to stabilise and prices to fall. VAG are well poised to exploit the market once we reach that point.

Volvo backtracking now.
Europe in general has back tracked , using Coal fired power stations etc , will not be putting further charging infrastructure in place for EVs etc .

It’s a non starter for Euro sone , double whammy, loss of manufacturing and additional costs to government!

Import tariffs will be the least of our worries. We're edging towards a 'war' with China. The only uncecrtainty is whether that's a 'trade' war or a 'hot' war. Best not to rely on Chinese products or components for the foreseeable future.

I love my e-up. I think that’s a good EV that VW made. Although the ‘software’ is mainly a cradle for me to put my phone in! :)

Back