Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW flyscreens - replace mesh?

P

paul_f

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The mesh in the VW flyscreens isn't very fine, so I suspect they will let in the Scottish midges. Has anyone ever tried to replace the mesh?
I have a damaged one, so was going to give it a go by trying to melt the glue using hot water

I would get some white fine net curtain and tape it to the frame of the fly screen. Alternatively use cushioned magnets and attach the net curtain to the outside of the van. The last version is what we do, very effective. Ensure you have a big overlap onto the van body.

I tried separating the two halves to replace the mesh, but they are pretty firmly fixed together and I wasn't willing to force the issue given the extortionate cost of replacing them. If yours is damaged then you may be willing to get more aggressive with it! Our heat gun was also broken at the time, which didn't help my efforts. Instead I bought some midge netting from these people in Scotland and just stuck it to the frame with gaffer tape. The green colour is dark enough that it just looks black against the original netting anyway, particularly when in place on the window. The frame also hides the gaffer tape from the outside, so it's barely noticeable.

As an aside, the website I linked to looks like it hasn't been updated since 1998 so I was a bit wary about ordering through it, but all went without a hitch.

IMG_1285.jpg

The mesh in the VW flyscreens isn't very fine, so I suspect they will let in the Scottish midges. Has anyone ever tried to replace the mesh?
I have a damaged one, so was going to give it a go by trying to melt the glue using hot water
We have visited Scotland in the van many times and midge can find their way through the fly screen mesh but only a tenacious few seem to manage it.

I have thought about adding a layer of midge proof net to the mesh but I didn't want to restrict airflow as we rely on the screens for ventilation especially during the night. My solution is to rub Smidge repellent on the mesh especially during the evening and this seems to deter the brave few who might have ordinarily breeched the weakest point in our midge defenses.

Smidge is DEET free and therefore doesn't damage the mesh, I suspect many other insect repellents would damage / possibly melt the mesh.

I wouldn't assume that any Midge inside has come through the window mesh. Most likely is the huge hole when you open a door plus the unknown number that are on your clothing when you enter after a walk however short.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but where can I purchase these please, or are they standard equipment that should be supplied with my Cali Ocean? Thanks.

Kill them when they get in.
I use a mains plug in Insecticide dispenser plugged into the Inverter socket . Has worked all over Europe to keep the van insect free. Even in Norway that also have midges. Can't vouch for Scotland.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but where can I purchase these please, or are they standard equipment that should be supplied with my Cali Ocean? Thanks.
Were supplied with the T6 but not now with the T6.1 which also now has a window size/design change. Currently there is a shortage of T6.1 ones or third party supplies.
There is a separate Thread about these and the VW part number.

An alternative vent from CSI

Were supplied with the T6 but not now with the T6.1 which also now has a window size/design change. Currently there is a shortage of T6.1 ones or third party supplies.
There is a separate Thread about these and the VW part number.

An alternative vent from CSI

Do yo have the thread or vw part number please? Thanks

I have just remembered that I bought one of these Jerba "midge proof screens" to replace a broken VW flyscreen but before lockdown so I havent had a chance to use it yet / comment on how well it works / fits etc. They only fit the factory fitted side windows and not aftermarket / 3rd party windows

I got them apart, the glue appears to be a super glue type so the heat gun didn't really help.
I first used a Stanley knife, and then use a taping knife. The corners were very difficult

IMG_20210323_102529.jpg

IMG_20210323_102601.jpg

IMG_20210323_105448.jpg

IMG_20210323_105456.jpg

Afraid not as I think buried in a T6.1 delays thread, I think.

hope whoever put it on will read this and update you.
Part number 7LA068528 price is £125.71 inc VAT each. This information was from member Minime082.

Part number 7LA068528 price is £125.71 inc VAT each. This information was from member Minime082.

shocking price and shocking it isn't included as accessories with the vehicle like its predecessors but thanks for finding out

Bit of a cashcow for VW although I've seen them slightly cheaper in ebay.de

I predominantly need them for keeping the windows open slightly overnight to prevent condensation build-up unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Thanks

I have a brand new set still in the wrapping
Pm me if you’re interested we no longer own a California T6 ones NOT 6.1 sorry

shocking price and shocking it isn't included as accessories with the vehicle like its predecessors but thanks for finding out

Bit of a cashcow for VW although I've seen them slightly cheaper in ebay.de

I predominantly need them for keeping the windows open slightly overnight to prevent condensation build-up unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Thanks
Wind deflectors for front windows, allow windows open 2cm without rain getting in? Many types available. Or

Wind deflectors for front windows, allow windows open 2cm without rain getting in? Many types available. Or

Wind deflectors are not aesthetically pleasing on the eye for me unfortunately but I like the vented grille option and I'll take a closer look. Thanks

I bought some fine mesh and self sticking velcro at a local discount shop and cut them to fit the window screen and the roof vents.

Plus USB zapper for sleeping (worked great!) and citronella candle so they don't want to come in.

BA432ADD-FCA4-4B23-853D-C6259A061860.jpeg

I bought some fine mesh and self sticking velcro at a local discount shop and cut them to fit the window screen and the roof vents.

Plus USB zapper for sleeping (worked great!) and citronella candle so they don't want to come in.

View attachment 75899
Agreed, added midge net to the roof vents, thinking of doing the side window meshes too.
I had got those VW window screens too, after a fair bit of faff I got them in.
I decided in bad midge conditions, by the time they were fitted there would be lots of midge in the van.
So I made what I had used in my other camper for 50 nights a year in prime highland midge season, a midge bag
The bag is designed to stay in place over the whole side window using velcro with excess netting to enable the window to be opened without removing the mesh. Result no reduction in protection when opening the windows.

One thing I forgot to mention is using a battery racquet zapper to clear out any midges before bed time, they always seem to congregate on the roof lining so a wipe round with the racquet clear them, nothing worse than your face being bitten when you are trying to sleep.

Last edited:
Agreed, added midge net to the roof vents, thinking of doing the side window meshes too.
I had got those VW window screens too, after a fair bit of faff I got them in.
I decided in bad midge conditions, by the time they were fitted there would be lots of midge in the van.
So I made what I had used in my other camper for 50 nights a year in prime highland midge season, a midge bag
The bag is designed to stay in place over the whole side window using velcro with excess netting to enable the window to be opened without removing the mesh. Result no reduction in protection when opening the windows.
After struggling to fit the fly screen in the open window, I saw this video, maybe it will be of some use. It's easy.

The video was very useful. My upgraded midge screen is now complete.
Has anyone got a torn fly screen they want to sell?

IMG_20210401_152431_copy_3156x3686.jpg

IMG_20210331_062117.jpg

Back