Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Dakar Alloys 18"

John

John

VIP Member
Original post rob

im considering buying dakar alloys 18" to replace my standard 16
" can anyone advise me what the difference will be between the 2 sets of wheels when im driving ? will the 2" change the handling ?
many thanks

Original post Calikev

Hi rob and welcome
I am no expert on wheels but I would say if you keep the same profile tyres you won't
Notice much difference in the ride it may alter your speedo reading a little.there must be someone on here that has them fitted so I'm sure they be able to help you more.

Original post grahamwise

I'm pretty sure that the recommended tyre for the 18" wheel is lower profile and wider. So in theory the roadholding should improve but the ride will suffer.

Original post dex14

Rob,

I have just fitted the 18" Sportline wheels with the VW lowering springs. The difference is great. The look is spot on but more importantly the ride has improved. Basically the springs have taken the bounce out of the ride. Some will say coilovers are better but for the price the lowering springs do a good job. Without the springs, I don't think it will actually make much difference to the ride but it will still look really good. Dakars are pricey but a really nice wheel.

Original post rob

thanks for help , would like to lower too but can only afford alloys or springs.....decisions

Original post smgcowfold

You may find the ride slightly stiffer than before as the tyres will be a lower profile. As the rolling radius should still be the same the speedo reading should be pretty much the same as well.

cheers

I have just been wondering about the diffences between 16", 17" and 18" alloys. The rolling radius all seems the same as the tyres get gradually lower in profile from 60' through 55 to 50.

Rolling radius is the same - the bigger the alloy, the lower profile the tyre.

The profile is more like a percentage/ratio of the width of the tyre, not an actual unit. The width (usually in mm!) and diameter (in inches!!) are proper measurements.

TBH on a van, it will mostly be cosmetic and we don't need tonnes of grip. I'm a bit anti big wheels - harsher ride, easier to kerb, harder to find tyres and quite critically for the 18s, no spare wheel. The 17s are plenty IMO (and that is just an opinion!). Same on the BM - went for the smallest wheels that still fit the brake disks in - also 17s.

Higher profile tyres give a softer ride and "let go" more predictably than lower profile tyres. But TBH if you're getting anywhere near the limit of grip, you're going WAY too fast!

I also got some quotes and the price for 18s (to go on bling bling bi-colour Dakars) are almost double the price of 16s.
It would be cheaper to Hammerite (well, Smoothrite) some 16s. :eek: :rofl
It worked well enough in white with the old 110" Landy

Skywalker said:
I also got some quotes and the price for 18s (to go on bling bling bi-colour Dakars) are almost double the price of 16s.
It would be cheaper to Hammerite (well, Smoothrite) some 16s. :eek: :rofl
It worked well enough in white with the old 110" Landy

Any pics? SO nearly sprayed our 110 Boost alloys black. But chickened out!

HOW many of us have owned Defenders? Seems like loads?!!

KernowLad said:
Any pics? SO nearly sprayed our 110 Boost alloys black. But chickened out!

HOW many of us have owned Defenders? Seems like loads?!!

No phots, sorry. It was just the original steel wheels which needed a refurb. They came up a dream. I bet the Boosts would have worked and looked a dream.

My landy was a G plate 3.5 V8 CSW. It would have been slightly more economical to just set fire to the petrol rather than turn it into beautiful sounds and silly speeds on the motorway.

I do think that a Rover is an itch which sometimes has to be scratched. I would still have an SVX 90" soft top if I could!! :shocked

Far more proper than ours then - a 57 plate 2.4TDCi 110XS.

Despite being diesel, it was still cr4p on fuel and cost the same as a supercharged V8 RR to tax!

I have yet to own a V8 - I will see to that fairly soon I hope.

I had a part share in a 110 called Arnie a number of years ago. Most memorable drive was with a snapped throttle cable on Salisbury plain - had to operate the throttle by pulling the cable through the window. Great fun..

I've got a lowered Cali with 17" thunder alloys and am thinking of replacing the wheels with 18" dakars for the appearance.

Has anybody done this change on a lowered van?

What is the difference like in the ride between 17" and 18" - is it noticeable?

Like I said, I'm doing it for looks but don't want to suffer a bad ride for it.

Thanks

Re: VW Dakar Alloys 18"

There's not doubt that the ride will be worse on 18" with lower wider rubber ..

I think Martin T5WOB has 18s & lowered suspension on his van.

Re: VW Dakar Alloys 18"

Hi there,

I run lowered suspension and 18" on my 2009 Cali...

Have to say, ride much better once lowered... Less body roll.

Didn't notice much difference between the 16" and 18"... Just a little less tram lining with the 18".

Our 8 year old daughter reckons she travels better in the back now.

You're more than welcome to take it for a spin if we meet up sometime... Only real way to see what you think... It can be a little subjective.

Rgds

Mark

Back