Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack Advice

M

MacCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi. We have just bought a T5 Cali and we’re looking to buy a bike rack for 2/3 bikes.
Stan the van has a factory fitted detachable tow bar so we have two choices, either a tow bar bike rack or the one that attaches to the door. Pros and cons of either please?

I have the VW tailgate rack. I like the look and its functional. Instead of bikes, you can also use it to travel with other things you might not wish to store inside. An awning perhaps? so I can't lose.
That said I think the tow bar options might be better. Lower to the ground = easier to use IMO.
You also return the van back to its designed length when you aren't carrying bikes as opposed to leaving the tailgate rack in place and rendering the reversing sensors and camera almost useless.

I have the VW tailgate rack. I like the look and its functional. Instead of bikes, you can also use it to travel with other things you might not wish to store inside. An awning perhaps? so I can't lose.
That said I think the tow bar options might be better. Lower to the ground = easier to use IMO.
You also return the van back to its designed length when you aren't carrying bikes as opposed to leaving the tailgate rack in place and rendering the reversing sensors and camera almost useless.
Thank you for your reply, good point re using it for transporting other gear, hadn’t considered that :)

Worth a search of posts as there are loads of posts on the subject.
I've got a Thule tow bar mounted 2 bike carrier and on balance think it's better than the tailgate option.
It allows access to open tailgate with bikes in situ. It can be easily removed when not needed. Easy to lift bikes on and off. Does not add to overall height of van.
Tailgate racks obviously have their advantages but the one disadvantage that would worry me would be not being able to open tailgate with the roof up (I might be wrong) and bikes loaded.

Not sure you will get too many replies as it's one of the most asked questions over the years and loads of previous on this that makes it worth a search. Pro and cons. Main advantage of the tow bar is easier to load and there is nothing on there if you don't need to carry bikes, but I much prefer the look of the Cali with the VW rack - as much an essential part for me as the awning, table and chairs. It's always there, great design, super simple/quick to drop and load, you can still lift the tailgate with two bikes on there and roof up (even three - and yes we all know you're not supposed to!), reversing sensors can be used etc.

And of course it's a popular washing/towel rail - even better if you loop some paracord round from side to side a few times to give more lines. :)

IMG_5381.JPG

Not sure you will get too many replies as it's one of the most asked questions over the years and loads of previous on this that makes it worth a search. Pro and cons. Main advantage of the tow bar is easier to load and there is nothing on there if you don't need to carry bikes, but I much prefer the look of the Cali with the VW rack - as much an essential part for me as the awning, table and chairs. It's always there, great design, super simple/quick to drop and load, you can still lift the tailgate with two bikes on there and roof up (even three - and yes we all know you're not supposed to!), reversing sensors can be used etc.

And of course it's a popular washing/towel rail - even better if you loop some paracord round from side to side a few times to give more lines. :)

View attachment 35920
Thanks for your reply , I did have a quick look but wasn’t sure which category to search in. I will have another go at it as I realise repeat questions can get boring

Not at all - you might upset HC ;) but new people come all the time and they have the same questions but with other new people to chip in afresh you get new answers and opinions too.

There are only so many questions to ask in general and forums would all die if repetition was outlawed!

Aha...I have been moved to the proper place, thank you, and now I can see lots of bike rack posts..even better :thanks