Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre size and spare wheel - wheel upgrades

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
So I've finally managed to source an upgrade wheel set, only 7 years after buying our Cali !!!

Just sourced a second hand set of Dakar bi colour alloys and need a full set of new tyres.

I've got 17" alloys with Dunlop tyres to come off the van and 18" Dakar wheels to go back on. I'll be fitting the new alloys with Dunlops as I've got 20k miles out of two front sets having owned the van from new - so very happy with these tyres.

Two questions;
1. Is the 18" tyre selection straightforward? Or are there a variety of 'profile' choices to consider?
2. Depending on answer to point 1 above, can I retain the existing 17" steel spare wheel that came with the van and will it have the same rolling radius as the new 18" wheel with a lower profile tyre, or have I now got to consider a replacement spare or alternative options

You can keep the 17 as a spare I would use 235-50-18’s

I have the 18" T6 Sportline wheels. The factory tyre size on my wheels is 255 45.

So my eBay bargain Dakar wheel gamble didn't quite pay off!!!!!

One of the wheels has previously been refurbished and therefore cannot have the face machined again to create the polished edges to restore the bi colour look as original. All four wheels were straight and no defects so a bit of a pain!!

I'm now on the hunt for either a lone dakar wheel or may have to buy a new one and see if I can blag a discount to offset some of the cost.

I can't see any discounts via the forum for VW dealers or wheel suppliers, but if anyone knows different then let me know.

I therefore have one Dakar 18" wheel for sale. I've paid to have it professionally stripped, repainted plain silver, lacquered etc.. It's now as new but it cannot be converted to a bi colour by having the face machined (no tyre fitted). If anyone needs a spare then let me know.

I ordered a brand new Dakar wheel from SMG Cowfold, Steve was hugely helpful, I got a forum discount and next day delivery for a very reasonable cost..

I know have a full set, so off to order tyres

I have 1 Dakar wheel in silver for sale, fully refurbished, all straight if anyone requires one - I'll add it onto the for sale section