Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Reliability and Warranty Claim Survey

G

gatvol

Seeing the recent thread from PaulS, I echo his worries about the fragile build quality of the Calis.

Internet forums are great to alert people what to watch out for, and to help owners get work properly identified during the warranty period. But forums also tend to present the negative sides of ownership as people seek advice and solutions from the ownership community.

I love my Cali but am giving serious thought to selling it at 2.5 years old as in my opinion vw-Audi build quality is lamentable these days and I base this on my 5 years with a 2007 Audi S5 and 18 months with my 2011 Cali. I have numerous friends who have also noticed this decline in vw-audi reliability. This is in stark contrast to 5 other vw-audis I had that were made in the 70s, 80s and 90s that built my brand loyalty.

Might I suggest a new post whereby folk indicate what, if any, problems they have had under the warranty period. I really want to believe that I should keep my Cali, so good news would also be appreciated.

A suitable format might be a simple list of warranty issues in the first three years. Then a simple list of work post three years. People can update their posts in the future if they get good or bad news as time goes by

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cali

61 plate 180 dsg. Warranty issues in first three years. New passenger window motor. New 310 radio. New speedo and rev counter instrument binnacle. 4 new Thunder alloys. Bubbling roof paint. New camper control unit. New fresh water level gauge. Last update 11,000 miles

New steering column, new rear differential, roof paint done, aircon fault corrected, new fresh and grey water tank gauges.
And non warranty issues; wheels not properly lacquered (IMO) and uneven tyre wear (same on both fronts) indicated tracking was out from new. Also had VW Assist out to clear an EGR valve fault code. On 15k miles, 61 plate 180 4motion.

Although not a T5 owner I have had VWs since the early 1970s and a right VW nut, in all fairness not all bits on the Cali are made by VW and if you look at other makes of new cars they all seem to have problems and call backs. Just me defending VW !
Ron.

In the old days cars would brake down on regular occasions. Now it is very rare to actally brake down. However cars are way more complex and we get more niggly faults. I think if you read forums you will find "common" faults on all cars.

I ran a 2008 vw eos for 4.5 years with only a couple of minor sensor faults, so it is not fair to say all VAG cars are unreliable.

My other car is a bmw 520 and apparently that gas loads of faults if you watch watchdog or read forums. Mine seams to be fine.

All modern diesels suffer from EGR issues, which apoears to be the price we pay for low emmisions.

T

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

We have had the electronic box that controls the elevating roof fail with the roof up. Done under warranty with Volkswagen Assist.
I discovered just yesterday corrosion on the front roof area over the windscreen. I am expecting this to be done under warranty too but have not yet spoken to anyone because of the holiday
Given that my T4 Westfalia lasted 11 years and only went into the garage when I bent it or for service, this is disappointing. I bought a California because it is a great design and becuase of what I expected to be the longevity and build quality........
Perhaps I should have gone for the Merc Westfalia?

teeboy said:
In the old days cars would brake down on regular occasions. Now it is very rare to actally brake down. However cars are way more complex and we get more niggly faults. I think if you read forums you will find "common" faults on all cars.

I ran a 2008 vw eos for 4.5 years with only a couple of minor sensor faults, so it is not fair to say all VAG cars are unreliable.

My other car is a bmw 520 and apparently that gas loads of faults if you watch watchdog or read forums. Mine seams to be fine.

All modern diesels suffer from EGR issues, which apoears to be the price we pay for low emmisions.

T

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

I think that's the point - the Cali build quality may seem poor but it is a very complex vehicle and all modern cars are very complex.

Forums always magnify issues although there does seem to be a number of recurring issues.

People mention less the 2005/2006 Calis still on the road with little issues.

I am not being blind but I think you need perspective and context.

James

True enough James but I'd say the number of issues is high considering how few Calis there are.

Our diff replacement was a manufacturing fault, the steering column is common and only the roof and gauges are Cali specific; these are mostly issues with the base van not the conversion.

I know it's a boring old moan but it's a bit off for a £50k vehicle. Our BM had a minor brake issue, easily sorted in five years of ownership. It's otherwise been flawless and sits in a similar price bracket when new.

I love the Cali to bits but there does come a point (as we reached with our LR Defender) where you wonder what might go wrong next.

This is all correct.

After my long trip I had about 20 items that needed attention. Luckily VW Plympton put them all through under warranty and now I have a van out of warranty that is 100% tip top.

Due to my trip of 15 months away I will never sell my Cali as its a part of me, but my experience with it tells me it is far to fragile....for purpose.

Today 12000 miles clocked up from purchase in early September 2012 (99 miles when bought and 6 months old).

We have had no issues with build quality of the van to date The van is our daily drive we have used the Cali to its maximum nothing has broken, I would say we are careful with it but have not treated it with kid gloves.

Had the near side indicator changed due to having condensation in it on collection.
electrical repair as wire to break master cylinder eaten by RATS. (thats another post)

I reckon I master most things now roof checking on putting down , keeping keys on me, not getting 5 miles down the road and having to get out and turn the gas off.

This forum has helped making the 1st year of ownership easier and more enjoyable I now consider myself confident in the use of our Cali.

Our van plan is keep it for the long term I feel once you have the campervan bug it becomes either a long term thing or you do not get into it a sell on quickly and cut yourself losses.

Would like to see what VW could do with a LWB Cali build until then sticking with what we have.

HY09UMU said:
Today 12000 miles clocked up from purchase in early September 2012 (99 miles when bought and 6 months old).

My OCD wants, so desperately, to correct your signature... :oops: :lol:

KernowLad said:
HY09UMU said:

little bit of dyslexia never keeps me awake at night but l may update for you some time :hello

if it helps your OCD

HY09UMU said:
KernowLad said:
HY09UMU said:

little bit of dyslexia never keeps me awake at night but l may update for you some time :hello

if it helps your OCD

If will help immensely - thanks! Actually I do a lot of proofing for work and can't seem to help pointing out errors. It's not proper OCD but I should be stronger in my resistance... :headbang

My Cali is approaching the end of its warranty period, wondering if an extended warranty is worth it. Possibly not given the list of exclusions and the £2500 + VAT claim limit...
Since I bought my van, Approved Used and 9 months old, I've had the following done:

Fuel line vibration proofing recall
Passenger underseat wiring (mashed by previous owner and not discovered until I had brought it home)
Stuck fuel gauge, which also resulted in a fuel pump needing to be changed.
Driver's side seat airbag
Passenger's side seat airbag

Just before we went away a few weeks ago the airbag warning light came on again, and the vehicle is currently with my local dealer - it's the passenger side seat airbag again.

Back